Start by marking “Granite Man (MacKenzie-Blackthorn #4)” as Want to Read:
Granite Man (MacKenzie-Blackthorn #4)

Granite Man (MacKenzie-Blackthorn #4)

Mariah had returned home to her sprawling Colorado ranch with nothing but a battered car, some clothes and a map for gold. And what she got was an ornery prospecting partner named Cash, with a chip on his shoulder as big as the Rockies and a past that was chasing him. Cash couldn't hide his distrust . . . or his awareness of her sensuality.
Paperback, Silhouette Desire #625, 251 pages
Published December 1st 1994 by Mira (first published February 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Granite Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Granite Man

Lyndi
Mar 16, 2015 Lyndi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every emotional scene is slightly overdone. When Mariah becomes desperate, she becomes really fucking desperate. When Cash turns cruel, he turns really fucking cruel. When Mariah becomes depressed and hopeless, she becomes really fucking depressed and hopeless. Everything is overdramatized just enough to come across as a bit ridiculous. And it was an entertaining read all the more for it.
T.
Jul 19, 2015 T. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this when it was first released as a paperback, for Silhouette in March, 1991. I bought all four of this series (at the time there were only four) and the paperbacks have moved with me through many states and many re-readings. Now that they are available as Kindle books, I purchased them again and am reading them on my Kindle.

I have to say, this IS a good book, but I wasn't impressed with Mariah and frankly I hated Cash periodically throughout the story. Nonetheless, I like the series, lo
Erinn
Okay, so I have read every book in the MacKenzie-Blackthorn series except the last one, which I will read shortly, and all I can really say is that they're all okay. Not great. Not super unique. Just okay. They all have essentially the same plotline: guy gets snubbed by previous wife/lover and doesn't trust women anymore. A remarkably gorgeous lady stranger shows up at the Rocking M, and while each of these men are cautious about the women sinking them into some type of marriage trap, it in no w ...more
Jenny
Feb 08, 2016 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: heroine-i-adore
full of melodrama and passion! loved, loved it but the ending was abrupt!
Sheila Melo
Feb 06, 2015 Sheila Melo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic 1990s Category Romance

THE STORY: Mariah MacKenzie has come back to the Rocking M ranch looking for the brother from whom she was separated from 15 years ago. After years of not belonging, Mariah is looking for a home. She ends up meeting Cash McQueen, her brother's best friend. The attraction between Mariah and Cash is fierce even as Cash has a deep distrust of women.

OPINION: This is the weakest of the Rocking M romances. This book has many of the qualities that I love in these romances:
Andria
Feb 18, 2014 Andria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: random-favorites
I read this book in the course of one sitting. I'd've awarded it five stars, but the ending was rather abrupt and there were a few things that felt like it made the book move too fast plotwise. Overall, I really enjoyed this one, and the characters were pretty cool, as were the details about hunting for gold. Both main characters had emotional issues to deal with, and both main characters seemed very real to me. I enjoyed this book tremendously.
Jada
Feb 15, 2015 Jada rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
no matter how many times i read a book from Miss Elizabeth Lowell, I still feel the same emotion I felt the first time reading it. this book is a good read and my heart ached while reading it, this is not my favorite book from Ms Lowell but I would still recommend it :)
Anita
May 22, 2014 Anita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Like a lot of Elizabeth Lowell's oldies, this one was entertaining, but scored a little high on the angst scale. Mariah was taken away from her father and the brother, Luke, she dearly loved. Mommie Dearest interrupted any attempt at communication between them. Mommie dies and evil step-dad dumps her out on her own. Mariah makes her way to the Rocking M ranch to reunite with Luke. She meets up with Cash, Luke's brother-in-law, and does not make a favorable impression on him. Cash thinks all wome ...more
Christine
I have been disappointed in these books in this series after the 1st book. This was short, ended abruptly and was too similar to all the other books after the 1st one.
Jane Drager
Apr 18, 2016 Jane Drager rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion, this story has a powerful ending and is well worth a read. Good characterization, good storyline, good follow-thru by the author.
Dee Fraser
Mar 23, 2015 Dee Fraser rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My least favorite in the series. Story was slow and not all that interesting.
Melissa
May 05, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love western books and this follows the typical Elizabeth Lowell formula. A little overly dramatic but what can you expect from stories wrote in the early 90's.
Maddux
3 stars. I took issue with the hero in this one.
Wendy Anderson-locke
sexy and somewhat predictable
Julie
Oct 17, 2014 Julie rated it it was ok
ok read
Beth
Jan 26, 2012 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elizabeth-lowell
Cash and ? are staying at her brother ranch. She has been abandoned by her parents and understands the need to feel trusted and accepted. Cash, bitter from his divorce, wants to NOT trust her but doesn't see the evil but rather trust and goodness. They pan for gold and share that passion together. Her pregnancy becomes the catalysis of his anger and his doubts about her honesty. Then trust and acceptance becomes their spoken language. Good book
C K
Oct 10, 2012 C K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
his series (Granite Man, Fire and Rain, Warrior, Outlaw) on the people of Rocking M ranch is fantanstic! This is an author that I have read a lot of and have added her books to my 'keeper' book shelf. Most I have read at least twice and some even more than that. Always in depth characters that anyone can identify with on some level.
Joan
Jan 31, 2013 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by the wonderful story and the character development. I usually don't do a western romance so to speak, but this one has abit of everything, romance, tension, lost relative, lost treasure, beautiful scenery and older man, younger woman. Got all that and you got a really good read.
Jill
Oct 27, 2009 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't decide which is my favorite book out of this series, but this was a little better. It definitely had a little bit more of an ending compared to Nevada's book, but I'm a little surprised Mariah believed Cash's quick turn-around.
Sheila
Jun 06, 2012 Sheila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Loved this book. First time iv read a silhouette book now i'm hooked i buy everyone i see and cant wait to read the rest!
Lesli
Jul 14, 2010 Lesli rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, 1994
Mariah and Cash in this one. Not my most favorite; but still a fun read if a have an hour or so.
Dana
Cash and Mariah

Cash is pretty unlikeable, bu I do like the Mackenzie series.
Karen DeCapite
Apr 30, 2008 Karen DeCapite rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book!!! addicting! good thing it's in a series
Suziep11
Apr 12, 2015 Gee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: category-romance
library
  • A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
  • Loving Evangeline (Patterson - Cannon Family, #2)
  • The Ruby
  • The Rawhide Man
  • Montana Man
  • Midnight Jewels
  • Threads of Destiny (Clan Mackenzie, #1)
  • Contract Baby (The Husband Hunters, #3)
19051
Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written over 60 novels and one work of non-fiction. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. Her novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery. After working in contemporary and historical romance, she became an innovator in the genre of romantic ...more
More about Elizabeth Lowell...

MacKenzie-Blackthorn (5 books)
  • Reckless Love (MacKenzie-Blackthorn #1)
  • Fire and Rain (Silhouette Desire, #546)
  • Outlaw