Start by marking “Rise Of The Heroes (Hero.Com, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rise Of The Heroes (Hero.Com, #1)

Rise Of The Heroes (Hero.Com #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  292 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Surfing the net during a lightning storm has amazing consequences for a group of teenage friends. Superhero powers are theirs at the click of a mouse! Trouble is, they don't know what the powers will be until they try them out ...

But super powers carry super responsibilities. When a weather-altering, world-conquering supervillain kidnaps their mum, they have to decide: sav
Published June 1st 2008 by Oxford University Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Rise Of The Heroes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rise Of The Heroes

Mary
Four friends become involved in a fight against an evil villain, Doc Tempest, when Toby and Lorna's computer is affected by a lightning strike and displays a web site, hero.com, where they download superhero powers and choose "jobs." This seems like fun until Doc Tempest creates a storm that destroys Toby and Lorna's house and he kidnaps their mother Sarah without her insulin. Toby, Lorna, Pete and Emily salvage the hard drive from the destroyed computer, and try to figure out how to rescue Sara ...more
Gary
This books starts off with a group of friends named Lorna, Emily, Toby and Pete who lived pretty normal lives. But one day, during a storm lightning hit their computer and the website turns to a website named Hero.com with a weird irl...The group presses a button on that website with a picture of a stick figure on it and suddenly, they have super powers! As they look on, they see a job board and they go off to stop a robbery and this person named Doc Tempest is acting all superior and creepy...U ...more
Mel Russell
This slotted in nicely with plot points (such as the kidnapping of the Ukrainian)and characters from theVillain.net series, although Toby and Emily had only been mentioned in passing. As there were 4 main characters opposed to 1 inVillain.net this felt like it had more of a human element, especially the lengths that Toby and Lorna were prepared to go toto get their Mum back. Also Pete's parents arguing is something that many young readers might be able to relate to.

Thecliffhanger at the end didn
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Bored in the house one afternoon, Toby and Lorna and their friends stumble upon an interesting website that grants them superpowers for an hour. They try out the powers, not believing their eyes.

After a parent interrupts them, they're desperate to try again. They reconvene at the next possible opportunity to each sign up for powers and test them out. With their new powers comes responsibility - they now must stop a robbery in progress.

However, the
Ben King
In the middle of a thunder storm Toby, Pete, Emily and Lorn log on to the internet. Until lighting hits the local phone line resulting in the computer moniter flashing wildly. Once the computer become functional again they find themselves on a different page then before. ###%%%@@#$%Hero.com What kind of site is this, Where is the HTTP:\\? Impatient to find out Toby clicks on a strange icon. Suddenly his hands are stuck to the desk. It doesn't take Pete - comic fan long to work out what has happe ...more
Emma (Miss Print)
Rise of the Heroes (2009) is the first book in Andy Briggs' intriguing new series Hero.com. Part of the interest arises from the fact that there is a companion series (Villain.net) which begins with Council of Evil.

While I did not quite know what to expect from the book, I was excited when I got my hands on a copy of Rise of the Heroes. The book begins with four children. Toby and his older sister Lorna are trapped inside their house during a torrential downpour with their two best friends (Pete
James Hargest Library
Sue Murdoch
I did enjoy Heroes, but having since read the first Villain.net, enjoyed that more. There's something about a complex villain! The four children in Heroes share comfortable, easy going lives...until they discover super powers, whereas Jake Hunter was, in spite of his privileges, a more disturbed and interesting character to get to know. However, the description of Tempest, the action and tension, particularly to save their mum, kept the pages turning! So a great adventure story for young teens. ...more
(This review may contain spoilers).

I liked the look of these books when I saw them on Amazon, so I asked for this and Villain.net books and got the first of each for Christmas. I just finished reading Rise of the Heroes and although I found it a little difficult to get into at first, it did get better as the book went on.

I do have one nitpick, though, which I've noticed a lot with these types of books - the bad guys have no depth to them. There's the whole Council of Evil thing and they describe
Samar A
Fiction:
hero.com

It all started when a couple of kids where messing around on their computer and stumbled across a website called hero.com. Naturally out of curiosity they clicked on the link and found themselves getting scanned the next thing you know they change.

I like this book because it is very imaginative and it feels like you are there with them helping them all because the writer described his book well which I think is a key point in stories and writing. I also liked this book because
CHEESEBURGER
I like the villain.net series better. they were more exiting and more well written.
but this book was funny. I can tell you that.

but I would advise the Villain.net books to everyone
Ryoma Echizen
Andy Briggs's Hero.com Rise of the Heroes by Andy Briggs is a book for kids. This book talks about 4 teens who're Lorna, Emily, Toby and Pete who are unexpectingly superheroes after going to a website called Hero.com. They soon went to stop a criminal named Doc Tempest but since they stopped his plan, he decided to go and takes their mom. Will they be able to save their mom and save the world at the same time?

I picked up this book because it looked interesting.

I finished this book because I c
J.M.
Saw this on MySpace and thought it looked interesting. I liked the premise of downloading superpowers, and the story definitely snagged my attention from the beginning. My only quibble is that I don't know if the opening chapter was really necessary ~ the author starts in the middle of a breathtaking scene, then backtracks to bring the reader up to speed. While the conceit works well enough, I found that I had completely forgotten about the opening scene and was surprised when the story finally ...more
Carla
It's been a while since I read this book, but from what I can remember the author used way too many exclamation marks. I almost didn't finish the book, but I had a book report of sorts to write for my job in the library at school, and I had picked this book. It's got a lot of action, and the premise is really unique, but the amount of exclamation marks was so annoying to me. If I could find the rest of the books in the library, I'd probably attempt to finish the series, but I wouldn't pay money ...more
Suz
I enjoyed the interaction of the characters. The very realistic reaction to finding super powers on the internet was amusing; rather than investigate or try to find instructions, they simply begin downloading powers. The action is fast-paced and makes it a quick read. I think boys and girls would both enjoy it, because the male and female characters are believable - and the girls have just as much intelligence and use their powers just as well as (or more than and better than) the boys.
Arlene
Oct 24, 2008 Arlene marked it as to-read
I have read an excerpt of this book on Lovereading4kids.co.uk and it looks like this book is going to be awesome. I cant wait to sink my teeth into the rest of the chapters. Lovereading4kids.co.uk allows kids to read a one chapter of the book so they get an idea of what they are getting their selfs into. The only problem is you have to order the books from the uk because they do not release them to publish in the US at the same time.
Hayden
Jan 03, 2011 Hayden rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like superhero fantasy
Recommended to Hayden by: My friend :)
This book is like Marmite; you love it, or you hate it. I love it :) But what I don't love is all these bad reviews. Come on people, if you know your not going to like a superhero fantasy book, don't bother reading it! It gives the book a lower rating that it doesn't deserve. This book was really good, but I felt it was a bit rushed in some places though. Well done to the author for his first book!
Beth
This was really good. I loved the characters especially Lorna. It was very easy to read and the action was exciting and fast. I liked that the superheroes weren't perfect and they made mistakes. Doc Tempest was a good "bad guy" and the hint of the backstory with a worse villain is intriguing. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
Cara
This was a very original take on a superhero story, and overall, I liked it. I really like the idea of downloading superpowers on the internet.

However, I got a little annoyed that the author tended to tell and not show, and I also wish that it had been written a little older than what it was, but even so, it's a great little story.
Julia
Waterfall
At first it looked as if this book was going to be pretty gender stereotypical, with geeky boys who get superpowers and non-geeky girls who don't, but thankfully I was wrong. :~) It's a little predictable, but presumably only for the more genre-savvy like myself. If I could give half stars, this would get three and a half.
Norris Norris
Starts off, and you think its going to be truly awful, but it DOES get better. Not anything in the standards of CHERUB, but not a bad read, and really makes you want the website to exist!
Floor Van straten
I read it quite a while back, but I remember giving it major points for thinking of superhero apps (so funny really)

Elliott
A good series.
Cant wait to find out what happens next.
The Styling Librarian
Terrific book, enjoyed, more MS.
Elise Fine
It was aleight but very juvenile.
Jules
A fun easy read :-)
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Ryan Relyt
Ryan Relyt marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
  • The Gathering (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #2)
  • Transformers  Dark of the Moon
  • Dull Boy
  • Going to Ground (The Shapeshifter, #3)
  • Dreadnought (H.I.V.E, #4)
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper (Simon Bloom, #1)
  • Zombie Baseball Beatdown
  • Pay the Piper
  • Rescue Josh Mcguire
  • Assault (Recon Team Angel, #1)
  • Joshua Dread
  • Blood of the Empire (Star Wars: The Old Republic Comic, #1)
  • Them (Remnants, #3)
A British writer who works extensively in Hollywood and more recently in comic books.

Hero.com and Villain.net are his first books launched in June 2008, with their sequels HERO.COM: VIRUS ATTACK and VILLAIN.NET: DARK HUNTER are out now - and more in the series coming next year.

The books are available in UK, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and South Africa.

Next year they will be out in: USA, Czech
More about Andy Briggs...
Council of Evil (Villain.Net, #1) Dark Hunter (Villain.Net, #2) Virus Attack (Hero.Com, #2) Power Surge (Villain.Net, #3) Crisis Point (Hero.Com, #3)

“After all, this was a REAL problem, what could the children possibly hope to achieve on the internet?” 0 likes