Start by marking “Reforming Fundamentalism: Fuller Seminary and the New Evangelicalism” as Want to Read:
Reforming Fundamentalism: Fuller Seminary and the New Evangelicalism

Reforming Fundamentalism: Fuller Seminary and the New Evangelicalism

A sequel and companion to the author's widely aclaimed Fundamentalism and American Culture, this book uses the history of Fuller Theological Seminary as a lens through which to focus an examination of the broader story of evangelicalism and fundamentalism since the 1940s.
Published April 5th 1995 by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Reforming Fundamentalism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reforming Fundamentalism

The History of the Church by EusebiusFox's Book of Martyrs by John FoxeA History of Christianity by Diarmaid MacCullochA History of Christianity in the United States and Canada by Mark A. NollThe First Thousand Years by Robert L. Wilken
History of Christianity
47th out of 142 books — 27 voters
The Popes by John Julius NorwichSpirit Filled Words by Jessica CagerSearching for Jesus by Robert J. HutchinsonFranklin on Faith by Bill FortenberryThe Unexpected Christian Century by Scott W. Sunquist
Best Christian History Books Non Fiction
43rd out of 59 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Scott
Nov 13, 2014 Scott rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. When it comes to American evangelical history, Marsden is king. I was also reminded on this read what a joy it is to read religious history from someone who actually understands theology and the importance that theology plays in historical cause and effect.
JM
Feb 21, 2014 JM rated it really liked it
You can't really rival George Marsden when it comes to understanding the makings of modern conservative Christianity. Thoughtful, engaging, and erudite, this book obviously bears the marks of the great historian.

While history books can have a reputation for being dry, Reforming Fundamentalism is none of that. In fact, it reads like a novel. Marsden shows his skill as a master story teller.

Reforming Fundamentalism is the story of the founding of Evangelicalism, centering around the movement's mai
John
Such a good read—almost like a novel. And such a sad, sad story of the leftward slide of an evangelical institution that has little resemblance left of biblical Christianity. There are lessons on faithfulness and fidelity to learn from if we have eyes to see them.
Neil
Jun 21, 2012 Neil rated it it was amazing
Explains why evangelicalism cannot exist in contact with critical thought or academic excellence.
Joey
Jul 04, 2012 Joey rated it it was amazing
Excellent book covering the history of Fuller Theological Seminary from about the 1940's through the 1970's, focusing primarily on Fuller's role in the broader issues (separatism, inerrancy, scholarship) facing Fundamentalism and later New Evangelicalism. This is one of the first books I've read for a while that I literally couldn't put down. George Marsden is a great writer of history.

Fuller was founded to be an evangelical seminary, theologically Reformed, in the tradition of the old Princeton
Todd Miles
Fantastic book. A must read for any seminarian or student of the history of evangelicalism in the West. Marsden, in a scholarly and balanced fashion, chronicles the founding and first decades of Fuller Seminary. The intra-church struggles, interpersonal struggles, and the vision and pushback of the leaders was absolutely fascinating. The debate over inerrancy, the flirtation with higher criticism, and the desire to be respected by the Academy, all serve as a warning for seminaries that care ...more
Demetrius Rogers
Jul 07, 2013 Demetrius Rogers rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, biography
There are many people and facts to keep track of here. At times the details bog the narrative down a bit. But, overall, this is an enthralling account of the inception of Fuller Seminary and an even more engrossing account of the lives and personalities of its early faculty. I have a new found appreciation for the goals and ideas of the new evangelicalism and the perils they faced to try to accomplish them. Harold Ockenga may be one of my new favorite people of the 20th century. What a time they ...more
James Harmeling
May 25, 2013 James Harmeling rated it it was amazing
Outstanding and very readable modern history of the ongoing struggle to define and practice balanced conservative theology. This book leads the reader to delve into Henry's auto-bio, Nelson's tragic bio of Carnell, and Fuller's bio of his father. It also illumines the background to Lindsell's famous books as well as Henry's and Ladd's.

I think every pastor and Christian ministry leader should thoughtfully work through this book for the purpose of defining their ministry or school. It is a leaders
Carrie
Mar 19, 2009 Carrie added it
This is a book about Fuller's history and ethos. It was drastically more interesting than I anticipated; so much scandal! But in a good way! This is the story of Fuller figuring out who she was and who she would be, spanning from the 1940's-1980's. I resonate not with the exact struggles represented over time, but I resonate with where I think Fuller is now and the nature of the struggles as well as the more forged corners of identity represented. Makes me happy to say I'm a student here.
Mark Ward
Aug 31, 2011 Mark Ward rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Marsden doesn't like my use of this book (he says so in the intro to the second edition), but it can't be helped. He shows the results of 20th century evangelical doctrinal compromise. Sound doctrine is important because it's healthy food for Christian people. When they give away their good nutrition under pressure from the world, bad things happen.
Nathan Anderson
Mar 17, 2015 Nathan Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book by George Marsden that I have read in the last few months and I must say I was not dissapointed. I really appreciate his insights even if I dont always identify with the authors conclusions and would probably have a bit of a different outlook on who the heroes and villains were in this story.
Nathan
Jun 30, 2014 Nathan rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books on Church History I have read. Fascinating story with many lessons for us to learn and warnings to heed.
Zach Waldis
Jan 15, 2015 Zach Waldis rated it it was amazing
I can't recommend this enough. Marsden is as compelling a writer as he is an historian. And he's a good evangelical like me :)
Nate
Nate rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2013
Blake Jones
Blake Jones rated it it was ok
Jul 25, 2011
David
David rated it really liked it
May 15, 2013
Seth Channell
Seth Channell rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2012
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2007
Nate Beam
Nate Beam rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2013
Larry Eskridge
Larry Eskridge rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2013
Ben Plunkett
Ben Plunkett rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Troy Gibson
Troy Gibson rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2009
Gregory
Gregory rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2015
Dustin
Dustin rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2014
Tom
Tom rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2012
David Saxon
David Saxon rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2012
Susan Mullikin
Susan Mullikin rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2015
Jayson
Jayson rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2012
Jason Belk
Jason Belk rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
Jason Rivera
Jason Rivera rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2011