Start by marking “The Clinic (Alex Delaware, #11)” as Want to Read:
The Clinic (Alex Delaware, #11)

The Clinic (Alex Delaware #11)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  5,587 ratings  ·  145 reviews
Former child psychologist Jonathan Kellerman brings us the 11th installment in the reliable series featuring child psychologist Alex Delaware. Here Delaware teams up again with his old friend Detective Milo Sturgis of the LAPD to investigate the brutal murder of Dr. Hope Devane. Her bestselling book about how men victimize women made her famous; did it also lead to her dea ...more
Audio Cassette, Abridged, 0 pages
Published January 29th 2002 by Random House Audio (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Clinic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clinic

Billy Straight by Jonathan KellermanWhen the Bough Breaks by Jonathan KellermanMonster by Jonathan KellermanThe Burnt House by Faye KellermanMoon Music by Faye Kellerman
The Best Of The Kellerman Novels
25th out of 40 books — 19 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonCorporate America by Jack   DoughertyThe Assassins Club by Dixon RiceAn Angel Box by Denny Youngblood
Best Thrillers
252nd out of 331 books — 516 voters

More lists with this book...

Alan
I've read many of the Alex Delaware novels, and have enjoyed them all - some more than others. This was actually a very interesting book in which very little was predictable. Really the only thing I didn't like about it was the ending. I felt I was left hanging wondering how did Alex feel about what he discovered and what was he going to do with that information.
Michael
I'm a great fan of Alex Delaware and his crime fighting partner, Lt. Milo Sturgis of LAPD Homicide. Somehow I missed reading this book when it originally came out. This one was released as an audio book which I usually like for this series because the reader of most of these has been John Rubinstein, who has a real feel for the way I envision these characters. I was a little disappointed that the reader turned out to be someone else in this case but he did a pretty good job nonetheless.
In some c
aPriL eVoLvEs (ex-Groot)
I don't know why, but this reminded me somewhat of Miami Vice. Everyone is a player. Except for one young woman, a rape victim. Everyone else not playing is excusing the player's behavior, twisted as it is, because the players also do some good, as if it made it all balance out. As if. Reading these books in the Delaware series gives the reader real insight, if you have the experience of knowing a lot of people, and if you want to really understand what makes people tick. From my own experience, ...more
Nanosynergy
Cláudia
I always find myself saying the same things about Kellerman's books: I like them, they have interesting and gripping stories, the caracters are believable but it just has too many bla bla bla through the middle. And that makes the reading somewhat slow.
Well, worth reading anyway :)
Lynda
The three-month-old cold case of murdered psychologist professor and writer Hope Devane reunited Detective Milo Sturgis and Dr. Alex Delaware to solve the baffling controversial case. Delving into the recess areas of Hope’s life uncovered a woman with an altered sense of justice and a deceptive outer appearance sent the investigative duo shuffling through several societal classes only to be left with more intriguing and confusing possibilities.

“The Clinic” introduced a variety of characters wit
Ted
I've read a bunch of these "psychological thrillers" by Kellerman. "The Clinic" was not amazing, but it did hold my interest and (as ususal) included various tidbits about abnormal psychology that were interesting. I guess I've grown moderately fond of the lead characters--Alex Delaware, the psychologist who digs into cases for the police and his gay police detective buddy, Milo--so reading another in the series is like visiting old friends.
Tom
One of his better novels.
Andrea
This is turning out to be a great series. I really enjoy the psychological aspects of the plot. Also the plot, motives, characters and twists and turns seem pretty sophisticated. Hmmm...now, which one to read next....
Margie
Apr 06, 2009 Margie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Margie by: Mark Hall
Shelves: mystery, series
Good fluff.
I noted that Kellerman has an almost pathological need to give a physical description of various characters; exactly how tall they are, the length of their sideburns, etc.
Luckngrace
I like both Jonathan and Faye Kellerman books. This one I'll be using for the challenge as the LBGT task (Milo). I didn't like this one as much as his older Dr. AD books.
This is the first book in the Dr. Delaware series that I have read. Jumping into the middle of the series, I did not find that I was confused about the characters or any past histories. That was one thing that I really liked about the novel.

I really love crime stories, and thought that this was an easy and quick read with a good plausible plot. There were times when I was confused as to why something was included, and although confusing at the time, everything makes sense by the end.

If you are
Chris
Memizuki
sandra sprenger
Keeps you wondering how crazy it can get.

l LOVE Delaware novels. this one was hard o get through. then it all came together. shows the dark side we all hide. human beings at our worst. if you've never read a novel by Kellerman this one may be a bit dark. he has way of writing that pulls you in. you are trying to figure out where it's going and then it goes off somewhere else. Wil keep reading Delaware novels as they're out there.
Jeri
Psychologist Alex Delaware is back and again joining his friend, homicide detective Milo Sturgis, in a murder investigation. Milo is assigned a three-month old murder of a well-known psychology professor and bestselling author Hope Devane. Up until now, the police have found no useful clues into the brutal stabbing in a quiet neighborhood.

As Alex digs into the victim's background, he discovers a complex personality and a wealth of possible motives to want her dead. Despite the detailed buildup,
Ed Schmidt
Milo asks Alex to help out on a murder case going cold. The murder of a female psycologist. Investigation leads to a special commitee at a college that the female doctor had conducted that berated men for the way they treated women, setting up several suspects. Digging further uncovered her connection to a so-called fertility doctor.
EsMetaphora
Hope Devane, psicóloga y polémica escritora de bestsellers seudopsicológicos, aparece acuchillada en una tranquila calle de Los Angeles. Todo apunta a que se trata de una ejecución, de una venganza, pero los tres meses de investigaciones policiales aún no han proporcionado ninguna pista. El detective Milo Sturgis, a quien se le han asignado el caso recientemente, recurre a su amigo Alex. A partir de ese momento comienzan a destaparse las facetas secretas de la vida de Hope. Al investigar la infa ...more
Brian Doherty
As usual Kellerman's Sturgis and Delaware provide a decent romp through a murder mystery. I'm quite a fan of Kellerman's writing style too. Not too much fluff, certainly a lot less than Cussler puts in his books. Nicely varied chapter lengths too make it easy to put down but easier to keep reading (I dislike stopping a session mid chapter)

Jaime
I have a real soft spot for this series; it was one of the first suspense series I ever started. I’ve been reading books in this series for almost 20 years, and in nowhere near the intended order. And that’s the nice thing about it — I may not know what house Delaware is living in or what the status of his relationship with Robin is when I start the book, but each stands alone so well that it doesn’t matter. In The Clinic, Kellerman gives us yet another solid mystery, with a touch of questionabl ...more
Clare
I found this one did drag on a bit, but it was still readable. I found it very hard to care about the victim which I think was the probably the idea. Even though I only just finished it I can't remember who the killer was, which says it all to me really.
Fingers crossed for the next one.
Eliana
Apr 05, 2014 Eliana added it
My favorite Dr. Delaware, in a series of psychological crime thrillers! Great co-protagonist in the form of Milo Sturgis. Always a clever psychological component to the varying plot lines.
Carol Macdowell
Not my favourite of the Alex Delaware series, but I liked it a lot. Always love the ones where Robin is in the background. Way in the background. Find her so annoying. This one had less of Milo and he is always good for a laugh. Great character development. Enjoyed the book.
Stephen
I believe I've read most, if not all, of Kellerman's Alex Delaware novels. Perhaps that familiarity is what drives my lukewarm response to The Clinic. I would not have set it down unfinished but neither could I say that found any of the plot machinations, characters or settings so compelling that I would ever pick it up again. In my mind, I think of this as the novel equivalent of Reader's Digest....worthwhile for what it is but not likely to provide anything memorable or worth rereading. If Stu ...more
Ann Aldrich
Very unimaginative plotting. Alex sits down with the murderer, who proceeds to tell him how he executed all four victims. Not the best Jonathan Kellerman.
Elizabeth
Loved this book. Solving a cold case by delving into he life of the victim. Many layers of many people and then intertwined into the final piece of the puzzle.
Jackie
This is my first Kellerman, and actually the first review I've written. I'm not sure I can read another Kellerman. The story line was good and I've got to say, at least I finished it, but it was so poorly written. To many characters were referred to as "he" or "I", even when they were speaking to each other. It was very difficult to keep track of who said what during conversations.

I've heard good things about Kellerman, so I was excited to pick up this book, but it took me longer to read than mo
Karen
I did not enjoy reading this book, which surprises me since I usually enjoy most whodunits. The only reason I finished it was to see how the crime was finally solved.
Betty
Pretty good book. I think this may be the first thriller/mystery novel I've read where the person attempting to solve the crime is a psychologist. (Or at the least, the first one I can recall ever having read.) It made the story more interesting to read, but it didn't make it any easier for me to figure out the murderer's identity before it was revealed in the book.

I'll rate this one at 3 stars... the ending left a wee bit to be desired. It ended just a little too soon for me, leaving a couple o
Mary Sperry
This one was compelling. The way he added layers to the mystery kept me interested.
  • Prayers for the Dead (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #9)
  • Sunstroke
  • Turnstone (DI Joe Faraday, #1)
  • Failure to Appear (J.P. Beaumont, #11)
Jonathan Kellerman was born in New York City in 1949 and grew up in Los Angeles. He helped work his way through UCLA as an editorial cartoonist, columnist, editor and freelance musician. As a senior, at the age of 22, he won a Samuel Goldwyn Writing Award for fiction.

Like his fictional protagonist, Alex Delaware, Jonathan received at Ph.D. in psychology at the age of 24, with a specialty in the t
More about Jonathan Kellerman...
When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1) Deception (Alex Delaware, #25) Victims (Alex Delaware, #27) Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5) Silent Partner (Alex Delaware, #4)