Start by marking “The Clinic (Alex Delaware, #11)” as Want to Read:
The Clinic (Alex Delaware, #11)

The Clinic (Alex Delaware #11)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,600 Ratings  ·  170 Reviews
Former child psychologist Jonathan Kellerman brings us the 11th installment in the reliable series featuring child psychologist Alex Delaware. Here Delaware teams up again with his old friend Detective Milo Sturgis of the LAPD to investigate the brutal murder of Dr. Hope Devane. Her bestselling book about how men victimize women made her famous; did it also lead to her dea ...more
Audio Cassette, Abridged, 0 pages
Published January 29th 2002 by Random House Audio (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Clinic, please sign up.

Kerry Chenise.
Chenise.
"It added up to some kind of genetic misalignment. Maybe nothing with an official name. What used to be called 'syndromy' back in my intern days."(less)
Billy Straight by Jonathan KellermanWhen the Bough Breaks by Jonathan KellermanSacred and Profane by Faye KellermanMonster by Jonathan KellermanThe Burnt House by Faye Kellerman
The Best Of The Kellerman Novels
26th out of 42 books — 19 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonGone Girl by Gillian FlynnCorporate America by Jack   DoughertyThe Assassins Club by Dixon Rice
Best Thrillers
357th out of 434 books — 597 voters

More lists with this book...

Apr 28, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
This is the first book in the Dr. Delaware series that I have read. Jumping into the middle of the series, I did not find that I was confused about the characters or any past histories. That was one thing that I really liked about the novel.

I really love crime stories, and thought that this was an easy and quick read with a good plausible plot. There were times when I was confused as to why something was included, and although confusing at the time, everything makes sense by the end.

If you are
Alan
Sep 10, 2009 Alan rated it liked it
I've read many of the Alex Delaware novels, and have enjoyed them all - some more than others. This was actually a very interesting book in which very little was predictable. Really the only thing I didn't like about it was the ending. I felt I was left hanging wondering how did Alex feel about what he discovered and what was he going to do with that information.
Lynda
Aug 10, 2014 Lynda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
The three-month-old cold case of murdered psychologist professor and writer Hope Devane reunited Detective Milo Sturgis and Dr. Alex Delaware to solve the baffling controversial case. Delving into the recess areas of Hope’s life uncovered a woman with an altered sense of justice and a deceptive outer appearance sent the investigative duo shuffling through several societal classes only to be left with more intriguing and confusing possibilities.

“The Clinic” introduced a variety of characters wit
Michael
Sep 09, 2011 Michael rated it liked it
I'm a great fan of Alex Delaware and his crime fighting partner, Lt. Milo Sturgis of LAPD Homicide. Somehow I missed reading this book when it originally came out. This one was released as an audio book which I usually like for this series because the reader of most of these has been John Rubinstein, who has a real feel for the way I envision these characters. I was a little disappointed that the reader turned out to be someone else in this case but he did a pretty good job nonetheless.
In some c
aPriL does feral sometimes
I don't know why, but this reminded me somewhat of Miami Vice. Everyone is a player. Except for one young woman, a rape victim. Everyone else not playing is excusing the player's behavior, twisted as it is, because the players also do some good, as if it made it all balance out. As if. Reading these books in the Delaware series gives the reader real insight, if you have the experience of knowing a lot of people, and if you want to really understand what makes people tick. From my own experience, ...more
Nanosynergy
Oct 23, 2008 Nanosynergy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kellerman fans.
Judy
Mar 28, 2015 Judy rated it really liked it
Still catching up reading the Kellerman books I missed when they came out. As always, a good plot. I enjoy both Alex Delaware and Milo Sturgis. Didn't see much of Robin in this installment.
Coleen
Jul 24, 2015 Coleen rated it liked it
I like Kellerman as an author, and I like the Alex Delaware series. This story is interesting and a good read, with several plots running so that it does not get boring.
While it was somewhat plausible, the mix of themes had me wondering.

I bought this book new at a book sale, and plan to pass it on.
Cláudia
I always find myself saying the same things about Kellerman's books: I like them, they have interesting and gripping stories, the caracters are believable but it just has too many bla bla bla through the middle. And that makes the reading somewhat slow.
Well, worth reading anyway :)
Ted
Sep 07, 2007 Ted rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a bunch of these "psychological thrillers" by Kellerman. "The Clinic" was not amazing, but it did hold my interest and (as ususal) included various tidbits about abnormal psychology that were interesting. I guess I've grown moderately fond of the lead characters--Alex Delaware, the psychologist who digs into cases for the police and his gay police detective buddy, Milo--so reading another in the series is like visiting old friends.
Tom
Aug 01, 2014 Tom rated it really liked it
One of his better novels.
Emily
Apr 01, 2015 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really not sure why, but this was not one of my favorite Kellermans. I love a good psychological suspense story, but this one was just so outlandish, with organ harvesting, kinky sex, rape, a few too many characters, and an abrupt ending for me to give it more than three stars. Perhaps I'm just getting burned out on murder mysteries!
John
Apr 20, 2015 John rated it liked it
Sometimes mysteries have a problem. Jonathan Kellerman’s book about a college professor who is murdered falls into that trap. Kellerman builds up suspense through a twisty plot. Psychologist Alex Delaware and Detective Milo Sturgis investigate the professor and her shadowy student conduct committee. Although the work of the committee leaves the professor with many enemies, the investigation also produces leads that relate to the professor’s relationship with her husband, her childhood, and her p ...more
Andrea
Dec 01, 2008 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is turning out to be a great series. I really enjoy the psychological aspects of the plot. Also the plot, motives, characters and twists and turns seem pretty sophisticated. Hmmm...now, which one to read next....
Margie
Apr 06, 2009 Margie rated it liked it
Recommended to Margie by: Mark Hall
Shelves: mystery, series
Good fluff.
I noted that Kellerman has an almost pathological need to give a physical description of various characters; exactly how tall they are, the length of their sideburns, etc.
Luckngrace
I like both Jonathan and Faye Kellerman books. This one I'll be using for the challenge as the LBGT task (Milo). I didn't like this one as much as his older Dr. AD books.
Gretchen
Aug 22, 2015 Gretchen rated it it was amazing
In The Clinic, Dr. Alex Delaware and Detective Milo Sturgis work together to solve another crime in the LA basin. Jonathan Kellerman creates believable, likeable characters that I want to know better. How they interact to solve the murder of Dr. Hope Devane is a work of art. Jonathon Kellerman paints the various characters/suspects with a broad brush before filling in their foibles. Interesting, as always.
The Clinic was given to me by a fellow goodreads reader and I'm ready to pass it on. Hopef
Chris
Oct 06, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Memizuki
Feb 10, 2014 Memizuki rated it liked it
sandra sprenger
May 06, 2014 sandra sprenger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Keeps you wondering how crazy it can get.

l LOVE Delaware novels. this one was hard o get through. then it all came together. shows the dark side we all hide. human beings at our worst. if you've never read a novel by Kellerman this one may be a bit dark. he has way of writing that pulls you in. you are trying to figure out where it's going and then it goes off somewhere else. Wil keep reading Delaware novels as they're out there.
Kelli Brannen
Jul 20, 2015 Kelli Brannen rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome - I really enjoyed following Alex Delaware and his search to unravel the mystery of what happened to Professor Hope Devane. I loved that there were so many people introduced to us throughout the book who knew her and knew her in a different way, which keeps you guessing as the puzzle pieces start to fit together. I highly recommend this to fellow mystery lovers.
Jeri
Dec 13, 2010 Jeri rated it really liked it
Psychologist Alex Delaware is back and again joining his friend, homicide detective Milo Sturgis, in a murder investigation. Milo is assigned a three-month old murder of a well-known psychology professor and bestselling author Hope Devane. Up until now, the police have found no useful clues into the brutal stabbing in a quiet neighborhood.

As Alex digs into the victim's background, he discovers a complex personality and a wealth of possible motives to want her dead. Despite the detailed buildup,
Ed Schmidt
Sep 20, 2014 Ed Schmidt rated it it was amazing
Milo asks Alex to help out on a murder case going cold. The murder of a female psycologist. Investigation leads to a special commitee at a college that the female doctor had conducted that berated men for the way they treated women, setting up several suspects. Digging further uncovered her connection to a so-called fertility doctor.
Alisha
Sep 05, 2015 Alisha rated it liked it
Shelves: comfort-food
Esme M
Oct 29, 2010 Esme M rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hope Devane, psicóloga y polémica escritora de bestsellers seudopsicológicos, aparece acuchillada en una tranquila calle de Los Angeles. Todo apunta a que se trata de una ejecución, de una venganza, pero los tres meses de investigaciones policiales aún no han proporcionado ninguna pista. El detective Milo Sturgis, a quien se le han asignado el caso recientemente, recurre a su amigo Alex. A partir de ese momento comienzan a destaparse las facetas secretas de la vida de Hope. Al investigar la infa ...more
Ada Iaboni
Nov 27, 2015 Ada Iaboni rated it liked it
A good story with several complications that keeps you reading. It was not the best but a good one all the same.
I just could not care much about the characters in this one, so I guess I'm scoring it a little lower.
Worth e=reading, especially if you're a fan.
Brian Doherty
Mar 11, 2014 Brian Doherty rated it really liked it
As usual Kellerman's Sturgis and Delaware provide a decent romp through a murder mystery. I'm quite a fan of Kellerman's writing style too. Not too much fluff, certainly a lot less than Cussler puts in his books. Nicely varied chapter lengths too make it easy to put down but easier to keep reading (I dislike stopping a session mid chapter)

Jaime
Oct 10, 2010 Jaime rated it really liked it
I have a real soft spot for this series; it was one of the first suspense series I ever started. I’ve been reading books in this series for almost 20 years, and in nowhere near the intended order. And that’s the nice thing about it — I may not know what house Delaware is living in or what the status of his relationship with Robin is when I start the book, but each stands alone so well that it doesn’t matter. In The Clinic, Kellerman gives us yet another solid mystery, with a touch of questionabl ...more
Susan
Aug 02, 2015 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm in the middle with this one.

Feel a little dissatisfied with the ending. So many loose ends... I think Kellerman's got a little carried away with too many storylines. And far-fetched one's at that.
Clare
Aug 28, 2014 Clare rated it really liked it
I found this one did drag on a bit, but it was still readable. I found it very hard to care about the victim which I think was the probably the idea. Even though I only just finished it I can't remember who the killer was, which says it all to me really.
Fingers crossed for the next one.
  • Moon Music
  • Sunstroke
  • Turnstone (DI Joe Faraday, #1)
  • Perfectly Pure and Good (Sarah Fortune, #2)
Jonathan Kellerman was born in New York City in 1949 and grew up in Los Angeles. He helped work his way through UCLA as an editorial cartoonist, columnist, editor and freelance musician. As a senior, at the age of 22, he won a Samuel Goldwyn Writing Award for fiction.

Like his fictional protagonist, Alex Delaware, Jonathan received at Ph.D. in psychology at the age of 24, with a specialty in the t
More about Jonathan Kellerman...

Alex Delaware (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1)
  • Blood Test (Alex Delaware, #2)
  • Over the Edge (Alex Delaware, #3)
  • Silent Partner (Alex Delaware, #4)
  • Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5)
  • Private Eyes (Alex Delaware, #6)
  • Devil's Waltz (Alex Delaware, #7)
  • Bad Love (Alex Delaware, #8)
  • Self-Defense (Alex Delaware, #9)
  • The Web (Alex Delaware, #10)