Start by marking “Murder at McDonald's: The Killers Next Door” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Murder at McDonald's: ...

Phonse Jessome

Murder at McDonald's: The Killers Next Door

The chilling true crime account of the botched robbery that would become the most sensational murder case in Canadian history: the Sydney River McDonald’s massacre.

It started with a broken conveyor belt. When the mechanical malfunction brought eighteen-year-old McDonald’s employee Derek Wood into the restaurant’s back room, he saw the safe and got a dangerous idea. It wou
Published 2008

To ask other readers questions about Murder at McDonald's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder at McDonald's

Killian
Jul 16, 2016 Killian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Every now and then I get in the mood for some good ol' true crime. Since we don't have cable, I can't just turn on TruTV anymore, but I saw this book on Netgalley and figured I'd see if it could satisfy that craving. This is a book about the murder and assault of four nighttime workers at a McDonald's in a small industrial town. All over a few thousand dollars that the robbers got out of the safe, when they mistakenly thought there were going to steal hundreds of thousands.

First of all, I didn'
Jessica Timmons
Jan 17, 2015 Jessica Timmons rated it it was amazing
This book is a perfect example of boys gone bad. What the actions of 3 young men can completely crush a small city and it's inhabitants. Leaving families torn apart, a child without his father and a beautiful young women to grow old, disabled. It leaves the reader completely baffled by our justice system which is not for the victims but for the criminals themselves, leaving us all shaking our heads and wondering "why?". The final paragraph of the novel will surely hit home with everyone and leav ...more
Colleen Maclennan
Jun 29, 2016 Colleen Maclennan rated it really liked it
Such a sad book. A whole community suffered from this senseless tragedy. The blame for this is these three young men, not unemployment, not a struggling economy, not their upbringing . They knew right from wrong. I was sadden by their seemingly lack of remorse for what they had done and how they were able to function so normally after their murderous spree. As happens so often the victims and their families are not protected by the judicial system. The perpetrators of vicious crimes get more pro ...more
Vanessa
Jul 14, 2016 Vanessa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Turgid writing mars what could have been a compelling exploration of the shockwaves created by a crime in small-town Canada. The author fairly clobbers you with "it was the last time she saw him" and "little did the know, they would never get the chance to say goodbye" - either the author doesn't trust the reader (I mean show don't tell, Jaysus!) or thinks we are all sociopaths that can't understand human emotion without a roadmap. Just read In Cold Blood.

I received an ecopy from the publishers
Sheila
Aug 25, 2008 Sheila rated it really liked it
Horrifying story about three young men, one a recent teachers college student, who murdered three and permanently disabled one of the guy's co-workers at a McDonald's restaurant in Sydney River, Cape Breton...for a total take of about $40.

The book's well written but leaves you with the unfathomable question: how could three somewhat aimless but apparently innocuous young men have committed such a horrific crime?
Kathryn
Jul 06, 2016 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What was great about this true crime book is that the author took the time to introduce the reader to the victims and show them as real people instead of as just a name from a crime. I loved the fact that the author uses pictures in the book it really helped paint the portrait of the places the crime took place. It was so well written and a fascinating case in my opinion, I'm glad I was able to read this. I would recommend it to anyone that's a fan of true crime.
Shelley
Jan 18, 2013 Shelley rated it it was amazing
I have read a ton of true crime books over the years. Such a horrific crime that I remember when it happened. I have owned this book for years and only read it now which was interesting considering I recently vacationed in Cape Breton and Halifax. Being familiar with the area made the story even more interesting to me. Often writers of true crime mostly report the "news" or "facts" but reveal little if anything of their own emotions to the case. It was nice to see this author's compassion.
Rhonda Lomazow
Jun 28, 2016 Rhonda Lomazow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A horrific crime a muder scene three people dead.A town torn apart.a book that will shock as you read it.
Leigh Podgorski
Leigh Podgorski rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2016
Dorothy B. Howard
Dorothy B. Howard rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2016
carol segneri
carol segneri rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2016
Oloroso36
Oloroso36 rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2014
Bob DeWeese
Bob DeWeese rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2016
Sharon Tozzie
Sharon Tozzie rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2016
Irene
Irene rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2016
Kristen
Kristen rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2017
Jane Thompson
Jane Thompson rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Hilary
Hilary rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2017
David Thielman
David Thielman rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2016
Rachel Winters
Rachel Winters rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2017
Yvette Campbell
Yvette Campbell rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2015
Annice
Annice rated it it was ok
Jul 04, 2016
Debra L. Miles
Debra L. Miles rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2017
June Bourque
June Bourque rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2016
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Lee Weber
Lee Weber rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2016
Mzfitted
Mzfitted rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2016
Danielle Neaves
Danielle Neaves rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2015