Start by marking “Under God” as Want to Read:
Under God

Under God

In Under God, Garry Wills, one of our liveliest and most eminent political observers, moves through the tapestry of American history, illuminating the instances where American politics and American religion have collided.

Beginning with the 1988 presidential contest, an election that included two ministers and a senator accused of sin, Wills surveys our history to show the
Published November 15th 1991 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Under God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under God

Erik Graff
Dec 11, 2014 Erik Graff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Americans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Garry Wills is a safe bet when he writes about U.S. history, religion or classical antiquity--all of which he is expert in addressing. Thie book, amounting to a series of essays about the role of religion in the USA from colonial times through 1990, is an example of the creative fusion this polymath achieves when discussing two of his areas of expertise (not to mention occasional references to biblical Greek and the patristics).

Although Catholic, Wills is ecumenical in his approach and recognize
Duncan
Nov 16, 2016 Duncan rated it liked it
More a collection of essays on topics related to religion and American politics than a cohesive argument. Some of the essays are pretty good, others--the ones about Gary Hart and Michael Dukakis in particular--are skippable. The best of them are probably the ones about Jefferson and Madison, and the sections about Jesse Jackson and William Jennings Bryan are very good as well.
Martin Bihl
In the interest of full disclosure, i have to admit that i'm a big fan of Garry Wills. i may not always agree with him, and i may not always understand the finest points of his arguments, but i always respect his rigor, his curiousity, his search for truth, and his his integrity.

Even though this is, ostensibly, a single work on god, politics, morality and america, it really reads like thirty-odd essays on these topics, linked together by theme or argument. as such, they can be read sequentially
Bob Breckwoldt
Oct 21, 2012 Bob Breckwoldt rated it really liked it
One nation under God? Religion has never been far from the surface of American life and politics. This book was written about the personalities and the issues of the 1988 U.S. election. Many of the personalities are no longer part of the election process. In this it is a valuable history resource. But in many ways it hasn't dated. The recognition of the influence of such figures as the pseudo intellectual guru, Francis Schaeffer; the agonising of religious politicians as they wonder how far can ...more
Jacquelyn Courtrell-Washington
I am reading this because it is apropos to these dubious political times in which we find ourselves. So far it has been an good read for historical background for what we are being put through on the battlefield of religious politics. Sometimes it is like reading a book for seminary but, more interesting.
Carolyn
Aug 27, 2016 Carolyn marked it as did-not-finish
I really (REALLY) love the tone this book is written in--the perfect balance between conversational and academic.

But it's a big heavy hardback that I'm not going to carry on the bus and my class for this semester has already started, let alone teachers reporting tomorrow for work, and I just can't finish it right now.

I'll pick it up again someday though, for sure.
Barbara
Sep 24, 2008 Barbara rated it really liked it
I didn't know anything about Garry Wills when I read this. This book argues that despite the fact that we are the country with specific laws separating church and state, we are also the country with the most problems keeping them separated.
Dennis Jackson
Dennis Jackson rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2015
Andydman67
Andydman67 rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2007
Shawn
Shawn rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2012
Eric Gilliland
Eric Gilliland rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2014
Ron Ribaudo
Ron Ribaudo rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2013
K
K rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2011
Brenna  McCaffrey
Brenna McCaffrey rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2012
Christy
Christy rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2008
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2011
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Gordon Schultz
Gordon Schultz rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2015
Steve Kierstead
Dec 30, 2010 Steve Kierstead rated it really liked it
Typically insightful.
Will Armon
Will Armon rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2013
Owen Morgan
Owen Morgan rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2015
Tracy Stewart
Tracy Stewart rated it it was ok
Mar 23, 2012
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2011
Brian Holly
Brian Holly rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2013
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2015
Shiphrah
Shiphrah rated it it was ok
Jul 16, 2015
Steve Greenleaf
Steve Greenleaf rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2011
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2011
Donna
Donna rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Divided by God: America's Church-State Problem--And What We Should Do about It
  • The Paranoid Style in American Politics and Other Essays
  • Dostoevsky: The Mantle of the Prophet, 1871-1881
  • John Stuart Mill: Victorian Firebrand
  • Great American Hypocrites: Toppling the Big Myths of Republican Politics
  • The Politics of Upheaval 1935-36 (The Age of Roosevelt, Vol 3)
  • James Madison: Writings
  • The Culture of Disbelief
  • Art: A New History
  • Al Qaeda and What It Means to Be Modern
  • Blood and Belonging: Journeys into the New Nationalism
  • Left Back: A Century of Failed School Reforms
  • Megatrends 2000
  • The Debate on the Constitution : Federalist and Antifederalist Speeches, Articles and Letters During the Struggle over Ratification, Part Two: January to August 1788 (Library of America)
  • Roger Williams and the Creation of the American Soul: Church, State, and the Birth of Liberty
  • Blessed: A History of the American Prosperity Gospel
  • Why Globalization Works
  • The Reformation
Garry Wills is an author and historian, and a frequent contributor to the New York Review of Books. In 1993, he won a Pulitzer Prize for General Non-Fiction for his book Lincoln at Gettysburg: The Words That Remade America, which describes the background and effect of Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address on November 19, 1863.

More about Garry Wills...