Start by marking “The Wrong People” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Wrong People

Robin Maugham

The Wrong People

A prissy male UK schoolteacher discovers lust in post-war Morocco when same sex was still unlawful at home. Written by Maugham's nephew, Robin, it's a revealing & compulsively readable account of fleshly disturbances.
Published (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Wrong People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wrong People

Sketchbook
May 08, 2015 Sketchbook rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A UK school teacher in the 60s is smitten by a Moroccan youth, and the story becomes a Tangier thriller. Despite public sex performances, can a kid make a getaway to the fish n' chips griddle of smelly ol England? God is Love. Eh? Poor thing. Why do the wrong people travel? Sal Mineo wanted to do a film version. Unk Willie praised the local color, but stormed: don't publish this dirty book. Watch out, Unkie...you rich old fuck.
David Corvine
It is obvious that Robin Maugham is not Dostoyevsky ... he's not even W. S. Maugham but I've read and reread this book because I think it portrays the time and place accurately. I've spent some time leaning against various bars ...Tanger Inn and the Hole in the wall, in Brighton etc. talking to people who were there at the time and they seem to concur with this belief.
Tony Raymond
Jan 04, 2011 Tony Raymond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well written novel set in one of my Favorite Places.....Tangier! The plot kept me interested
from first to last. The characters are unforgettable....even the not so nice ones! This is a book
I will probably re-read sometime in the Future.
Frank Farrell
Sep 22, 2016 Frank Farrell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book when I was about 15, after reading The Servant. At the time the thing that struck me was the seedy atmosphere of Tangiers. It didn't strike me as an attractive seediness, either. I came back to it again out of curiosity. Now it is published as gay fiction, at the time Maugham even used a non de plume because he was advised that writing so openly about homosexuality would damage his reputation. I think it has stood the test of time. I found the story engaging and the charac ...more
Ali Miremadi
Starts off darkly charming but by the end is simply dark. The nephew Maugham is an inadequate heir to his uncle.
Macartney
Macartney marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Daniel Heilborn
Daniel Heilborn marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Julien
Julien marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Shanti
Shanti marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Anca  Ciochina
Anca Ciochina marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Federico
Federico is currently reading it
May 16, 2016
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Widad
Widad marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Stephen
Stephen rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Katherine Nunez
Katherine Nunez marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Bittersweet Melancholy
Bittersweet Melancholy marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Naomi Ramsden
Naomi Ramsden marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Kim Berntson
Kim Berntson marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Kaitlan Culver
Kaitlan Culver marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Tim (Urges)
Tim (Urges) marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Emma Stocker
Emma Stocker marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2015
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
David Allen White
David Allen White rated it really liked it
May 18, 2015
Pablo
Pablo marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Jur
Jur marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015