Start by marking “Extravagaria” as Want to Read:
Extravagaria

Extravagaria

4.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  448 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Extravagaria marks an important stage in Neruda's progress as a poet. The book was written just after he had returned to Chile after many wanderings and moved to his beloved Isla Negra on the Pacific coast. These sixty-eight poems thus denote a resting point, a rediscovery of sea and land, and an "autumnal period" (as the poet himself called it). In this book, Neruda devel ...more
Published January 15th 2001 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Extravagaria, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extravagaria

M. Özgür
Jun 13, 2015 M. Özgür rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kitapta toplanan şiirlerin her biri birbirinden güzel; yalnız okurken, Sessizliği Arıyorum, Sessiz Olmak, Alacakaranlıkta Kendi Kendine Konuşma, Ayağın Masalı, Firar, Güzde Unutulmuş, Gırtlak, Dönüyor Arkadaş, Kışın Oldu ve Hayvanlar Kitabı adlı bölümlerde yer alan mısralar çok etkileyici idi.
Herkese iyi okumalar.
Szplug
Feb 23, 2011 Szplug rated it it was amazing
Pablo Neruda has been blessed with English translators who possess the ability to harness a powerful measure of the latinate genius that guided Neruda's bountiful pen, such that their own interpretations prove aureate in and of themselves. Alastair Reid is one of these gifted bestowers of Anglo access to Spanish verse; what's more, ever since I read Walter Benjamin's sentiments on translation I have endeavored to view all such efforts through the prism that he suggested. This has altered my appr ...more
Huda AbuKhoti
Feb 17, 2015 Huda AbuKhoti rated it it was amazing
Incomparably my favorite among the other collections I've read for him! Definitely different and worth the read, glad I read other sides of his poetry than what he's most famous for.
Emm Roy
Oct 14, 2014 Emm Roy rated it it was amazing
I'm no expert on Pablo Neruda. All I can say is that of all his work that I have read, this collection is my favorite.
Bruce
Apr 30, 2009 Bruce rated it it was amazing
I have been reluctant to complete Extravagaria, Pablo Neruda’s book of poems published in 1958, because I was enjoying the poetry so much that I wished it would never end. In the past I’ve read much of Antonio Machado and Octavio Paz, but somehow I’d read only a few of Neruda’s poems (although his poem beginning, “I could write the saddest lines tonight…” moves me almost to tears each time I reread it over the years); recently I watched the film, “Il Postino,” which features Neruda, and was led ...more
Robert
Mar 20, 2008 Robert rated it really liked it
my first experience with neruda was his surreal and devastating RESIDENCE ON EARTH. i haven't reread it for awhile but my general sense of its poems are beautiful spirals into nothingness, reflections on dark glass...

with EXTRAVAGARIA (written in his later period), i was at first a little suspicious of the book's gentle, resilient tone; but, by the end, the seduction was complete. of course Neruda still deals with his great themes--death ("you must bathe in your own grave"), time ("the moment, f
Ali Sait Tanrıverdi
Jul 18, 2015 Ali Sait Tanrıverdi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"neden birini tanıyamıyorum
neden biri beni tanımıyor,
sanki herkes ölmüş de burada
bir ben yaşıyormuşum bunca unutuş arasında
hala canlı kalmış bir kuş,
ya da, tersiymiş de, şehir gözlüyormuş beni
anlayıp tek ölünün ben olduğunu."
Mona
Jan 25, 2016 Mona rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mona by: Robin Coste Lewis
Thoughts to come...

------

Robin Coste Lewis read a poem from this book in her acceptance speech for the National Book Award for Poetry in 2015 (the video is here, fast-forward to 8:24 to hear the reading).
Rolando Duran
Oct 18, 2011 Rolando Duran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Entre morir y no morir
me decidí por la guitarra..."

Así inicia el poema final de Estravagario. Un poema de otoño que no resume, sino que representa el variado transcurso de este poemario fundamental de Pablo Neruda.

En Estravagario se reúne el amor más profundo y cotidiano, la visión política del luchador incansable, quién desde ya decía "dejé mis bienes terrenales a mi Partido y a mi Pueblo...", y la extravagante bitácora del navegante. Retazos de pueblos, ciudades y puertos, todas se mezclan en
Grace
Jul 11, 2011 Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poetry lovers
From life on the streets to visiting the seaside, this was one of those poetry books that had it all for me. Honestly, I never expected myself to like this book so much. Maybe it's just me, but I tend to avoid books of poetry that have been translated. I also feel like something must've gotten lost in the translation, but I can't see how in this one.

So even translated from Spanish into English, Neruda's poetry didn't loose any of it's allure and glamour. It was gritty, but sparkled. An unpolishe
Eryn
Dec 08, 2010 Eryn rated it liked it

my friend Tara gave me this after i devoured my other Neruda book, 'The Captain's Verses.' i first read Neruda's work in junior year of high school, and haven't looked back.
look, even if you don't usually love poetry, READ HIS POEMS. they are so raw and visceral and breath-takingly beautiful, i cannot actively describe the way they make me feel. (so much so that i got two of his lines permanently etched into my skin? yes? maybe?)

i'm only giving *THIS SPECIFIC BOOK* 3 stars because i don't alway
Ioannis Savvas
Το Εστραβαγάριο είναι συλλογή ποιημάτων "δύσπεπτων για ανθρώπους λιγότερο θρεμμένους με αισθητικές και πνευματικότητες πολύ διυλισμένες", όπως γράφει η μεταφράστρια. Ίσως κι εγώ να είμαι από αυτούς τους ανθρώπους, τους απαίδευτους. Όμως, η ποίηση είναι μόνο για τους παιδεμένους; Μόνο για τους θρεμμένους με την πνευματικότητα του "ειδικού"; Η ποίηση -και μάλιστα η μεγάλη ποίηση- είναι λοιπόν για λίγους; Για τους μυημένους;

Το Εστραβαγάριο είναι ποιήματα που αντλούν έμπνευση από την καθημερινότητα
Michael Holland
Apr 30, 2013 Michael Holland rated it it was amazing
Probably my favorite poet, this book was written in his fifties, so it shed light on to his past and future with great wisdom, dealing with life and death issues, political agendas, the significance, if there is any, of our existence, how we waste time in our self-importance, how in the end, we are just human, flawed, and a dot on the sphere's map. All of this is written with great emotion, great use of poetic elements (metaphor and repetition especially). I love everything about this man, and I ...more
Jan 08, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I bought this book for "Keeping Quiet", and ended up loving all the other poems too.
David
Nov 25, 2015 David rated it really liked it
This book of poetry is one I will come back to again and again.
Greta
Mar 31, 2015 Greta rated it really liked it
You don't want to answer me.

But the questions do not die.

graycloud rios
Feb 08, 2015 graycloud rios rated it it was amazing
my favorite neruda book of all time
metaphor
Apr 01, 2015 metaphor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, pablo-neruda
Sometime when we've stopped being,
stopped coming and going,
under seven blankets of dust
and the dry feet of death,
we'll be close again, love,
curious and puzzled.
Our different feathers,
our bumbling eyes,
our feet which didn't meet
and our printed kisses,
all will be back together,
but what good will it do us,
the closeness of a grave?
Let life not separate us;
and who cares about death?
Mustafa Aiglon
"Şimdi rahat bırakabilirler.
Artık alışabilirler bensizliğe"

dizeleriyle başlayıp "O zaman türkü söyleyeceğim sessizlikte" diye biten bir şiir kitabı. Fazla söze gerek yok: yüreklendirici şiirler hepsi. Mathilde Urrutia diyor ve uzaklaşıyorum.
Suzanne Kittrell
Feb 04, 2010 Suzanne Kittrell rated it it was amazing
The Best Book of poetry ever. I have carried this book with me for decades and have had to replace it twice. I picked up again to read and reflect on this past Fall. This book never fails to please me.
MARTI

Neruda'nin huzun, ask, hayal dolu, kimi yerlerde duzyaziyi andiran ve bazen mizah kokan dizelerinden olusuyor Kuruntular Kitabi. Neruda'nin ic dunyasinda gezinmek isteyenler icin birebir.
Eli
I will be reading this for years... both because it is amazing, inspiring and visceral, and because it is Hella Long. Thank you, Pablo Neruda!
Ana Trepeta
May 03, 2013 Ana Trepeta rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book of poetry ever. Beauty, love, lust, longing, sensual wordplay, raw emotion-- it's all there. Simply beautiful.
Manoja K.
Nov 06, 2011 Manoja K. rated it really liked it
I found his version of acknowledgements very creative - really came from his heart and experiences.
Narinda
Dec 08, 2010 Narinda rated it it was amazing
Found it for $1 in Dolores Park at exactly the right time. Beautiful translation.
Marjorie Jensen
Aug 07, 2013 Marjorie Jensen rated it it was amazing
This book includes some of my favorite Neruda poems as well as few I hadn't read before.
Eric
Apr 29, 2007 Eric rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
My favorite Neruda collection.
Jeanne
Mar 15, 2009 Jeanne rated it it was amazing
Excellent Excellent!
Cherie
Dec 16, 2007 Cherie rated it really liked it
A- Good bilingual poems
Louis
Nov 15, 2010 Louis rated it it was amazing
Probably my favorite collection of Neruda's verse.
  • The Black Heralds
  • Alabanza: New and Selected Poems 1982-2002
  • Collected Poems, 1948-1984
  • Adonis: Selected Poems
  • Save Twilight: Selected Poems
Pablo Neruda was the pen name and, later, legal name of the Chilean writer and politician Neftalí Ricardo Reyes Basoalto. Neruda assumed his pen name as a teenager, partly because it was in vogue, partly to hide his poetry from his father, a rigid man who wanted his son to have a "practical" occupation. Neruda's pen name was derived from Czech writer and poet Jan Neruda; Pablo is thought to be fro ...more
More about Pablo Neruda...

“He vivido tanto que un día
tendrán que olvidarme por fuerza.”
1 likes