Start by marking “Pablo Neruda: Absence and Presence” as Want to Read:
Pablo Neruda: Absence and Presence

Pablo Neruda: Absence and Presence

4.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  384 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
In this beautiful printing of Poirot’s classic work—featuring new scans from newly made prints—we come to know the poet’s magical world through his poems, his houses, the wonderful things he collected, and his friends.
Published July 17th 2004 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about Pablo Neruda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pablo Neruda

Carolina Morales
Jun 26, 2013 Carolina Morales rated it really liked it
The first GOOD translation into English I see for Pablo Neruda. I have been in two of his houses in Chile (both of them museums nowadays) and felt very impressed, as the air was heavy and dated. I strongly recommend it to all sensitive souls!
Ashley
Jul 31, 2011 Ashley rated it it was amazing
I am a huge poetry fan, and Pablo Neruda is one of my favorites. His verses are creative and thought provoking. His love poetry makes me smile and cry.... all at once.
Dale Pobega
Jul 26, 2015 Dale Pobega rated it liked it
I speak and read Spanish quite well but have to admit to not having really got into Pablo Neruda's poetry which is often given to language learners because of it is relative simplicity in terms of structure and vocabulary. I liked the focus of this book which takes Neruda's familiar environments (eg. his home on Isla Negra) and links photos and simple anecdotes to poetry excerpts. I loved the sonnet "If I die survive me with such sheer force..", such a life affirming work

If I die, survive me wit
Jo
Jun 29, 2007 Jo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetryread
I love the pictures. They provide a precious glimpse of a genuine life. Would be a five, except I wish that it included longer poems -- not just portions.
Renee
Feb 21, 2016 Renee rated it it was amazing
wonderful combination of Neruda's words and images of his homes. Loved the section of reminiscing by his friends
Ian
Dec 14, 2014 Ian rated it really liked it
My first real reading of Pablo Neruda and I am impressed, liked the poems,liked the memories from the other interviewees, adding more Neruda to my read list
Leslie-ann
Oct 13, 2009 Leslie-ann rated it really liked it
This book is such a beautiful introduction to a great poet and the impact of his writing and life.

I wish it included more of his poetry though! I love the letters written by all of his friends and the pictures provide an intimate glimpse into an incredibly life.
Michael
Apr 19, 2008 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
It was a real easy read and great introduction to the lifestyle of the poet. I wasn't aware of him but now I want to read so much more of him. Lots of photographs of his home and testimonies from his friends with his poetry all mixed in.
Reem
May 30, 2010 Reem rated it it was amazing
This is a must for all Neruda enthusiasts. It offers insight into his world; photos of his homes couples with his own quotes and explanations from friends and his wife. This book is a treasure!
Christine
Sep 18, 2008 Christine rated it it was amazing
This is probably my favorite and most treasured book of Pablo Neruda. This is the book that introduced me to this amazing poet. Found on the book shelf at Half Price Books many, many years ago.
Dr.dipika Vasava
Aug 18, 2012 Dr.dipika Vasava rated it it was amazing
as i loved his quite erotically charged love poems...he inspires to write,,
i can see the colour of hope ,,as he wrote in green :)
Deb
Mar 11, 2011 Deb rated it it was amazing
This book includes not only some of my favorite poems by Neruda but also comments by, and photos of him with,some of his Chilean friends.
S'hi
Jul 09, 2009 S'hi rated it liked it
eerie, like mists across the ocean then suddenly brilliant and solid forms appear, as if they were always just so…
h
a lovely collection of photographs, poetry in both english and spanish, and remembrances. a celebration of neruda.
Katie
Nov 01, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This is some of my favorite poetry. Neruda was a gifted poet, and I can't wait to read more of his work!
Matthew H
Aug 13, 2007 Matthew H rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone and Anyone
Shelves: poetry
A book full of stirring pictures, warm stories and beautiful poetry by and about the poet Pablo Neruda.
Beth
Dec 31, 2007 Beth rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: photographers and poets
This, for me, is the perfect book. The melding of fragments and photographs, the sepia mood.
Joe Osejo
Sep 16, 2009 Joe Osejo rated it it was amazing
These pictures along with Poetry about his Residence are timeless!
Donnelle
Jul 25, 2007 Donnelle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all poets . . .
beautiful . . . enough said.
Jessica
May 29, 2010 Jessica rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for anything Neruda. That said, this is a great portrait and tribute to a man known as the people's poet. It interweaves his poetry with stories by those who knew him or met him even briefly and with photographs of the man, his favorite things, his houses and the storytellers. It is beautiful aesthetically as well as emotionally.
Shashank Singh
Shashank Singh rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Dev Mittal
Dev Mittal marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Elif
Elif marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Dikush
Dikush marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Dhruti Shah
Dhruti Shah rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
Aniagmxit
Aniagmxit marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Constance Levitsky
Constance Levitsky marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Ariana Arias
Ariana Arias marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016