Start by marking “The God of Spring” as Want to Read:
The God of Spring

The God of Spring

"Leave the fine stallions, converging battle troops, and court commissions to the Vernets and their honored friends. Here was his space. Scorched, implacable skies, clouds raining dust. An ocean so tumultuous and vast it would hurt your eyes to stare at it for long. Men huddled on an improbable tempest-tossed raft. Mere planks lashed by rotting cords.Perhaps he had chanced ...more
Published March 6th 2007 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The God of Spring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The God of Spring

L. W.
Feb 20, 2011 L. W. rated it liked it
Being a lover of art history, I did enjoy this insight into the painter Gericault. If you have ever seen his painting, The Raft of the Medusa, you will understand why this story grips. His painting, based on a tragically negligent marine desertion, the events that unfolded upon the raft as the deserted attempted to survive, and the government's coverup of what really transpired on that fateful day is bone-chilling.

I had no insight either into the story, nor of Gericault's life, until I read thi
Ron Charles
Dec 25, 2013 Ron Charles rated it really liked it
A hundred years before the Titanic became the world's largest seafaring metaphor, another shipwreck captured and horrified the public imagination. The Medusa disaster of 1816 boasted the same elements of hubris, avoidability and incompetence, but its details are even more gruesome and outrageous.

In the early days of France's restored monarchy, four French ships set sail for Senegal. The largest, the Medusa, carried about 400 people, including the colony's new governor and his family. The captain
David
Jul 17, 2015 David rated it liked it
Talk about some weird coincidences. This book tells the tale of Théodore Géricault painting his greatest painting "The Raft of the Medusa" painted around 1818-1819.

In May 2015 I actually stood in front of the magnificent painting at the Louvre. It literally took my breath away. I studied this painting in art college and longed to see it. The power of the size (18 x 24 feet), the gravitas, the depth of human suffering along with the deep somber colours makes this a pivotal painting that spurred o
Margaret
Jun 09, 2014 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
100 anos antes do Titanic houve uma outra tragédia marítima que tentou ser “abafada” pelas autoridades francesas, mas que o jovem pintor Théodore Géricault decidiu imortalizar na sua grande obra “A Jangada de Medusa”. Tal como a maioria dos visitantes do Louvre, fiquei impressionada quando a vi pela primeira vez, por isso, foi giro ler um livro que apresenta, de forma ficcional, o pocesso criativo desta obra.

Depois de receber a mais importante distinção de pintura com apenas vinte e um anos, Gér
Lisa
Jul 24, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The God of Spring has been on my TBR for ages… I bought it because I was so impressed by Arabella Edge’s first novel The Company, which was shortlisted for the Miles Franklin Award and won the 2001 Commonwealth Writers Prize for Best First Book in the Southeast Asia/South Pacific region. The God of Spring has turned out to be even better than I expected and I am cross with myself for leaving it so long to get round to reading it.

The novel, set in Restoration Paris in 1818, is the story of a grea
Rosina Lippi
Jan 18, 2010 Rosina Lippi rated it liked it
Edge's second historical novel takes as its subject the French artist Théodore Géricault and the genesis of one of his best known paintings, The Raft of the Medusa.

We are dropped into Géricault's life at a difficult point: in 1818 he is trying to extract himself from a clandestine affair with Alexandrine, six years his senior but much younger than her husband, who happens also to be Géricault's uncle and benefactor. Géricault is also at crossroads in his career. At the tender age of twenty-one
Jessica
Jan 23, 2008 Jessica rated it liked it
Recommends it for: history lovers, French Revolution, art enthusiasts, tales of ships at sea
I picked this book out b/c I was an art history minor. The book takes place during the French Revolution and chronicles the experince of the artist of the painting who finds and interviews two survivors of a politically charged shipwreck. The story is sad but moving in its ability to tell about difficult things people have experienced and had toovercome. Ultimately, the book left me with a greater understanding and impression for what 18th century France was like and how a lost man, the artist, ...more
Roberto
Apr 18, 2011 Roberto rated it liked it
This novel is based on the famous painting by Theodore Gericault " Le Radeau de la Meduse" which idea was based in a tragic event , the shipwreck of a french frigate in the 19th century. Though I liked the authors writing style , I never felt riveted by the plot and I didnt felt much empathy not even for the castaways despite their dreadful story. Nevertheless , this novel made me more curious about the shipwreck of the Meduse and about Gericault s painting too. ...more
Cassandra Kay Silva
Jun 28, 2011 Cassandra Kay Silva rated it liked it
Shelves: art
The book had a few really interesting images that it called into the readers mind. The artist sitting in his studio collecting corpses and draping them on this set up to draw from was morbidly beautiful. I also liked the description of some of the troubles the crew had at sea. Unfortunately as a whole the book was poorly delivered. I would still pick up something by this author though I wasn't unhappy with her writing.
Laurinda Paz
Mar 06, 2014 Laurinda Paz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Um livro interessante sobre a história por detrás de uma obra de arte. Revela aspetos interessantes da cidade de Paris na primeira metade do século XIX. Alguns pormenores sobre a referência produção de cores e de composição das tintas, entre outros, revelarem uma pesquisa séria da autora, para a redação deste livre.

Karen
Oct 06, 2007 Karen rated it liked it
Artists and art history lovers would enjoy this book. A historical fiction/literary look at the famous painting, Raft of the Medusa, by Theodore Gericault (early 1800-French). Probably not for the "light" reader.
Eloise
May 01, 2012 Eloise rated it liked it
Interesting story. A bit drab at parts, drags a bit then all of a sudden ends, but I'm pleased I read it.
Jim
Perhaps if the story was more about the raft & its occupants rather than the artist trying to paint it then it would be worthy of more stars. Not entirely a bad read though.
Scott
Jul 05, 2009 Scott rated it liked it
Well-written fictional account of historic painting. Even though I know little about painting, I enjoyed the descriptions of some of the technical aspects of the artist's craft.
Eva
Jan 07, 2014 Eva rated it it was ok
An interesting topic and not a bad book but I found it difficult to get into. It somehow did not seem to fully hang/come together as well as you might like.
Aidan Krainock
Aidan Krainock rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2010
P.A. Pursley
P.A. Pursley rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2011
Rosa Medina
Rosa Medina rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2013
Lia Von straßerburg
Lia Von straßerburg rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Iceman
Iceman rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2013
Jackie Law
Jackie Law rated it it was ok
Mar 01, 2014
Bianca
Bianca rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2010
Vera
Vera rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2012
Izzylf
Izzylf rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2012
Caroline
Caroline rated it it was ok
Oct 09, 2008
Ursula
Ursula rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2013
Biancaneve
Biancaneve rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2009
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2012
Ashleigh
Ashleigh rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2013
Oliver Bromham
Oliver Bromham rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2013