Start by marking “Selected Odes” as Want to Read:
Selected Odes

Selected Odes

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  204 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The atom, a tuna, laziness, love—the everyday elements and essences of human experience glow in the translucent language of Neruda's odes. Chilean poet Pablo Neruda wrote three books of odes during his lifetime. Odas elementales was published in 1954, followed in subsequent years by Nuevas odas elementales and Tercer libro de las odas. Margaret Sayers Peden's selection of ...more
Published November 1st 2000 by University of California Press (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Odes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Odes

The Complete Poems by Emily DickinsonLeaves of Grass by Walt WhitmanShakespeare's Sonnets by William ShakespeareThe Waste Land and Other Poems by T.S. EliotAriel by Sylvia Plath
Best Poetry Books
256th out of 1,573 books — 1,735 voters
The Collected Poems by Langston HughesThe Poetry of Pablo Neruda by Pablo NerudaPoems by Maya AngelouSelected Poems by Gwendolyn BrooksLoose Woman by Sandra Cisneros
Favorite Poets of Color
43rd out of 370 books — 114 voters

More lists with this book...

R.G. Evans
I've read Neruda before, but I must not have been ready for him since his poems never grabbed me before. These odes, though, were a revelation in their ecstatic celebration of the everyday. Nice to know I've caught up with the rest of the world in loving Neruda.
Jul 21, 2007 Malbadeen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: thiefs
I bought this book for your birthday, Sarah and then I started reading it and then I read it so much it looked used so....I did see a biography of Pamela lee Anderson you might enjoy, I understand it's a "must read" and your bday is still a ways out. I'm sure you'll be pleased either way.
The only thing about this book (Neruda not Anderson) that I don't love is the format: Spanish on the left and English on the right. I understand the intent but everytime I turn the page, it breaks a little becau
Frankly, these poems should come off as completely trite. I mean, they're these long, rambling, effusive poems glowing with delight -- the kind of romantic stuff that should make a reader want to gag. And yet Neruda has such a gift for the ode -- his delight feels genuine, sincere, and somehow rigorous. In his "Ode to the Seagull" for example, he waxes rhapsodic for a while about the lightness of the bird and then acknowledges that the story doesn't end there -- that the seagull is also a greedy ...more
We live
on the edge
of the wave,
with the smell of the sea,
with its starry wine.
Textured personification, the friendly snaking down of words for easy breathing; a little humor, a little tragedy, a little love. "Poetry is an act of peace." "Peace goes into the making of a poet as flour goes into the making of bread." Neruda guides us to thinking about the ordinary differently. Ode to the Thread gives us the imperative to transmit the lightening of poetry -- "revived by the light of each new day."
This is a book that I have bought, given away, bought...this is one title I insist on having my own copy of at all times. Such a lovely book filled with Neruda's loving, loving observations of the natural world. Ode to Time is likely my favorite. I am indebted to Mata for years ago giving me a copy of Neruda's Ode to an Artichoke, which introduced me to the miracle that is Neruda.
If snow falls
upon two heads,
the heart is sweet
the house is warm.
If not,
in the storm, the wind
where is the woman you loved?
and nipping at your heels
will press you to seek her.
Half a woman is one woman
and one man is half a man.
Each lives in half a house,
each sleeps in half a bed.
No one glorifies the rooster like Neruda... Those who know him, need no explanation. Pablo Neruda takes a seemingly banal subject and creates a fantastic and extraordinarily enthralling little world for it through the skill of breathtakingly beautiful language and totally unique imagery.
I wish that I could write with such descriptive beauty as Pablo Neruda. He is my favorite poet for his choice of words and the visual feast that they provide. I like the fact that these are presented in his original spanish with the english translation on the facing page.
These poems tended to be longer than his usual poems. I was so impressed with the odes to such things as socks, the dictionary, seaweed, etc. My favrite odes were to Salt, Lemon and The Tomatoe.
My favorite book of Neruda, and I love the translation, too. The odes are so simple but yet they are so visual I see a short move in each one. Ode to the Artichoke is one of my favorites.
Este es el hilo
de la poesía.
Los hechos como ovejas
van cargados
de luna
o blanca.

Oda al hilo

I love Neruda's odes. I'll leave it at that. :)
How to distill an exaltation: for each line, maybe one, two or three words...tapping on the reader's breath...points of light, a code in the night sky.
There's too much beauty in these odes to even deal with. And Margaret Sayers Peden is my favorite translator of Neruda.
A- Lovely bilingual poems. I read them in both Spanish and English.
Heather marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Claire is currently reading it
Nov 04, 2015
Moushumi Ghosh
Moushumi Ghosh marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Michael Slattery
Michael Slattery is currently reading it
Oct 10, 2015
Vicki Gundrum
Vicki Gundrum marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Krista marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Jonathan Alva
Jonathan Alva marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
AnneMarie marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
  • Collected Poems, 1948-1984
  • Selected Poems
  • Selected Poems: 1931-2004
  • Begin Again: Collected Poems
Pablo Neruda was the pen name and, later, legal name of the Chilean writer and politician Neftalí Ricardo Reyes Basoalto. Neruda assumed his pen name as a teenager, partly because it was in vogue, partly to hide his poetry from his father, a rigid man who wanted his son to have a "practical" occupation. Neruda's pen name was derived from Czech writer and poet Jan Neruda; Pablo is thought to be fro ...more
More about Pablo Neruda...