Start by marking “Donuthead” as Want to Read:
Donuthead

Donuthead (Donuthead #1)

Franklin Delano Donuthead is a fifth grader with a lot of problems: For starters, his last name is Donuthead. He considers himself handicapped because one arm and leg are shorter than the other (by less than half an inch), his mother is trying to poison him with non-organic foods (like salami), he doesn’t have a father, and Sarah Kervick, the new girl, who’s mean and total ...more
Published June 28th 2005 by Yearling (first published October 14th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Donuthead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Donuthead

Lucy
Jun 20, 2008 Lucy rated it really liked it
"My name, if you must know, is Franklin Delano Donuthead. Try saying that in a room full of fifth graders if you think names will never hurt you."

Franklin Delano Donuthead is a hygene-concious fifth grade boy. He is obsessed with cleanliness and safety and the probability of fatality. He has weekly--sometimes daily--phone conversations with Glora Nelots at the National Safety Department. He doesn't do anything that has even the remotest possibility of risk. Ever. But even with that philosophy, h
Rebekah
May 31, 2012 Rebekah rated it it was amazing
I. Loved. This. Book. Really.

Donuthead should be required reading for every fourth or fifth grader. And every adult. It deals with bullying and fighting for yourself and fighting for other people and dreams and hope and looking past appearance to help someone else and be changed in the process. Franklin Delano Donuthead is a boy caught in fear. Stauffacher deals with Franklin's "handicap," which could have become tedious or annoying, in a way that keeps the reader laughing at the absurdity. It
Pop Bop
Mar 15, 2015 Pop Bop rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
A Dozen Books in One - And All Good

On some level this may be one of the most densely layered middle grade books I've ever read. By that I mean that it would probably engage readers from the early chapter book level all the way up to confident early YA readers. It's just that subtle, well crafted and ambitious. It is good humored, laugh-out-loud funny, generous and lovely.

In its most basic form this is the story of a shy, neurotic germaphobe kid, Franklin, and the tough-egg new fifth grade girl,
Salsabrarian
Franklin Delano Donuthead is very particular about his personal safety, health and sanitation. He prefers organic vegetables with antioxidants over the Twinkies his mother enjoys. He obsesses over the fact that there is a 1/2 inch difference of length in his two legs. And his ability to play baseball is hampered by his concerns over getting beaned in the head by the ball. When new girl Sarah Kervick shows up with matted hair and no hesitation in punching the school bully, Franklin's life is turn ...more
Ava
Feb 28, 2015 Ava rated it really liked it
In the book Donuthead written by Sue Stauffacher main character Franklin Delano Donuthead has many problems. First with his name. He was named the famous Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Second, at Franklin's school he is bullied by the most fearsome kid at school Marvin Howerton. Third, Franklin's mother does not understand him. And Lastly, he is around infectious children everyday who don't wash their hands accurately. Until one day when Sarah Kervick comes into Franklin's life. She has no class or ...more
Prince William Public Library System
Franklin Delano Donuthead is a boy in fifth grade. He is very overprotective of himself, so it was no surprise he was scared of the new girl, Sarah Kervick. Franklin saw Sarah as a violent, unhygienic girl. Later, he sees a different Sarah, one with a fear and a dream. Read Donuthead to find out how Sarah pursues her dream with the help of Franklin.

- Stephen, PWPLS Teen Summer Reader

Click here to find the book at the Prince William County Public Library System.
Debra
Feb 23, 2008 Debra rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids and adults who like quirky novels
A very funny, fast paced novel with quirky, loveable characters.
Aaron Seger
Jan 07, 2016 Aaron Seger rated it really liked it
Badiss
May 31, 2009 Badiss rated it really liked it
This book is about a boy named Franklin Delano Donuthead who has a rough childhood. His classmates make fun of him, because of his last name. His mom wants him to play for the New York Yankees when he grows up. The bully named Marvin Howerton, who has big fists and a small brain. Franklin’s mom, teachers, and classmates don’t understand the importance of proper sanitation. This new girl transfers to Franklin’s school, this girl is tough. She beats up Marvin twice, and she becomes baseball’s prot ...more
Hope
May 04, 2016 Hope rated it liked it
This is a book about a bog who's name is Franklin and last name is donut head. All the kids at Pelican Elementary make fun of Franklin for his name and a little because his arm is longer then his other arm by just a little, same with his legs. His mom is determined to play for the new York Yankees. Along the way Franklin makes some new friends, a girl named Sarah has played a interested in him. Read more to find out.
Sophie Mulder
May 19, 2015 Sophie Mulder rated it liked it
THis book is about a kid who overcomes his fear of being sanitary with the help of a unsanitary girl named Sarah. In this book it shows the story of two people becoming friends, and changing them for the better. I thought that this book was okay, but not the best. I give this book 3.5 stars.
Rachel Brokaw
Sep 22, 2014 Rachel Brokaw rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This story was different than my typical genre. It is a humorous story that was a funny read. It was not my favorite book, but would be a good change of pace for elementary students. It is a very wacky story but would be great for enhancing children's creativity.
Alisha
Jun 30, 2014 Alisha rated it it was amazing
Read this after my 10 year old did for summer reading. It's a wonderful story about learning to show compassion and understanding for those who are different from you. It should be a must read for 5th-6th graders!
Jun 30, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
I picked up this ridiculous looking book while M. was perusing the library - just so that I'd have something quick to read while she wandered up and down the aisles. I was expecting it to be silly and full of stupid-ness. Instead, I found myself interested. There's a lot going on in this silly little book for younger readers (probably upper elementary) to be thinking about: abuse, bullying, helping each other out, mental illness, the nature of families and love, following your dreams, illiteracy ...more
Cailey Kiekintveld
May 03, 2015 Cailey Kiekintveld rated it it was ok
I think that it was ok and not more excitement or action witch is what I like in books. But it was very good and if i could read it slower then I think that I would like it more.
Trent
Apr 21, 2016 Trent added it
I think this book was good. I would recommend this book. I think it was funny how Franklins really scared of a lot of things. And how in the end how to live a little.
Charlie Tucker
May 30, 2015 Charlie Tucker rated it really liked it
I give this book 4 stars
For Realistic Fiction lovers.
Level S

He find a "friend" that changes his life.
Caleb Torrey
Mar 07, 2016 Caleb Torrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got better

At first I didn't like than I was on the edge of my seat overall a good book. I give it a
Marilyn
Jun 08, 2015 Marilyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-china, 2015
Clever writing. I want to read Gloria's story. Would have loved to read this out loud to kids!
elissa
Nov 29, 2007 elissa rated it really liked it
Recommended to elissa by: Carter Hasegawa
My older son and I read this aloud together. It took us awhile, but not because we weren't enjoying it, we just didn't have that much time to read, and had another book that we were also reading for a book group. My son said he'd give it 5 stars when we were done. I liked it a lot, but there was something slightly missing for me (in terms of putting it in the "amazing" category), and I'm not sure what. The first page had us both laughing so hard that we were crying, but we both agreed that that ...more
Elisheva Rina
Feb 22, 2015 Elisheva Rina rated it it was amazing
This book...! It's AMAZING. It's HILARIOUS. It's a MUST-READ.
Daniel K.
May 21, 2015 Daniel K. rated it really liked it
A funny story about a odd kid.
Mel
Jul 13, 2007 Mel rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, children, to-buy
I thought this book was great. I was amused on nearly every page, and some parts even made me chuckle a bit. Given that it's very rare for me to laugh out loud at something I'm reading, this book was very funny. It also had some genuinely touching moments, including the ending. I think that even as a I child I would have loved it, although it's true that Franklin sounds nothing like a typical child.
Deanna
Jul 13, 2015 Deanna rated it it was amazing
This book is hilarious, however, I am not sure if kids would "get" the humor. I enjoyed it thoroughly. It is about a 5th grade boy and I think 5 and 6th graders would like.
Jori
Jun 07, 2011 Jori rated it it was amazing
Shelves: women-author
A neurotic 5th grader, who is preoccupied by problems that prevent him from being a normal child. He befriends a tough girl, who through his mother's help is able to become "girly". She comes from the typical "bad home" and he comes from a decent enough home where the mother is completely nice. It's a great read, though some of it seems a bit too old for the age group this is for.
Susie
Jul 23, 2008 Susie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Sometimes I worry that the more children's books I read, the more it takes to wow me. Donuthead is a good example of this phenomenon! I enjoyed this book about an obsessive compulsive fifth-grader named Franklin Delano Donuthead, but I didn't love it. The children's lit world abounds with misfits with funny names, and unfortunately Donuthead just didn't stand out for me.
Rebecca
Franklin Delano Donuthead, a fifth-grader obsessed with hygiene and safety, finds an unlikely friend and protector in Sarah Kervick, the tough new student who lives in a dirty trailer, bonds with his mother, and is as "irregular" as he is.

This book was a hilarious read. Highly recommended. (I transferred this review from an index card I made years ago.)
Wendy
Dec 23, 2008 Wendy added it
I'm going through a list of funny middle-grade books with boys to get inspired for my work-in-progress. Donuthead came highly recommended, but I've discovered a big pet peeve - there are no stinkin' margins except for the first and last pages of the chapters. It gives one the uncertain feeling that one might fall out of the book at any given moment.
Heather
Feb 06, 2013 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: read-childrens
Cute, humorous story! I've wanted to read this for a long time -- someone recommended it. Maybe it was OSC? Anyway, Donuthead's character with his obsessions reminded me of I am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells. However, Donuthead is not a pyschopath, but he is pretty intense about trying to be safe. Sarah is a great complement to him. G
Phair
Feb 19, 2011 Phair rated it it was ok
Very odd book. Not sure what age group will appreciate this. Main character is a fifth grader who acts like a neurotic 35 year old. Apart from the boy, Franklin, acting too "adult" and his Mom being too, too nice this was an OK story about realizing your potential & facing your fears- embracing the dangers of everyday existence.
  • Exploits of a Reluctant (But Extremely Goodlooking) Hero
  • Storky: How I Lost My Nickname and Won the Girl
  • Rock Star Superstar
  • Don't Call Me Ishmael!
  • Rules for Ghosting
  • Bindi Babes (Bindi Babes, #1)
  • Emako Blue