Start by marking “The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie” as Want to Read:
The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie

The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,507 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
The story follows brothers Snugglepot and Cuddlepie, and their adventures in the Australian bush. As well as many friends, along the way they encounter the wicked Banksia Men.
Hardcover
Published by Cornstalk Publishing (first published 1918)

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCulloughTomorrow, When the War Began by John MarsdenA Town Like Alice by Nevil ShuteCloudstreet by Tim WintonPicnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay
Best Books Set in Australia
14th out of 574 books — 375 voters
Possum Magic by Mem FoxDiary of a Wombat by Jackie FrenchAnimalia by Graeme BaseWhere is the Green Sheep? by Mem FoxWhere the Forest Meets the Sea by Jeannie Baker
Best Australian literature for children
9th out of 282 books — 143 voters

More lists with this book...

Jean
Jan 31, 2016 Jean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jean by: B the BookAddict
If the title Snugglepot and Cuddlepie makes you wince, then this is not for you. For as the saying goes, what you see is what you get. On the other hand, if you just went "Aww!" at the title and picture, or you have a yen for childhood nostalgia, or you have very young children at the moment, then this is a treat. Older children may sneer contemptuously, or they may secretly rather enjoy it if they like cute stories. It is an Australian classic.

May Gibbs was an Australian author, although she wa
Jacqueline Brocker
Nov 02, 2012 Jacqueline Brocker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nanolomo
I’m not sure how well-known outside of Australia these stories – and art work, especially – are. Even if you didn’t read, or had read to you, the stories of the gumnut babies Snugglepot and Cuddlepie, their friends Ragged Blossom, and Mr Lizard, and those dastardly Banksia men, if you’re Aussie, you know the image of a gumnut baby well. These you can see on the cover here, whose dress and life is based on the gumnuts produced by the eucalyptus tree.

Taking an educated guess, I’d say the illustrat
Izzy
May 13, 2010 Izzy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i can remember reading it as a child and loving it. i have personal feelings towards it and is for me cherished.
Belinda G
Jan 23, 2010 Belinda G rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyoneeee!!
Recommended to Belinda by: My granny
This book is the reason why I have so much love and respect for lizards and am still scared of Banksias. I have an irrational fear that they will come alive and render me deadibones!
Linda
My memories of this book are less about the story - which is all over the place and darned hard to follow sometimes - and ALL about the pictures. Gorgeous, detailed, parallel universe, Aussie bush, hand-drawn illustrations. May Gibbs was truly an artist.

Bum scrum. My favourite. You'll have to find a copy and go towards the end of the book (Little Obelia) to find it. Having seen a rugby scrum will explain better, but still ridiculously cute.

And yes, like many Aussie kids 'afore me, the Big Bad Ba
Adrielle
Dec 31, 2015 Adrielle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
This is an Aussie tale that is such a classic that it is still read in homes today. It is an exceptional story accompanied by exceptional art. Lots of love for the Aussie classics.
Asher
Feb 05, 2014 Asher rated it really liked it
this is like my childhood in one book. It used to be a tradition that my mum would read me a book every night or a chapter of a book if it was a series or a novel. But when we started reading these it was like a whole new world opened up to me. The characters were mostly absolutely adorable with their little hats and the writing managed to reach out to younger readers/ listeners emotionally too. The pictures were incredibly lovely. All in all, I loved this series and the memories it holds for me ...more
Catsalive
Mar 30, 2015 Catsalive rated it liked it
Shelves: aww-previous, 2015
The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie contains: The Tales of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie (first published in 1918) and its two sequels, Little Ragged Blossom (1920) and Little Obelia (1921). The tales follow the adventures of two gumnut babies & their friends and foes.

I have just read this for the first time. I don't know why, but it never crossed my path as a child, unlike The Magic Pudding, Blinky Bill & The Muddle-Headed Wombat. You'd think it would have been a natural incl
Margaret E
Absolutely loved it as a child. Adored the drawings, they were so detailed and just wonderful. I still have a thing for "gum leaves", because of this wonderful book. A great childhood adventure.
Heather
Jan 31, 2009 Heather rated it it was amazing
It's a shame more people don't know this book. If they did, they would understand my terror of all things that look like Banksia Men!
Robyn
Jan 10, 2011 Robyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book when I was a little girl, but was terrified by the Banksia men. LOL
David
Apr 03, 2016 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember enjoying the adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie when I was a kid so I decided to read them again today when I saw them on my older sister's bookcase. It is still a fun read! My edition contains 3 separate adventures and they rarely slow down. There is always some new or returning danger lurking about to threaten our heroes, but still plenty of fun adventures too. My edition also contains many nice illustrations by author May Gibbs which honestly may be what I remembered the most f ...more
Julia Brumfield
Ok this book is one that definitely has a bunch of mixed thoughts for me. My oldest niece (who is 14) sent it to me without reading it since the reading material itself seemed questionable while too strange for her own tastes.

My first thoughts were like "ok". And then my second thought was, "I don't know about this. It could possibly be ok, maybe." And I couldn't help but look through the pictures of the book itself. They were quaint, cute and very detailed while doing a wonderful job into add
Amy
Feb 15, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am certainly glad I fulfil the 7+ category this book seems to have been given. Personally I think when it comes to books like Snugglepot and Cuddlepie, Peter Pan, Blinky Bill, any of these classic children's literature there should be no age. Everyone must enjoy them as soon as they are able. There is nothing in this book a six year old wouldn't understand, they'd love it.

Snugglepot and Cuddlepie is practically an Australian institution. I do not know how legitimate these claims are but I thin
Amelia
Feb 10, 2015 Amelia rated it really liked it
I thought it was quite a good book . I loved the illustrations of the the Nuts,Blossoms,lizard,obelia and especially the banksia men. Partly because they told me what the characters looked like(it's easier to imagine the scene if a book has pictures) and partly because I thought they were amusing. I loved the first three books and I can't wait to read the others!
Matthew Hodge
May Gibbs was probably a better illustrator than a story-teller, because her illustrations are amazing (especially in the version I had) but her plotlines are totally off-the-cuff and haphazard.

Still, my kids have always loved it at age 5 and I'm nostalgic about it as well.
Adele
Sep 13, 2015 Adele rated it it was amazing
Loved the pictures and Little Ragged Blossom. My ballet school did it when I was 8. I was a lizard and a banksia man! Years later my daughters ballet school did it and she played mrs koala.
Bev Dowdell
Dec 28, 2014 Bev Dowdell rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book as a child and when I would babysit children this was the book I would grab as I raced out the door to inspire other kids to love it too!
Craig Hodges
May 04, 2014 Craig Hodges rated it really liked it

Still can't get the image of those dastardly banksia men out of my mind.
Gen
Feb 02, 2015 Gen rated it really liked it
Shelves: australian
an Australian classic. Tells about the adventures about two cheeky gumnuts called Snugglepot and Cuddlepie. The illustrations are beautiful.
Kylie Abecca
May 06, 2016 Kylie Abecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely adorable book. Lovely illustrations and an adorable storyline.
Andi Caffrey
Sep 15, 2015 Andi Caffrey rated it really liked it
so many fond memories of reading this in my childhood - fantastic!
S.A. Carter
Nov 22, 2015 S.A. Carter rated it really liked it
I loved these books as a child.
Jen
Jan 12, 2008 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: favorites
I read this book initially way back in the 80s when I was a little girl, my aunt brought it back from her trip to Australia in a beautiful green binding which my constant reading creased and battered! When I went to Australia I found a new nice paperback version of it that I picked up for my kids (before i had any). The writing is easy to follow and full of Australian wildlife. Long time favorite of mine. I'll add more detail to this when I can get the book out of storage :)
Bianca Smith
Jan 17, 2014 Bianca Smith rated it it was amazing
My all-time favorite book when I was 10. It's adorable.
Patricia
Jun 30, 2011 Patricia rated it it was ok
Shelves: children, aussie
Bianca
Jan 06, 2011 Bianca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
I just re-read the complete series to my two beautiful little cousins and they loved them! It brings back such wonderful memories of when I was a kid and loved to read them and have them read to me. This should be a staple for every kids shelf, no matter how old the kid is!
Mike Baker
This is one of my most memorable books from early childhood. I can't recall the stories themselves that well but I vividly remember enjoying its illustrations. The pictures of the evil Banksia men were terrifying and have left a permanent scar in my mind.
Ant
Jan 30, 2013 Ant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Really great fun. Lots of good hearted little characters on hair raising & exotic adventures. Rather a good story line traveling along a wide expanse of imagination. Could definitely read this one again & not necessarily as bed time read.
Sally
So much love, nothing more needs to be said. My copy of this is in absolute tatters - complete with most of the pictures coloured in. I'd kind of like to buy a second copy... if only so I can colour them all in again!
Banksia Men 3 7 May 04, 2014 08:04PM
  • Blinky Bill
  • The Magic Pudding
  • The Muddle-Headed Wombat
  • Possum Magic
  • Seven Little Australians (Woolcots, #1)
  • Wombat Stew
  • My Place
  • Penny Pollard's Diary
  • Where the Forest Meets the Sea
  • Storm Boy
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat (Picture Puffin)
  • Are We There Yet?: A Journey Around Australia
  • A Lion in the Meadow (Picture Puffin)
  • Diary of a Wombat