Start by marking “Adventures of Ideas” as Want to Read:
Adventures of Ideas

Adventures of Ideas

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  147 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The title of this book, Adventures of Ideas, bears two meanings, both applicable to the subject-matter. One meaning is the effect of certain ideas in promoting the slow drift of mankind towards civilization. This is the Adventure of Ideas in the history of mankind. The other meaning is the author's adventure in framing a speculative scheme of ideas which shall be explanato ...more
Published January 1st 1967 by Free Press (first published 1933)

Zach
Sep 06, 2010 Zach rated it it was amazing
For a philosophical treatment of the effect of ideas' on history and culture, this book was a veritable page-turner. I had read Part I probably over a year ago, and was all amped to continue, when the book disappeared from the living room coffee table. When it turned up last month in our black hole of a garage, I tore back into it, even though Blood Meridian was currently holding my interest, and, oh yeah, I was then living with a one-month old in my house. I tore into it and didn't stop until I ...more
C. Wells
Sep 03, 2007 C. Wells rated it really liked it
My only criticism is the old-fashioned ethnocentrism inherent throughout. On the whole, however, Whitehead was an amazingly progressive thinker whose perspectives, though often difficult and clothed in his own metaphysical terminology, are interesting and sometimes sublime.
Peter Mcloughlin
I like Whitehead. In his writing he comes off optimistic, liberal, humane, urbane and interesting. He seems like a good decent person. He I would guess believes in a very liberal form of Christianity. Like most decent and humane Christians he honestly tries to engage with modern science and the enlightenment. At the same time being an optimistic Christian I sense that he wishes for some divine purpose to the Universe an impulse almost universal to people. He is a liberal humane and scientifical ...more
Dan
Apr 30, 2016 Dan rated it it was amazing
Alfred North Whitehead's "Adventures of Ideas" of 1933 could be two separate books. Parts I and II ("Sociological" and "Cosmological") show a fine thinker considering the history of ideas and the rise of civilization. There are interesting propositions on every page, presented with refreshing clarity of thought. It is not a fast read but is accessible.

Parts III and IV ("Philosophical" and "Civilization"), perhaps except for the early chapters, are not for the general reader but rather for studen
Phillip Ross
May 12, 2009 Phillip Ross rated it liked it
My undergraduate degree in philosophy focused on Whitehead. This was prior to my own conversion. While I now am quite critical of Whitehead, I acknowledge him as an import modern thinker.
Mohammad
Jul 25, 2015 Mohammad rated it really liked it
A Classical Whitehead- Style Book , with an amazing flow of ideas , Coherent contents. I really liked it.
Cameron
Sep 04, 2013 Cameron rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book. It has a permanent place on my bookshelf.
Roberto Rigolin Ferreira Lopes
Whitehead travels loose but deep within ideas supporting human understanding/control over nature and over ourselves. The fun here comes from his provocative argument often saying that civilization is composed by patterns of behaviour + emotion + belief but it also need adventurous actions (e.g., his own) to keep things evolving. To conclude that “religions are often more barbarous than the civilizations in which they flourish”. Go for it if you feel adventurous!
Joe Sampson
Apr 21, 2016 Joe Sampson rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
Some parts of this book were interesting. Large parts of this book were incomprehensible.
Aaron
Aaron is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2016
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Mel Foster
Mel Foster marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
David Couts
David Couts is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2016
Gloria Kwan
Gloria Kwan marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
K.
K. marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Quinn
Quinn rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Kristian
Kristian marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Mark Schoonover
Mark Schoonover marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Liana
Liana marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Leandro
Leandro marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Ruben
Ruben marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Alwaleed Alwagdani
Alwaleed Alwagdani marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Demjancuk Nikolaj
Demjancuk Nikolaj marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Matthew Schanuel
Matthew Schanuel rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Zachary Gekas
Zachary Gekas rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2016
Sebastián Góngora
Sebastián Góngora rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Ashley Adams
Ashley Adams rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
  • The Mystery of Things
  • Pictures from an Institution
  • Invariances: The Structure of the Objective World
  • The Western Intellectual Tradition: From Leonardo to Hegel
  • Principia Mathematica to '56 (Mathematical Library)
  • Against the Current: Essays in the History of Ideas
  • The Quest for Certainty: A Study of the Relation of Knowledge and Action
  • تشكيل العقل الحديث
  • From Modernism to Postmodernism: An Anthology
  • Art and Scholasticism With Other Essays
  • The Blue and Brown Books
  • Fold: Leibniz and the Baroque
Alfred North Whitehead, OM FRS (15 February 1861 – 30 December 1947) was an English mathematician and philosopher. He is best known as the defining figure of the philosophical school known as process philosophy, which today has found application to a wide variety of disciplines, including ecology, theology, education, physics, biology, economics, and psychology, among other areas.

In his early care
More about Alfred North Whitehead...