Start by marking “Fairytales Slashed 1” as Want to Read:
Fairytales Slashed 1

Fairytales Slashed 1 (Fairytales Slashed #1)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  400 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Fairytales never grow old, because there is never an end of new ways to tell them, new ways to see them. In this first volume of many to come, see what happens when a humble blacksmith fights a duel, a prince conspires with bandits, and a lonely thief seeks shelter in a lone tower. See a goblin try to save his brother, and a tutor watch over his perfect princess, while a s ...more
Published November 16th 2010 by Less Than Three Press (first published November 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Fairytales Slashed 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fairytales Slashed 1

Truth in the Dark by Amy LaneDuck! by Kim DareCinder by Marie SextonThe Pedlar and the Bandit King by Kirby CrowThe Student Prince by FayJay
Best Gay books based on fairytales
15th out of 136 books — 283 voters
Tales from a New Amsterdam by Hunter S. JonesCraving Red by Rosalind ScarlettWicked by Gregory MaguireBriar Rose by Jane YolenThe Bride and the Beast by Teresa Medeiros
Adult Fairy Tales Remake
22nd out of 164 books — 78 voters

More lists with this book...

Deeze
Overall a solid 4 star read when you want to re live all those Fairy tales from the past but with a slight twist lol. No sex on page.

Main Gauche

A sweet story. Would of liked a little closure with the step father and son. Also I found it hard to believe Dagger had no idea who Tan was. But still a sweet fairy tale. 3 stars

The Rose and the Fox

A delightful twist on Sleeping Beauty. 3.5 stars

The Tower

Rapunzel this time. A interesting version, better than the original lol. 3.5 stars

Brigh
Jaya
I have mixed issues with this book. One I really did enjoy the majority of the stories in it. My issue with the book are more technical. Now I'm not one to point figures at people for typos and such; however, I have some issues.

(view spoiler)
Amanda
Main Gauche (4 stars): A cinderella vibe with a twist of a tournament rather than a ball. Also available as part of The Rapier Brothers, which also includes Dagger's two step-bothers.

The Rose and the Fox (4.5 stars): A prince works together with a thief/bandit to save his sister from a sleeping beauty type curse.

The Tower (4 stars): An ex-thief becomes Rapunzel's accomplice in her escape from the tower.

Brightleaf (4.5 stars): A healer helps a goblin atempt to heal his human half-brother.

Perfect
T.T. Kove
The Toad Prince: 5 stars.
The Troll: 4.5 stars.
The Tower: 5 stars.
The Soldier: 5 stars.
The Rosebush: 5 stars.
The Ogre of the Black Mountain: 5 stars.
The Rose and the Fox: 5 stars. Prequel to both Prince Ike and Librarian.
Prince Ike and the Witch: 5 stars. This is a sequel to The Librarian's Tale
Caroline's Bridegroom: 3.25 stars. A small m/f prequel to Prince Ike and the Witch.
The Librarian's Tale: 5 stars.
The Curse: 4.5 stars.
Rumors: 4 stars.
Perfect: 5 stars.
More Precious Than Gold: 4 stars.
Br
Mandi
Simply loved this book. I bookmarked so many stories so I can go back and reread them again and again. I can't recommend this book highly enough!
Julesmarie
I adored this collection of fairy tales! They're all just so beautiful and sweet and hopeful and... well, everything fairy tales should be. I know some other reviewers said that they get repetitive, so perhaps my experience was skewed because I was anticipating that, but I found the stories to be wonderfully varied and unique. Yes, they all have the same sweet predictability of the HEA, but that's one of the things I loved about them: no angst!

I thought the length of each piece was great, also.
miss_chams
Cute enough I suppose. Though the plots and characters were all suspiciously similar after a while. Also there were several minor spelling and grammar errors that I wouldn't have expected in an $8.99 kindle purchase. nothing major, but enough to make you pause.
Anyway if, like me, you enjoy fairy tales with little substance you'll probably have fun with this.
Plainbrownwrapper
These are cute shorts. I get more and more impressed with Derr's imagination, the more I read of hers.

These are mostly too short and insta-lovish for me to **really** get engrossed in, but as appealing quick reads they consistently do their job just fine. 3.5 stars, rounding up to 4.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
4.5
A good read if you like fairytales with a twist:)
Sweet and non explicit.
Mike
Normally, when I think a book is worth 4.5 stars, I round down to four. Four is still a pretty great score, right? But this one, even though it wasn't absolutely perfect, was enough of a delight that I think it deserves the bonus half star. In fact, if I had to choose just one word to describe this, it'd have to be "delightful."

I bought this book after enjoying some of Megan Derr's free short stories. I was glad she gave me the opportunity to sample her work, because she proved that a volume of
Achim
Short stories are like candies: you have to like the taste right from the start or you just take another one. I was never able to switch from Megan Derr's fairytales to something else. To stay with the picture Ms.Derr's fairytales are mostly more than candies. They are more pralines. She captures you right from the start with an opening smooth like chocolate and before you realize it she mixed some new twists into the old story like spices into a truffle, some light and refreshing like mint, som ...more
Xandra
For someone who didn’t particularly like fairytales as a kid, I enjoyed this book a little too much. I suppose this and my new found interest in graphic novels should worry me, it feels like I’m living my life as a reader in reverse. And here I was hoping to do some growing up this year.

I loved these stories and I couldn’t recommend them highly enough. Not only to m/m fans, but also to anyone who watched Twilight for example and wished the sparkly guy and the shirtless wolf guy (sorry, can’t rem
Serehtt
The Toad Prince: 5 stars.
The Troll: 4.5 stars.
The Tower: 5 stars.
The Soldier: 5 stars.
The Rosebush: 5 stars.
The Ogre of the Black Mountain: 5 stars.
The Rose and the Fox: 5 stars. Prequel to both Prince Ike and Librarian.
Prince Ike and the Witch: 5 stars. This is a sequel to The Librarian's Tale
The Librarian's Tale: 5 stars.
The Curse: 4.5 stars.
Rumors: 4 stars.
Perfect: 5 stars.
More Precious Than Gold: 4 stars.
Br
Yumenouveau
I really have no idea why this book has such high ratings. Each story is almost the exact same, so after 2 it's just boring and monotonous. Flat uninteresting characters who FINALLY kiss at the end. There was honestly only one good story in the whole bunch because it didn't follow the typical plot that is in each other one. Not buying the sequels.
Oh and the typos...sooo many typos, this book would benefit greatly from a good editor.
Abi
4.5 stars. I really enjoyed this anthology of short re written fairy tales. Like most anthologies there were some that I found more entertaining than others, however this novel kept me hooked throughout. These short stories are short enough to be able to read one before bed and I liked that as I felt they needed to be read in one chunk to get the full picture of the fairy tale.

I would definitely read some of these again, as my favourites were Brightleaf and the Roase and the Fox - really loved
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
I seriously wanted to squeal and roll up in all that wonderful smooshy romantic happiness that seemed to radiate from this book. No, it was not so fluffy as to make me want to puke, but seriously, Ms Derr doesn't seem to like too much angst.

I'm fine with, sure, but hell do I love all this fucking happiness rolled up into one gorgeous package. As always with Ms Derr's books, I loved it.

Yeah, maybe it got a little repetitive with all the happiness and HEAs and everything. I mean, obviously I was e
Maria
I enjoyed most of the stories very much. The author introduces delightful twists in well-known fairy tales so you can't miss this book if you like both m/m and fantasy. The thing I did not particularly enjoy was the editing. I think the book wants some proofreading because she tends to repeat words and expressions all the time, sometimes on the same page. Her style needs polishing.
All in all, it's an entertaining book; it made me giggle at times and kept the m/m fangirl inside me cont
Catharina
It is a really, really sweet (and tame) book, just like one would expect from fairytales (that are not twisted ;)).
I specially loved the story of Sleeping Beauty - my heart always pounds a bit faster for these teasing troublemakers like Reynard was. Oh and Perfect; of course. Poor, poor Tobias, but Ian was way too charming in his teasing.
And the last story was the perfect cherry on the top.
Alison
Ms Derr is a wonderful writer. Her characters are flawed, but lovable, and you find yourself swept into her stories before you know it. As with other collections I've read of hers, some of the stories are related and she weaves a sensual spell that leaves you gasping. These books are romance, not erotic romance, and I sincerely recommend them to anyone who loves a good story.
ms.beau
Stories I know and love with a new telling. All of them were pretty much PG-13 rating for content. Hmmmm.... Wonder what Disney Studios would do with "The Rose and The Fox"(Sleeping Beauty), "Main Gauche"(Cinderella), and "The Rosebush"(Beauty and The Beast)?
Mirella
4.5 Stars!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not because any of the stories was bad, but simply because some of them were too short to make me truly satisfied... Hence it didn't receive 5, but anyone who likes fairytales and MM romance should read it!
Moose
Megan Derr never disappoints me with her stories. This was a wonderful collection of short stories. I loved how some of the stories were interrelated which added a nice extra dimension to the collection.
Yoshi
Aug 07, 2011 Yoshi marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: m-m
I did enjoy the stories. But they are getting too similar that I can't help but need to put it down for a while.
Persephone
Very sweet and romantic. This is for anyone who loves fairytales - albeit with a bit of a twist ;)
Keziah Wallis
I really enjoyed this stories, some fabulously amusing takes on traditional fairy tails!
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
  • Fairytales Slashed 4
  • That Famous Happy End
  • Seeing is Believing
  • Cinder: A CinderFella Story
  • The Devil's Fire (The Kingdom of Orielle, #1)
  • Azure Seas & Dragon Isles
  • Consorting With Dragons
  • Truth in the Dark
  • The Lodestar of Ys
  • Brute
  • Lord of the White Hell (Lord of the White Hell, #2)
  • Myths and Magic: Legends of Love
Megan is a long time resident of m/m fiction, and keeps herself busy reading, writing, and publishing it. She is often accused of fluff and nonsense. When she's not involved in writing, she likes to cook, harass her cats, or watch movies (especially all things James Bond). She loves to hear from readers, and can be found all around the internet.

maderr.com
maderr.tumblr.com
maderr.livejournal.com
More about Megan Derr...
The Missing Butterfly (Missing Butterfly, #1) The High King's Golden Tongue (Love is Always Write) Dance in the Dark (Dance with the Devil, #2) Dance with the Devil (Dance with the Devil, #1) Prisoner (Kria, #1)