Start by marking “The Confessions of Aleister Crowley: An Autohagiography” as Want to Read:
The Confessions of Aleister Crowley: An Autohagiography

The Confessions of Aleister Crowley: An Autohagiography

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  517 ratings  ·  29 reviews
One of the most famous books on the occult everwritten, this is a record of Crowley's journey into strange regions of consciousness: his initiation into magichis world-wide travels and mistresses, his experimerwith sex and drugs, and the philosophy of his famous Book of the Law.
Published December 5th 1989 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Confessions of Aleister Crowley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Confessions of Aleister Crowley

tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
I found 3 editions of this in the GoodReads database - 1 of the others calls it an "autobiography" & one just calls it "The Confessions of Aleister Crowley". "Autohagiography" means "autobiography of a saint" so reducing that to a mere "autobiography" is completely out of the spirit of the bk. I was tempted to create a new bookshelf here esp in this bk's honor: "megalomania" - but that's too easy a shot. Crowley was far from stupid & there's plenty of humor in his writings. &, beside ...more
Aaron
Jun 28, 2008 Aaron rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: insomniacs
Shelves: autobiography, magick
I may come back to this one...
For someone who's usually rather witty and interesting, this sucked. I felt like someone trapped in an elevator with a pompous gasbag relating his adventures in one of the Boer Wars. I don't give a crap about mountaineering in the early 1900's. It also didn't help that the copy I had was given to me out of the bookstore trash years ago. As I read a page, it came right out of the book. There's a moldering pile on my nightstand now.
Supposedly, he wrote it while on opi
Sean
People should not write books while smoking opium
dragonhelmuk
Brian Holland
This was a well written and interesting account of the life of a very strange yet fascinating individual. If Crowley were alive today, it would be interesting to discover if his lifestyle and ideas would come across as acceptable and normal. Though he was an extremely athletic and intellectual individual, one who may have been on the verge of some fantastic spiritual goals and magical discoveries, he never did quite reach those goals. Although some have labeled him 666 and the Beast, he didn't c ...more
Michael Herrman
For a glimpse into Victorian England (and China, and America, and every other place he visited in his travels) this is the tome to read. It's heavy, several inches thick, but offers a view into a world that most people never see.

Crowley was a prolific writer who eschewed moral and social mores that his peers took for granted, and as you read his account it becomes obvious that he was insane. Regardless, in his chosen realm, no single individual had a greater impact on the western mystical tradi
Steve
Apr 25, 2008 Steve rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adventure lovers
My understanding is that there is an unexpurgated version of this out or coming out. This is a long but exciting and exotic read. Crowley is someone too often typified by the bad press he receieved. This, along with other books that he wrote, secures his reputation as a brilliant synthesist of spiritual paths, mountain climber, prankster, popularizer of sex yoga and so much more. The writing is crisp and filled with humorous observations. Find out what made Uncle Al the "wickedest man in the wor ...more
George
How to act like a spoiled kid and blow a personal fortune
James Wayne Proctor
For such a wicked, bloated "beast" Mr Crowley can nevertheless pack one heck of a wallop on the page. His descriptions of early school days and forays into magicks and the ever-tantalizing beat of his guardian angel's wings are written in such smooth constructions that one almost can forget the page-long paragraphs. They float. The section on his Everest efforts alone is worth cracking open this tome.
Angel Millar
Crowley's writing on occultism ("Magick") can be overly technical. He is at his best when writing about himself or others. With the bizarre and adventurous life he led, Crowley's autobiography is a fun and interesting read.
Raymond Strodl
This is an interesting but very disturbing book about this strange man who is renowned as a master of the occult who called himself the Beast and amended the spelling of his name to ensure its numerology value was 666. He was known as a drug fiend and the most wicked man alive during his day. He is in my opinion along with de Sade among the most enigmatic and very strange authors and thinkers.

This is an excellent and we written book about this mans very strange life and the impact he has had on
Aaron Shea
An excellent book about an influential and incredibly interesting man. It was obvious that his upbringing in the Plymouth Brethren, a group that believed in the literal interpretation of the bible as the word of the Holy Spirit. He created a Thelema as a new rule for people that was given to him by a spirit that he conjured during his magick. He influenced Jimmy Page, David Bowie, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Ozzy Osbourne to name a few. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the occul ...more
Aaron Meyer
This is a large book and when I read it I thought this will take some time I hope it isn't boring! Boy was I wrong before I know it I am right there with Aleister going through all his exploits and many are the times I said to myself I've done that, I've done that, I been there, what's up? we have so much in common, no wonder I have always been attracted to this man and his work.!!! If you want to know the man then read this book. It's a blast, you won't regret it.
Mustafa Al-Laylah
Having spent an inordinate amout of time with the "Hag" (as AC was fond of calling it) I can say that this ranks as one of Crowley’s more challenging written works. This opinion is bolstered by the fact that prior to the new printing, due out sometime next year, the work had been butchered by Symonds and Grant (hence the rather low rating I give it here).
Derek Davis
Sep 12, 2010 Derek Davis rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people with time and a quiet temperament
OK, I never actually finished this, and the five stars are not, certainly, for honesty or clarity, but simply for the fact that Crowley was one of the greatest stylists of the English language. A son of a bitch, a charlatan, a pervert, perhaps a mystical genius (unlikely), man, could he write.
Robert
A verbose biographic account of Aleister Crowley's extraordinary life. Though remembered for his Black Masses and black magic Crowley was a pioneering mountain climber. I have taken his work with me on two mountain climbs and a jungle trip in 1973 in the Orinoco River Basin.
Craig
uncle Al, that noted satanist. This book is very entertaining. he does pat himself on the back a bit to much. But it is very funny, would have better if edited to take out a lot of the nonsense stuff. But a good read non the less
Barrett  Dylan Brown
I think every so-called Crowley fan or Thelemite or whatever should be forced to read this book from start to finish. It very effectively dispells many memes and confused gossop about Crowley which seems to travel around.
Old-Barbarossa
Huge book and surprisingly little magic(k) in it. The travel stuff is damn good, with his mountain adventures particulary enjoyable. A lot funnier than I thought it would be too.
Becca
May 11, 2007 Becca rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: occultists
even though it's oop, you can't say you know crowley till you've read this. find a copy -- it's worth the price.
Craig Herbertson
Crowley probably stretched the truth a little and misled but he is a fascinating man and well worth reading
Maxime Daher
Reading it for the 5th time. It just gives me a kick...
Jan 31, 2008 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jennifer by: Mook, who was once with the Brotherhood of the
Shelves: autobiographical
What an egomaniac! Interesting read though.
Charles
What a bag of gas.
Eric
Full of fascinating fiction.
sherry
hagiography really.
Derek Baldwin
autohagiofabtastic
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
  • The Eye in the Triangle: An Interpretation of Aleister Crowley
  • The Magick of Aleister Crowley: A Handbook of the Rituals of Thelema
  • Do What Thou Wilt: A Life of Aleister Crowley
  • Perdurabo, Revised and Expanded Edition: The Life of Aleister Crowley
  • A Magick Life: A Biography of Aleister Crowley
  • The History of Magic
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abra-Melin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • Liber Null and Psychonaut: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • Rebels and Devils: The Psychology of Liberation
  • Isis Unveiled
  • The Queen's Conjurer: The Science and Magic of Dr. John Dee, Advisor to Queen Elizabeth I
  • The Mystical Qabalah
  • Austin Osman Spare: The Life and Legend of London’s Lost Artist
  • RuneLore
  • The Key of Solomon the King: Clavicula Salomonis
Aleister Crowley, born Edward Alexander Crowley, was a British occultist, writer, mountaineer, philosopher, poet, and mystic. He was an influential member in several occult organizations, including the Golden Dawn, the A∴A∴, and Ordo Templi Orientis (O.T.O.), and is best known today for his occult writings, especially The Book of the Law, the central sacred text of Thelema. He gained much notoriet ...more
More about Aleister Crowley...
The Book of Lies The Book of the Law Diary of a Drug Fiend 777 and Other Qabalistic Writings The Book of Thoth

“The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal.” 156 likes
“Ordinary morality is only for ordinary people.” 89 likes