Start by marking “The Palace Guard (Kelling & Bittersohn, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Palace Guard (Kelling & Bittersohn, #3)

The Palace Guard (Kelling & Bittersohn #3)

Sarah knows her Kellings family have never returned since an unfortunate incident when Madam Wilkins first opened her palatial Boston museum. But her Beacon Hill lodger Max Bittersohn has free passes to today's concert, and she cannot refuse him. Suddenly, something falls past them from the floor above, and the oldest guard sprawls dead among the hyacinths.
Published June 1st 2003 by iBooks (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Palace Guard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Palace Guard

Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskeyMystic River by Dennis LehaneThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodJohnny Tremain by Esther ForbesConfidential Communications by J.R. Reardon
Boston Books
75th out of 208 books — 210 voters
84, Charing Cross Road by Helene HanffKiller Stuff by Sharon FifferThe Old Curiosity Shop by Charles DickensThe Golden Compass by Philip PullmanAstor Place Vintage by Stephanie Lehmann
Fictional Antiques & Collectibles
10th out of 129 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Francis
A few hours of gentle and amusing sleuthing not unlike watching a late night movie with some stylishly dressed actors, a little witty dialogue and an actress with a flirty wink. Light but entertaining.
Teri-k
This may be my least favorite of the series. I'm not sure why, except I don't think it's fun like the others are. Part of that may be because I find the female minor characters more amusing than the men, and this one focuses much more on Sarah's male relatives. I find a little of them goes a long way, as they're stuffy, self-centered and sometimes priggish. If you're just starting out with this series I wouldn't begin here. :)
Ed
Jul 25, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
#3 in the Sarah Kelling and Max Bittersohn mystery series.

It has only been a few months since Sarah Kelling's elderly husband passed away, and she is struggling to adapt to life as a penniless young widow. To make ends meet, she converts her stately Boston home into a boardinghouse, a decision that brings something even better than money: the company of art-fraud investigator Max Bittersohn. The budding couple is standing on a balcony, recovering from a second-rate concert at a third-rate museum
C.
Feb 13, 2015 C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Palace Guard” entertains us, in Canadian Charlotte MacLeod’s much loved series about a young Boston widow and her relatives. It’s rewarding that we know them well. They make us laugh and are identifiable, thus we are mentally involved with the story. Personal thoughts and sidebar observations are peculiar because they are unabashedly astute. Reading Charlotte frequently generates a state of amusement, along with admiration of wordplay and empathy of her eyebrow-raising scenarios.

Sarah Kelli
Nicole
Jun 17, 2009 Nicole rated it it was ok
Teddi
May 21, 2016 Teddi rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-series
Although this one had its moments, I didn't enjoy it as much as the first two. There was entirely too much I. the way of explanations and too little actually happening. I do like the addition of another eccentric relative.
Beth
Such a lovely series!

Nobody nice dies a horrible death, the Boston setting is spot-on, and the Macleod isn't afraid of using the right word, even if it's not a common one.
Susan in NC
3.5 stars - still a fun, clever, witty mystery; I've reread this author many times over the years and she never fails to charm and amuse me!
Linda Cole
Jan 19, 2015 Linda Cole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mayhem and art

Still caught up in the many adventures of Sarah and max. Will read more romance for all and great ending
Maria
Feb 04, 2013 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, mystery
The antics of the Kellings hit new highs in this third book of the Kelling/Bittersohn saga. The new characters are delightful or horrible, as the case may be, as Max and Sarah continue to investigate crime in Boston. This time I had figured out part of the mystery as far as the perpetrators were concerned, but missed about half the motive. The ending was more than satisfactory. I particularly like the way Sarah picks up deserving and wonderful characters who are down on their luck and makes thei ...more
Cindy
Apr 04, 2011 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I seem to be reading a lot of books about art and this was a welcome addition. The underbelly of the art world is very seedy and I had no idea the amount of money and hayhem that is generated by this industry. Good reading and I had read the "The withdrawing room" first so this was the next in line.
Susan
Dec 09, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
I can’t express how much I enjoy Charlotte MacLeod’s stories. She creates characters that invite you into their quiet life while they hunt for who did it. Her style makes me think of Georgette Heyer’s mysteries and Agatha Christie’s Miss Marple mysteries.
Jan
Aug 12, 2013 Jan rated it liked it
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah! Fun way to spend a Sunday with the 3rd installment of the Sarah Kelling/Max Bittersohn mystery series. Fun characters, a hint of romance, comedy of manners and a pleasant heroine. 12 books in the series - lucky me!
Donna
Feb 12, 2013 Donna rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2013
This third book in the series is another quick read, but is as charming as the rest. One of Sarah's innumerable relatives gets involved with murder and art forgery at a Boston museum. Sarah and Max come to the rescue.
Zuzanne
Jan 05, 2016 Zuzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ich habe ein Buch bei BookCrossing.com registriert!
Michele bookloverforever
another member of sarah's family becomes involved in murder.this time in a boston museum . max and sarah solve the mystery.
Tory Wagner
Sep 13, 2011 Tory Wagner rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Way too campy for me. I assume it was supposed to be a satire on the British cozy mystery??
Marian H.
Sep 04, 2016 Marian H. rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
a fun book. my favorite line, "I shall wear my chute-shooting suit."
Carrie
Apr 26, 2013 Carrie rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, audio, owned
I didn't think this book was as good as the first in the series.
Apr 17, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The palace guard by Charlotte MacLeod (1981)
TJ
Muldj01
Muldj01 rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2016
Dogsandbooks
Dogsandbooks is currently reading it
Sep 24, 2016
fergi
fergi added it
Sep 21, 2016
Moonlight
Moonlight rated it it was ok
Sep 25, 2016
Vicki
Vicki rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Doreen
Doreen added it
Sep 14, 2016
Melinda
Melinda rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2016
sandy patty
sandy patty rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2016
  • The Wrong Rite
  • A Great Day for the Deadly (Gregor Demarkian, #5)
  • Murder in the Red Room (Eleanor Roosevelt, #10)
  • The Affair of the Mutilated Mink (Burford Family Mysteries, #2)
  • Sonnet of the Sphinx (Poetic Death Mystery, #3)
  • Revenge of the Wrought-Iron Flamingos (Meg Langslow, #3)
  • Death on a Silver Tray (Beau Brummell, #1)
  • How to Murder Your Mother-In-Law (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #5)
  • Corpse on the Cob (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #5)
  • It's a Mod, Mod, Mod, Mod Murder (Murder a-Go-Go, #1)
  • Die for Love (Jacqueline Kirby, #3)
Naturalized US Citizen

Also wrote as Alisa Craig

Charlotte MacLeod, born in New Brunswick, Canada, and a naturalized U.S. citizen, was the multi-award-winning author of over thirty acclaimed novels. Her series featuring detective Professor Peter Shandy, America's homegrown Hercule Poirot, delivers "generous dollops of...warmth, wit, and whimsy" (San Francisco Sunday Examiner and Chronicle). But full
More about Charlotte MacLeod...

Kelling & Bittersohn (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Family Vault (Kelling & Bittersohn, #1)
  • The Withdrawing Room (Kelling & Bittersohn, #2)
  • The Bilbao Looking Glass (Kelling & Bittersohn, #4)
  • The Convivial Codfish (Kelling & Bittersohn, #5)
  • The Plain Old Man (Kelling & Bittersohn, #6)
  • The Recycled Citizen (Kelling & Bittersohn, #7)
  • The Silver Ghost (Kelling & Bittersohn, #8)
  • The Gladstone Bag (Kelling & Bittersohn, #9)
  • The Resurrection Man (Kelling & Bittersohn, #10)
  • The Odd Job (Kelling & Bittersohn, #11)