3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Written for parents, students, college counselors, and administrators, "College of the Overwhelmed" is a landmark book that explores the stressors that cause so many college students to suffer psychological problems.The book is filled with insights and stories about the current mental health crisis on our nation's campuses and offers: A hands-on guide for helping students...more
Published August 1st 2005 by Jossey-Bass

To ask other readers questions about College of the Overwhelmed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about College of the Overwhelmed

Hannah
The book covered general problems that some college students have. I haven't learned anything new, but that's probably because I'm a 4th year psych student. In my own opinion, the book vaguely describes why college students are overwhelmed, but I expected more than what was given. I expected more scientific studies to be cited, and less of a general overview. Instead, the authors talked about basic symptoms of mental disorders.

The book honestly sounds like someone at a tablesit or orientation is...more
Jana
An excellent book to describe the many mental health issues faced by today's college students. It's written to be very accessible, even to those without a lot of prior knowledge of mental health issues. I'd recommend it for anyone who works with college students, and even parents concerned about their students.
Susie
Mr. Kadison presents research in a conversational manner, making this book a recommended read for educators, parents, and students alike. There is a chapter for parents and a chapter for students at the end of the book addressing each group uniquely.
Peggy
Used it for a research paper...hard to just read cover-to-cover but has much useful information for those interested in counseling, and college students specifically.
Kristin
Such an important issue. I was trying to become educated! Recommended at a Big 10 Conference for leaders in higher administration.
Norris
Jul 27, 2012 Norris added it
An astute and relatable book for college-aged students.
Lauren
Read this one for work... and it was only ok.
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Kara Morgan
Kara Morgan marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Kellyschiff
Kellyschiff marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Melissa Boles
Melissa Boles marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Samsah Prepsy
Samsah Prepsy marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Lesley
Lesley added it
Jul 20, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Heidi
Heidi is currently reading it
Mar 24, 2014
Matthew S. Zielinski
Matthew S. Zielinski marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Katie Susanne
Katie Susanne marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Becca Obergefell
Becca Obergefell is currently reading it
Mar 12, 2014
Merri Su
Merri Su marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
College of the Overwhelmed: The Campus Mental Health Crisis and What to Do about It Facing Bipolar: The Young Adult's Guide to Dealing with Bipolar Disorder