Start by marking “College of the Overwhelmed: The Campus Mental Health Crisis and What to Do about It” as Want to Read:

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Written for parents, students, college counselors, and administrators, "College of the Overwhelmed" is a landmark book that explores the stressors that cause so many college students to suffer psychological problems.The book is filled with insights and stories about the current mental health crisis on our nation's campuses and offers: A hands-on guide for helping students ...more
Published August 1st 2005 by Jossey-Bass

To ask other readers questions about College of the Overwhelmed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about College of the Overwhelmed

Hannah
The book covered general problems that some college students have. I haven't learned anything new, but that's probably because I'm a 4th year psych student. In my own opinion, the book vaguely describes why college students are overwhelmed, but I expected more than what was given. I expected more scientific studies to be cited, and less of a general overview. Instead, the authors talked about basic symptoms of mental disorders.

The book honestly sounds like someone at a tablesit or orientation is
Jana
An excellent book to describe the many mental health issues faced by today's college students. It's written to be very accessible, even to those without a lot of prior knowledge of mental health issues. I'd recommend it for anyone who works with college students, and even parents concerned about their students.
Susie
Mr. Kadison presents research in a conversational manner, making this book a recommended read for educators, parents, and students alike. There is a chapter for parents and a chapter for students at the end of the book addressing each group uniquely.
Peggy
Used it for a research paper...hard to just read cover-to-cover but has much useful information for those interested in counseling, and college students specifically.
Kristin
Such an important issue. I was trying to become educated! Recommended at a Big 10 Conference for leaders in higher administration.
Norris
Jul 27, 2012 Norris added it
An astute and relatable book for college-aged students.
Lauren
Read this one for work... and it was only ok.
Santiago Castiello
Santiago Castiello marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Juliana
Juliana marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Ray Sclafani
Ray Sclafani marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Miki
Miki marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
K
K added it
Jun 24, 2015
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Writeon
Writeon marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Carlos
Carlos marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Alison
Alison added it
Feb 27, 2015
Minnu
Minnu marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Kateryna Barnes
Kateryna Barnes marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
College of the Overwhelmed: The Campus Mental Health Crisis and What to Do about It Facing Bipolar: The Young Adult's Guide to Dealing with Bipolar Disorder