Start by marking “Weetamoo: Heart of the Pocassets, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, 1653” as Want to Read:
Weetamoo: Heart of the Pocassets, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, 1653

Weetamoo: Heart of the Pocassets, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, 1653 (The Royal Diaries)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  1,399 ratings  ·  37 reviews
It is 1654 in New England, native land of Algonquin tribes, among them the Pocasset, Wampanoag, and Narrangansett people. The pilgrims -- called Coat-men by the Wampanoag -- have settled here in the natives' territory at Patuxit, a place that the Pilgrims have renamed Plymouth. Weetamoo's father, Corbitant, is sachem, or chief, of the Pocassets. He is mistrustful of the co ...more
Published August 27th 2001 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Weetamoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weetamoo

Cleopatra VII by Kristiana GregoryMarie Antoinette by Kathryn LaskyAnastasia by Carolyn MeyerElizabeth I by Kathryn LaskyEleanor by Kristiana Gregory
The Royal Diaries
19th out of 21 books — 235 voters
Marie Antoinette by Kathryn LaskyCleopatra VII by Kristiana GregoryAnastasia by Carolyn MeyerElizabeth I by Kathryn LaskyVoyage on the Great Titanic by Ellen Emerson White
Our favorite diary books
34th out of 175 books — 113 voters

More lists with this book...

Andrea Hussey
Carrie Slager
Meh. That’s all I really have to say about Weetamoo: Heart of the Pocassets. This should have been a really interesting book because so far it’s the only one I’ve read where the narrator in reality would not actually have been able to read or write. Okay, fair enough; Native Americans have a great oral storytelling tradition and I’d never heard of Weetamoo before.

But there wasn’t anything really great about this book. I learned a lot about Native Americans in early-contact days with settlers, es
Hannah
My childhood!! *heartbreak*
Olivia
I'm impressed.

The Royal Diaries series captures the human emotion and struggle in compelling stories about young women that are strongwilled, brave, and with large responsibilities and duties.

Before starting this book I honestly had the expectation of being bored and not being able to finish it, despite my personal affection to anything native american.

Previously the only books by the Royal Diaries series I had read (Eleanor, Elisabeth, Kristina, Marie Antoinette) were based in Europe, whose hi
Ana Mardoll
Weetamoo, Heart of the Pocassets / 0-439-12910-9

It's incredibly refreshing, after so many Royal Diaries, to be treated to a view of a culture that sees nothing unusual about a female ruler. It is further refreshing to catch glimpses of a culture that strongly values instilling virtue and wisdom in their young future rulers, as well as a strong respect for the land and animals whose survival they depend upon.

Although Weetamoo is caught between a world of change as the European immigrants continue
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Maria
Cover Story: Fanta-stick
BFF Charm: Yay
Swoonworthy Scale: 4
Talky Talk: Picture Book
Bonus Factor: Visions and Dreams
Relationship Status: Childhood Friends

Read the full book report here.
Rebecca
Fourteen-year-old Weetamoo is the oldest daughter of Corbitant, sachem to the Pocasset band of the Wampanoag Nation. Even though she is a girl, Weetamoo is the one who will inherit her father's position someday. But it's 1653, and her tribe's home in what is now Massachusetts and Rhode Island is changing forever. The settlements of the English "Coat-men" are expanding onto the Pocassets' territory, and Weetamoo wonders what will be left once she becomes her people's leader. Over nearly a year, W ...more
Sarah Greene
I am never dissatisfied with the Royal Diaries series. While my favorites are Elizabeth I, Marie Antoinette, and Isabel of Castilla, Weetamoo gave me a glimpse into the lives of a Native American tribe. I loved this book; read it in one day, in fact. As I read, I thought back to my readings in Sherman Alexie's work. He has a serious problem with whites thinking they know everything about Indians, with white authors writing books about Indian life and culture. It made me think what he'd say about ...more
Hope Braddock
This made me cry. The first book to do so.
Kathy
Jul 22, 2009 Kathy added it
Shelves: summer-ir-09
this book is really nice... this book is a bout a girl named weetamoo that lives in Massachusetts in the year 1653/

she is a young 14 year old inidian girl who loves to have fun. though when the pilgrims come to steal her father's territory she finds a way to be a true leader like her dad was once.

weetamoo figures out to be a leader you need honesty to be wise dont panic at all. on a long journey weetamoo learns how to be a true leader.
Katie
Dec 14, 2014 Katie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
I like historical fiction, and I enjoy this series, this book was no exception. Kind of a nice pre-Thanksgiving read.
greenplanet
great book and i loved Weetamoo. the story was awesome, but in the end, the author just HAS to tell you that a few years after the story took place, Weetamoo's tribe in real life was attacked and they tried to escape using the river, but she fell off or something and the soldiers found her, cut off her head, and placed it on a pole for show. yeah, i didn't read another one of these books after that.
Carly
Nicely done imagining of a period of North American history that just doesn't make it into school textbooks. The glossary of terms/names/characters and the epilogue all did a great job of emphasizing oral culture, Algonquin language families, male, Euro-centric accounts of history, and the author's personal tie to the story.
Meadow
A young Indian princess strives to be the princess her father wants her to be. When they find a village of white men come to their land. Weetamoo starts having dreams of the white men driving them off there land.

These books are all so amazing. Weetamoo is about an Indian living in Massachusetts in 1653.
Shannon Renee
I hate to say it, but this book bored me quite a bit. While I loved that they used an American Indian in this series, I think they picked the one with the least information on. I didn't fell all of the book was genuine, and it was a bit of a disappointment for me.
Cara
I was not interested in this book at all. Fist off, I've never heard of the woman before. I live in Massachusetts, but never heard of her. It makes me wonder why Sacajawea or Pocahontas aren't written about but Weetamoo was. Doesn't make much sense to me.
Ari
Read this years ago. My first foray into Native American royalty, naturally it was very different from my pre-conceived notions of royalty (based on European Royal Diaries books). I don't remember much else except that it has a historical, sad ending.
I find historical fiction very interesting and I enjoy reading them. I would recommend this book for those with an interest in history or even without. I didn't really like it before but now I find it extremely fascinating. Very good, try them.
Patrice
History in this time period fixates on Pocahontas, but Weetamoo is much more extraordinary historical figure. Examining what her youth may have been like before she became one of the important eastern coast tribal chiefs was amazing.
Drucilla
It's always interesting to hear about a different culture. This part in history tends to be passed over very quickly. I guess because there is a limited amount of time in school and other things are seen as more important.
Korrin
Learn about the Native American tribe of the Pocassets, one of many tribes who were residents living near the English in the 1650s. Much information of Native American traditions and beleifs!
Molly
I absolutely love the entire Royal Diaries series. They are all incredibly brilliant. MY favorite are Jahanara, Eleanor and Lady of Ch'iao Kuo. They're a great way to learn history.
Erika
I loved the Royal Diaries back when I was in middle school. They are all wonderful reads and I suggest them all to everyone. Happy Reading!!
Jessica Letchford
This was my first Royal Diaries book, and although there was some spirituality in there, it was still a good book with a great storyline!
Nikoline
I learned about the nativeamericans and what they thought when the england perple came to america
Marley
I loved this book and learned so much from it, I cant wait to read more of the Royal Diaries.
Kimei
I'll be honest, so boring I don't think I actually ever finished this one.
Rachel (Sfogs)
Good story but it was sad reading the little info bit at the end!
Cat
This also fits in pretty nicely with what we are studying in school.
Ellie
It started out really well, but then took a nosedive.
Weetamoo in the story 3 13 Sep 28, 2013 09:15PM
  • Lady of Palenque : Flower of Bacal, Mesoamerica, A.D. 749
  • Anacaona: Golden Flower, Haiti, 1490
  • Kazunomiya: Prisoner of Heaven, Japan, 1858
  • Nzingha: Warrior Queen of Matamba, Angola, Africa, 1595 (Royal Diaries #6)
  • Sondok: Princess of the Moon and Stars, Korea, A.D. 595
  • Catherine: The Great Journey, Russia, 1743
  • Kristina: The Girl King, Sweden, 1638
  • Lady of Ch'iao Kuo: Red Bird of the South, Southern China, A.D. 531 (Royal Diaries #8)
  • Elisabeth: The Princess Bride, Austria - Hungary, 1853
  • Kaiulani: The People's Princess, Hawaii, 1889 (Royal Diaries #7)
  • All the Stars in the Sky: The Santa Fe Trail Diary of Florrie Mack Ryder (Dear America)
  • The Girl Who Chased Away Sorrow: The Diary of Sarah Nita, a Navajo Girl (Dear America)
  • Valley of the Moon: The Diary of María Rosalía de Milagros, Sonoma Valley, Alta Valley, California, 1846, (Dear America)

The Royal Diaries (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Elizabeth I: Red Rose of the House of Tudor, England, 1544 (Royal Diaries #1)
  • Cleopatra VII: Daughter of the Nile - 57 B.C. (Royal Diaries #2)
  • Isabel: Jewel of Castilla, Spain, 1466 (Royal Diaries #3)
  • Marie Antoinette: Princess of Versailles, Austria - France, 1769 (Royal Diaries #4)
  • Anastasia: The Last Grand Duchess, Russia, 1914 (Royal Diaries #5)
  • Nzingha: Warrior Queen of Matamba, Angola, Africa, 1595 (Royal Diaries #6)
  • Kaiulani: The People's Princess, Hawaii, 1889 (Royal Diaries #7)
  • Victoria: May Blossom of Britannia, England, 1829
  • Mary, Queen of Scots: Queen Without a Country, France, 1553
The Strawberry Promise The Garden Party The Secret of Baiting Hollow Baiting Hollow:  A Time of Enchantment Changing Your Story

“Metacom is a thoughtful, brave person. But somehow he does not cause me to feel both shy and alive the way Wamsutta does. I can see the way Wootonekanuske looks at Metacom with such admiration, and I think it is no accident that he always wears the woven belt she gave him. Metacom could never be my husband. But maybe he will indeed be my brother-in-law someday. I would be very glad of that. Wootonekanuske and Metacom are very young, but I think they already know each other's hearts. And I think I know mine.” 0 likes
“I met Wamsutta downstream from Peskeompskut. Well, to tell the truth, I did not exactly meet him. I more or less followed him.
"What are you looking for, little Pocasset girl?" he said, turning around to meet me.
I said that I was certainly not looking for anything he could give me, but I think he knew right away that I did not mean that. He reached out and touched my cheek very gently.
"Nothing? Are you sure of that?" he asked. I scarcely know how it happened, but suddenly we were in each other's arms.
Once he was holding me close, it seemed as if my tongue would not stop talking. When I told him about my baby sister's death, he wiped my tears away. I spoke about the Forming Child we expect in the Harvest Moon. He said he was very happy for our family. Somehow, I went on to tell him that I thought he was a very careless and boastful person. By then I was laughing and crying at the same time. He just kept looking down and grinning at me, finally I said that supposed I loved him.”
0 likes