Start by marking “Tourist Season: Stories” as Want to Read:
Tourist Season: Stories

Tourist Season: Stories

Published March 27th 2007 by Random House Trade Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Tourist Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tourist Season

Jenno
Nov 11, 2007 Jenno rated it really liked it
This is book is overall good- like any collection of stories, there are some that are 'artistic' but lack a point. But the good ones are really really good. The book opens with one of the best, "Chosen" where a Jewish suburbaitte woman discovers she is a Buddhist saint. I also loved 'Laws of Nature' and 'Fill in the Blank'. You'll have to read it to find out what they are about. :)
Christina
Jan 30, 2011 Christina rated it did not like it
Not sure about this one. I may finish reading it, but it's not catching my attention. I feel like the author is trying too hard to be interesting.
Yona McDonough
Sep 22, 2014 Yona McDonough rated it it was amazing
I had read this book once before and found the stories so haunting I had to read it again, so I did that this weekend. Shomer is a brilliant story writer and I am surprised she does not have a wider reputation. She writes about key transitions in women's lives with such insight and grace. My two favorites are "Rapture" and "Laws of Nature." Both push the envelope of plausibility, yet both are credible in their own, slightly surreal terms.
Amber Cooney
Jan 22, 2012 Amber Cooney rated it liked it
I feel like Tourist Season was written as a beach read. Nothing serious, nothing profound, some odd moments...just a collection of short stories to read for entertainment value. You're bound to love at least one story, but some of them are bound to leave you questioning what you just read (incest, love affairs between high schoolers and retired police officers). I thought that the order and placement of the stories were fantastic: you are taken on a roller coaster of emotions, with the most seri ...more
Kent Miller
May 29, 2016 Kent Miller marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

In Tourist Season, award-winning author Enid Shomer offers ten brilliant, richly detailed unforgettable stories of resilient women, aged seventeen to seventy, each at a pivotal point in her life. Their journeys cross distances of place and mind: A middle-aged Floridian who learns that she is the reincarnation of a Buddhist saint takes daring steps on her path to enlightenment; a long-buried secret forces one woman to leave the daughter she deeply loves; a Radcliffe student faces shocking family

Jan 10, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
This book reminded me why I don't like short stories. After reading the first one, I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue. There were a few good ones and after discussing it with the book group, I think I came to appreciate them a little more. Though, I still found myself wanting more from each of the stories.
Jocelyn Kelly
Feb 04, 2008 Jocelyn Kelly rated it really liked it
It’s a collection about tourists, but uses the meaning in the broadest sense. All the stories are about women in various stages of their lives where they become tourists in their own lives. Some are more of a stretch than others to fit into this theme, but overall it works.

Shomer has range and depth in her collection. “Fill In The Blank” was a story told on two levels, and even though I didn’t really like the protagonist Garland, I like how the story unfolded. What I disliked the most about th
Catherine
Aug 26, 2016 Catherine rated it liked it
When I finished this collection and tried to organize my thoughts, I initially focused on the lack of cultural diversity represented in these stories. You get the feeling throughout that these are white women of a certain socioeconomic status who are generally accepted/respected in society. Not that they're all extremely wealthy or well-known, but they don't seem to have many real struggles or problems (except maybe some "first world problems"). I'm still giving this 3 stars because I enjoyed th ...more
Nancy
Jul 20, 2016 Nancy rated it really liked it
Such intriguing short stories by an author with some FSU connections - apparently she was once a member of the English faculty. There's a definite Florida tinge to many of them. These stories are little sketches of women, deftly outlined, almost plotless - just moments in time from pretty desperate lives. Well-written, a bit depressing - a quick and easy read.
Cj Byrns
Uneven

Some stories seemed more thoughtful and adhesive than others. All in all it was a pleasant reading experience. Nothing earth shattering, although a couple of the stories seemed to end rather abruptly and required the reader to supply the resolution.
Mama K
Jul 28, 2016 Mama K rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh. Couple of the stories were pretty. LOVED the title story. But I'm an old woman, and I'm not a huge fan of the sparse narrative that leaves too much unanswered. Easy read though.
Daina Jaeger Mundt
Aug 23, 2016 Daina Jaeger Mundt rated it did not like it
I didn't care for this book at all. I found the characters underdeveloped and the stories uninteresting and at times simply silly.
Danielle
Jul 01, 2016 Danielle rated it it was ok
I tried to like it, but I couldn't get through most of these and I can read almost any short story. Just not for me.
Rj
Jun 30, 2016 Rj rated it really liked it
Very nice collection of stories-- original and well written.
Valdez
Jul 10, 2016 Valdez rated it liked it
Ten short stories about women at different places in their lives.
Tracy
Jan 03, 2008 Tracy rated it it was ok
Not that great of a book. I liked the story entitled Rapture but most of the stories had no plot or general point. It is probably a love it or hate it type book.
Jill
Jan 01, 2015 Jill rated it it was ok
Shelves: bookclub
Okay, so far some of these stories are odd. However, they are way better than the last book of short stories I read!
Lisa Temple
May 27, 2009 Lisa Temple rated it liked it
Short stories about ten different women of varying ages who are all at turning points in their lives.
Megan
Jan 18, 2008 Megan rated it it was ok
If you're a fan of short stories, this is a great read...I prefer getting to know my characters...
Cheryl
Aug 21, 2012 Cheryl rated it liked it
The author is good at making each character very different from the next.
Reeshard
Apr 18, 2009 Reeshard rated it it was amazing
marvelously wrought details, magically transformed into life and truth.
Terese Svoboda
Nov 12, 2008 Terese Svoboda rated it it was amazing
very competent stories by a good poet--relationshippy and in South Florida.
Pam
Aug 02, 2008 Pam marked it as to-read
Shelves: short-stories
08/01/08 rec via pbs
Susan Quo
Susan Quo rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Stacey Mackenna
Stacey Mackenna marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Carole Norwood
Carole Norwood rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2016
  • Trailerpark
  • Shakespeare's Kitchen
  • Waltzing the Cat
  • Sugar and Other Stories
Enid Shomer is an award-winning American poet and fiction writer. She is author of six poetry collections and two short story collections largely set in, influenced by, and life in the State of Florida.
More about Enid Shomer...