Start by marking “Speak of the Devil: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Speak of the Devil: A Novel

Speak of the Devil: A Novel (Fritz Malone #1)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  37 reviews
"From first line to last, Speak of the Devil moves with a rare combination of intrigue and intensity.Its engine runs onhigh octane adrenalin. Richard Hawke delivers a winner."
--Michael Connelly

It’s a beautiful Thanksgiving morning in New York City. Perfect day for a parade, and Fritz Malone just happens to have drifted up Central Park West to take a look at the floats. Acr
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published January 10th 2006 by Random House Audio

To ask other readers questions about Speak of the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speak of the Devil

Bookmarks Magazine

At once a serial-killer and political thriller as well as a portrait of a city, Speak of the Devil excited some critics while disappointing others. Richard Hawke, the pseudonym for mystery writer Tim Cockey, has penned a smart, entertaining whodunit__but how each element fit together raised some questions. Malone, a man with a troubled past and a vanished former-police-commissioner father, offers a good character study. But reviewers disagreed about how well Hawke captured the city's pulse, from

lynne naranek
I consumed this book in less than a day.

It's one of the few this year that hooked me in pretty much from the first few pages, and kept going pretty much throughout. Sure, by the time we're 80% thru the book I was growling "enough already, let's get to the bad guy already", red herrings and dead ends piling up along the way. But it was still really really good.

And this is a debut novel?? Amazing.

The plot you can get off the dust jacket, so I won't bother.

The main character and his girlfriend have
This first novel by Richard Hawke was entertaining and compelling enough that I finished it one setting.

The story revolves around the illegitimate son of a former NYC Police Chief who stumbles upon a shooting at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. The shooter is killed but the actual mastermind is determined to be someone blackmailing the Mayor and the City for mucho dinero. In order to avoid a panic, the Mayor and current Police Chief enlist our hero in secretly finding the blackmailer.

It was g
Roz Curney-Sherod
Nov 20, 2015 Roz Curney-Sherod rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: To Fans of old gum shoe type movies
I was searching for some new holiday books to read this year. I have lots of audio and eBooks for Christmas but very few for Thanksgiving. So when this came up in Audible I jumped all over it. I like Thrillers/Mysteries/Cozy especially ones with a holiday theme. Unfortunately, this is the second Thanksgiving themed story I've read where the crime takes place at a parade. I enjoyed the plot of this book it had a lot of action and lots of twists and turns! I figured out who the killer was half-way ...more
#1 in the Fritz Malone series. Author Richard Hawke is the pseudonym of Tim Cockey, author of the Baltimore mortician Hitchcock Sewell series.

Fritz Malone, PI and bastard son of former NYC Police Commissioner, chases down a shooter at the Thanksgiving parade. He is taken into custody and then finds that a cop from a suspect precinct in Brooklyn is being given credit for the collar. The shooting was only the first act of an extortion plot and the Mayor and Police Commissioner want Fritz to find t
We had previously read all five of Tim Cockey’s light mystery series about mortician Hitchcock Sewell, and for sure enjoyed the author’s sense of humor. So we thought we’d try this first novel in the Fritz Malone set, for which the author switched to the pseudonym Richard Hawke. Fritz is a private eye, son of a former police commissioner, and thus well known in the law enforcement community. While viewing a Thanksgiving day parade that goes awry with shootings and other mayhem, Fritz gets involv ...more
Kevin Kazokas
A New York City detective at odds with the cops. An unpredictable villain playing havoc with both sides. A simmering backdrop of police and political conspiracy and cops gone rogue. All the cliche elements of the typical New York City crime novel, right? Even the villain's calculated threats pose the familiar gauntlet of cops and the lead character scrambling to meet demands and sort through the villain's madness before his next diabolical strike. This all seems tried, true and tiring, right?

Fritz Malone, a private investigator and bastard son of a former police chief decides to go out for bagels on a beautiful Thanksgiving morning. He lingers to watch the parade and suddenly sees a gunman taking aim on the princess on a float. Fritz throws the bagels at the princess , saving her life and takes after the gunman. Both Fritz and the gunman are apprehended by the police and instead of being driven to the local precinct are driven to a building near police headquarters.

Fritz learns that
SPEAK OF THE DEVIL (Private Investigator-NYC-Cont) – G+
Hawke, Richard – 1st book
Random House, 2005-US Hardcover – ISBN: 1400064252
First Sentence: If she had known she would be dead in another five minutes, maybe she wouldn’t have swatted her son so hard.
*** PI Fritz Malone went out to buy bagels and has stopped to watch in balloons in the New York City Thanksgiving Day Parade. He didn’t expect to see a gunman take aim at the Mayor’s actress girlfriend and start killing people in the crowd. Fritz
My favorite kind of book. There was good intelligent writing plus some intrigue. A very good read. We have P.I. Fritz Malone the bastard son of a former police commissioner along with Jigs Dugan his shady friend and as always the beautiful girlfriend this time named Margo. All we need is a cat or dog. Throw in some self-righteous politicians and I'm a fan for life...The place, New York City. Malone goes out for bagels and stops for a parade. He sees the man on the low wall with a gun. Shots ring ...more
Kevin Bresnahan
This was an fantastic novel, and it could be upped in that it was a debut novel from Richard Hawke. Fritz Malone, a former NYC cop now a private investigator, is put in the middle of a massacre during the Thanksgiving Day parade. An innocent spectator at first, he springs into action and captures the sniper. Oh, but that's only the beginning. As he uncovers a vast conspiracy and web of deceit and destruction, he is in pursuit of a serial killer, dubbed the "nightmare". This book had everything I ...more
I enjoyed this book, but thought the ending could have been done a little differently. It felt like he was rushing to get it done and I didn't really understand what happened. I reread the last couple of pages and I still had questions.

It is hard-boiled and I like that kind of book as it keeps you wondering who the good guys really are. This is #1 in the Fritz Malone series. In a way it reminded me of the Spenser novels. I love Spenser and Hawk. I will read the next one if and when I can find i
Fans of P.I. stories will love Richard Hawke's first Fritz Malone novel. All of the familiar tropes are hit upon brilliantly: the wise-cracking P.I., the understanding and loving girlfriend, the love-hate relationship with the police, and a case that becomes far more complicated than it originally appears. If you like Raymond Chandler or Robert Parker, you'll love SPEAK OF THE DEVIL.
This story begins with a shooting at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and ends with a web of deception perpetrated by a host of people. Add in mysterious nuns, a slippery Mayor, gangsters, and dirty cops and you have the makings of an A-1 modern thriller. The protagonist is a gum shoe private eye (bringing to mind a dashing younger Humphrey Bogart) with a load of baggage in his past and a bright future. I see this being an engaging series.
This was a great listen. Again, Paul Michael the reader, was terrific. If I read this book i'd give it a 3. but the listening aspect adds a lot. He read it like an old Raymond Chandler flick.
Mystery and political thriller set in NYC. Starts with a mass shooting at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and takes off from there, with lots of plot twists and turns involving a private eye, the police commissioner, and the Mayor of NYC. Enjoyable, fairly conventional for its genre, and a quick read. Nothing ground-breaking, but not bad either.
Ann Littlewood
It's hard to make a fresh plot about mass murderer on the loose, but Richard Hawke has managed. The smart-ass private eye is convincing, funny, and smart without the eye-roll of super powers. Minor characters are vivid and the plot lopes along briskly. The twist at the end is a stretch, but the journey was good enough for me to swallow it.
09/04/05 #156
Rating: 3.5/C+
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Thriller, 2006, 325 pgs
COMMENTS: ARC received at Bouchercon. Thriller set
in NYC, action starts at Thanksgiving parade.
Police corruption, yada, yada. Nothing really
unique but nothing really awful either.
I really enjoyed Mr. Hawke's writing style. He reminds me of Robert Crais -- sarcastic, witty, yet enough action to keep it interesting. He wrote another series of books (Hitchcock Sewell was the protagonist) under the name Tim Cockey. Those were enjoyable, too.
Enjoyable detective story. I liked this author's other books (written under what I presume is his real name) and this one is an interesting change in characters but not voice, which is good, because I like the humor with which he writes his detective stories.
A great read. It is an inense mystery that follows a PI working with the police who knows he's not being told the whole story by anyone.

I picked it up because Charlaine Harris recommended it. Otherwise I might never have noticed it.
I've been away from the detective novel for too long. I try to stay faithful to Archie Goodwin, but ah Fritz Malone, he could sway me. Step aside Spencer; this guy's just as smart and doesn't wear it on his sleeve.
Good Boston PI tale.
Son of police commissioner, stops killing of mayor's girlfriend at parade. Chases shooter, captures the shooter, gets caught by police and finds shooter is killed by police.
Catherine  Mustread
Jul 01, 2009 Catherine Mustread marked it as to-read-after  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Catherine by: SA 012006
SA: "The prose, and the plot, are just what you want in thriller, and there are enough hints about Malone's past that give you hope that this is the beginning of a series.--Marilyn Dahl"
A very good story. Very well-written and exciting. Left me totally wanting more. I will be starting the second one soon. I really like the character Fritz Malone, he was so believable.
Very Good! I enjoyed this very much although I really miss the character (Hitchcock Sewell) from his other books that he wrote under the name Tim Cockey.
Oct 20, 2012 Michelle rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Spencer for Hire books.
Read this for book club. Not bad. Doesn't read like the first book in a series. There's alot of 'hints' of other stories. I guess the author has more planned.
Tim Warner
this is a great first book. I will read further by Richard Hawke. He is reminiscent of Lawrence Block with the edge of humor. It's a good read.
Well written.This may be telling a bit to much about myself but I did not see the ending coming. Can not wait to read his next book.
Enjoyed it. Easy reading. I enjoyed the relationship between Fritz and his girlfriend Margo. Good twists in the plot.
  • Redemption Street (Moe Prager, #2)
  • Two Time
  • A Cure for Night
  • On the Avenue (The Celebutantes, #1)
  • The Thanksgiving Day Murder (Christine Bennett, #6)
  • Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop
  • Zabójca mimo woli (Каменская, #4)
  • A Field of Darkness (Madeline Dare, #1)
  • Black Maps (John March, #1)
  • Feast of Murder (Gregor Demarkian, #6)
  • That Day the Rabbi Left Town
  • Thanksgiving
  • Sins Out Of School (Dorothy Martin, #8)
  • A Trap for Fools (A Kate Fansler Mystery #9)
  • Dead Hot Shot (A Loon Lake Mystery, #9)
  • The Beverly Malibu (Kate Delafield, #3)
  • The Raven and the Nightingale (A Karen Pelletier Mystery #3)
  • The Lost Van Gogh