Start by marking “Face Forward” as Want to Read:
Face Forward

Face Forward

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  1,040 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Face Forward is an inspirational and how-to guide to make-up from one of the most sought after and successful make-up artists working today.
Published October 25th 2001 by Little, Brown and Company (first published October 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Face Forward, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Face Forward

Phyllis
I keep this on the shelf as more of a crazy-ass coffee table book than a makeup advice book. There is a hilariously misguided picture of Tori Amos disguised as an American Indian that Kevyn Aucoin insists is cool because her great-great-grandmother was a Cherokee Princess or something. Oh, OK. Gena Rowlands as Madame Butterfly is pretty clueless and horrifying as well. In spite of the weird racial misfires there are some amazing conceptual looks in this book and it is worth the price of admissio ...more
Mimi
I don't know how many times I have stared at this cover trying to see how they managed to meld the two faces... and yes, they are two faces not just one face made up in two ways. Not that I would put it past Kevyn Aucoin to be able to do it. I guess that's why I always spend time staring before I can look inside.

Kevyn was an amazing make-up artist. Whether you're talking about everyday beauty or stage and screen he's the expert. He also focuses on inner beauty - stresses it, actually - believin
Heather Key
I love this book for the knowledge it gives on how to apply make up to get the best results. Must have for those who don't want to waste their money on tons of products they may not need or want.
Lynnette
Kevyn Aucoin was probably the best makeup artist ever. I am a makeup artist and many of my technics I learned from him. Made a lot of money doing it too. Most amazing. I have read it many times. Can't get enough.
Ruth
Jun 30, 2008 Ruth rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All the fashion and makeup fans out there
Okay, I admit it...I like books about style, fashion, makeup...I'm a girlie girl! This is a fun book, and the 2nd Kevyn Aucoin book I purchased just to have a good time seeing his amazing makeup transformations. This book (like his first similar book) has great photos of many faces, some familiar celebrities, and in some cases these have been 'transformed' by makeup magic to look like some of the famous stars of the 30s and 40s. Pretty uncanny! Very fun fluff. Some tips and how-tos are in the bo ...more
Julie Pierce
Awesome book. very fun to read as it teaches you more about make up and looks that would go beyond the average day wear. very entertaining read :)
ReginaFalange
So informative great book of the late most talented makeup artist!
Kristin
I enjoyed Face Forward more than Making Faces. There are a lot of great images that show what makeup can really do to change a person's appearance, my favorite example in the book was Gwyneth Paltrow made to look like James Dean. As far as being an actual tutorial book, I think Face Forward is great for teaching concepts like why certain colors work in certain situations but it isn't quite as good with the step by step "how to recreate a look" teaching style.
Maureen Barnes
Fantastic how to 's and character make-up
Beth
Anyone who has met me knows that I am SO not a glamour girl, not really into make-up beyond the basics. But in spite of that, I absolutely ADORE Kevyn Aucoin's books. They are completely addictive and irresistible. I keep them next to the tub so I can read them in the bath. Even my husband loves them. Kevyn was an amazing artist who, despite his short life, made a lasting impression on the world of fashion and beauty.
Vanessa
Useless. I don't need to be proven how makeup can ultimately transform people since this is common sense. But you also can't forget that these photographs are obviously photo-shopped. Indeed, Aucoin is considered as THE ARTIST and I do give him credit, but frankly Face Forward is overrated only because of the name that's associated with it.
yoli
I found his first book MAKING FACES more informative from a makeup perspective. This was more of a philosophical tract/memoir/gallery of beloved people. However, by including at least two shots of each "model", we are really able to see the impact of makeup on the face in terms of specific products and techniques.
Heidi
Hilarious book on makeup I happened upon when looking up interesting faces for the characters in my novel. The second half, it turns out, is devoted to actresses made up tor resemble actors from the past. My favorites? Martha Stewart as Veronica Lake and Gwyneth Paltrow as James Dean.
Shelley
This is definitely more of a coffee table book but one of the layouts has remained in my mind since I first picked it up back in the '90's. The pictures of Tori Amos representing both sides of her heritage (Mary Queen of Scots and a Native American princess) were images I never forgot.
Norak Kamis
Kevyn Aucoin is a magic man, he could transform you into someone you won't even recognise. It features alot of celebrities like Madonna, Sharon Stone, Julia Roberts and you would be so amazed at how beautiful every each page is. Its a must have to add into your collection.
Light
May 21, 2008 Light is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am hearing mixed reviews on this book but I will give it a shot anyway, I am looking for a book to help with my photography, right now I am reading make-up books to do digital make-up in my post processing but I know I will cross over to real life applications later.
Rini
the best book i've read in professional make up. kevyn aucoin has a super taste for beauty..plus this book speaks a lot more about him and his philosophy about life beyond make up. a must read for beauty fanatics or people who wants to see another view on beauty.
Eliza
I loved “Making Faces” so much that I had to get “Face Forward” when it came out. It did not disappoint. These books were my obsession in high school. They taught me a lot, and I even used them to teach an enrichment mini-class for the ladies at church.
Imani Phillips
I absolutely adored this book. I loved getting Kevyn's insight on so many colors and styles, the step-by-step looks, and getting bits and pieces of his personal story as well. After reading this book, I feel a VERY strong urge to go makeup shopping! Lol!
Margaret
A wonderful book of faces wherein Kevyn Aucoin's genius becomes clear. He makes over "regular" people and brings out their natural beauty and makes over celebrities to look like other icons. Awesome.
Heather
I absolutely adore Kevyn Aucoin - this is an amazing book, and a must-have for any make up artist, or anyone who just appreciates fabulous makeup!

BTW - the transformations in this book are incredible!
Tamar
So thorough! An excellent and comprehensive makeup primer. His transformations section (in which he turns celebrities into other celebrities) is truly amazing...especially Gwyneth Paltrow as James Dean.
Krystal
If you are a makeup artist, inspiring makeup artist, or just someone who loves makeup then this is a must read. Kevin Aucoin was a brilliant makeup artist who gives great tips and info in this book!
Mary
Dec 13, 2012 Mary rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: makeup lovers
Shelves: makeup-books
Even though there are better and more elaborate makeup books today, this is a classic and I still think it's a must have. It does show you how to get these 90s and before 90s makeup looks.
Phyrra
I liked this book but it didn't have as much detail as I would have preferred. Making Faces (another book by Kevyn Aucoin) had the level of detail that I was looking for.
Shannon chandler
I have had this book for years! If you want to learn about make up and how you can use it to change how to look completely different or just the basics this book is for you!
Heather
Ben
Excellent reference work on gendered make-up fashion, cosmetics, rouge, blush, mascara, eye-shadow, foundation, future and past.
Samantha
Simply SPECTACULAR book on professional makeup. I love the work done on celebrities to change them into different celebs.
  • Kevyn Aucoin, a Beautiful Life: The Success, Struggles, and Beauty Secrets of a Legendary Makeup Artist
  • Makeup: The Ultimate Guide
  • Sephora: The Ultimate Guide to Makeup, Skin, and Hair from the Beauty Authority
  • Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual: For Everyone from Beginner to Pro
  • Jemma Kidd Make-up Masterclass
  • Makeup Makeovers: Expert Secrets for Stunning Transformations
  • Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me: A Unique Guide to Over 35,000 Products, Plus the Latest Skin-Care Research
  • Stage Makeup
  • Eye Candy: 50 Easy Makeup Looks for Glam Lids and Luscious Lashes
  • The 5-Minute Face: The Quick & Easy Makeup Guide for Every Woman
  • The Bombshell Manual of Style
  • Vintage Hairstyling: Retro Styles with Step-by-Step Techniques
  • About Face: Amazing Transformations Using the Secrets of the Top Celebrity Makeup Artist
  • The Lucky Shopping Manual
  • That Extra Half an Inch: Hair, Heels and Everything in Between
  • Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste & Style
  • The Little Black Book of Style
  • Fashion: The Collection of the Kyoto Costume Institute - A History from the 18th to the 20th Century
Making Faces The Art of Makeup 2005 MAC Bible Cosmetics Training Manual Kevyn Aucoin, a Beautiful Life: The Success, Struggles, and Beauty Secrets of a Legendary Makeup Artist Isabella Rossellini: Looking At Me: On Pictures and Photographs