Start by marking “Krazy Kat” as Want to Read:
Krazy Kat

Krazy Kat

Krazy Kat adores Ignatz Mouse. She sees the bricks he hurls at her head as tokens of love, and each day Ignatz arranges a cunningly different method of delivery for his missile. But when Ignatz and Krazy witness the mega-brick explosion in the desert, Krazy becomes depressed, and refuses to perform. To coax her back to work so they can regain their lost limelight, Ignatz ...more
Published February 10th 2004 by Vintage (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Krazy Kat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Krazy Kat

R.
Jan 07, 2010 R. rated it it was amazing
Recommended to R. by: Melanie
Shelves: 2010
Brrrrr. There is a chill in here this morning.

I can already tell that I'm going to sink into a bit of a depression when the last page of this book is turned: ornate without being fussy, surreal without lopping over into confusionland...it does make one wonder if some wiseass writer will give Garfield the postmodern touch in(doing the math) 2049.

What an eerie sensation

If the comicstrip cat became "servile" from the time of Krazy Kat's inception to the 80s; in what direction will papercats evolve
Lola
Mar 12, 2013 Lola rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Surrealists & Romantics & PoMos
I swear I can't quite properly criticize this book because I obtained it in junior high, hidden with a stack of actual Krazy Kat comics. I read it obsessively, and it became a sort of pattern over which my adolescence was formed. I only understood about half of the content, but what I could understand was like a drink of water after a long walk. And I found Mr. Cantor attractive in a way far more predatory than society admits young women feel.

Cantor's "Krazy Kat" is still the only book I have ev
Nov 08, 2014 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm an old fan of the comic, so I was certainly willing to give it a look. It was definitely interesting, a fascinating exploration by walking outside the panel walls and seeing what was out there. There were some times where it seemed a little too much for fun, and others where it seemed a little academic, but overall it was an interesting book to contemplate.
Matt
Nov 15, 2008 Matt rated it liked it
This is a book I've wanted to read for a while, being a fan of the comic strip and a fan of books that try to do this kind of thing, to explode things that exist in a weird pop cultural parallel dimension. And this does that pretty well, but it's also strangely of its time (the eighties)-- there's the persistent fascination with nuclear war, for one, that seems, I don't know, not quite quaint but still a little overblown. Ditto for the sections on Freud-- even by the eighties, wasn't that a dead ...more
Keith Bowden
Jul 02, 2008 Keith Bowden rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
Awful awful awful. I'm surprised this is still in print. Perhaps not as awful as Moebius' surprisingly vile version of Batman, it really has no resemblance to the world created by George Herriman. Perhaps it would have been interesting if he hadn't used those characters as his protagonists.
Spoon
Jun 02, 2007 Spoon rated it liked it
occasionaly, i'll get to thinking about long chain synthetic molecules. this naturally leads to Neil Diamond. and shit, that's funny. and then "Love On the Rocks" worms through my ears into my brain and then i'm doomed.
Jesse
Feb 19, 2008 Jesse rated it really liked it
The first two-thirds of this were brilliant, as Cantor deconstructed the comic strip by creating and destroying new rules, vocabularies, etc.. But he totally lost me during the last chapters. Thankfully, being all pomo, you can totally stop reading before then without any ill effects.
Erik
May 17, 2008 Erik rated it liked it
This book has some moments and some potential, but it ultimately falls a little short.

However, if you already are a fan of George Harriman's Krazy Kat, you should probably read this book.
Colin
Jun 20, 2009 Colin rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
A Hot Mess. I'm certainly no alarmist when it comes to sex/racism in literature, but this book has both in spades, no pun intended. It flat out sucked.

Leonard Pierce
Dec 16, 2007 Leonard Pierce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
One of the strangest novels I've ever read, a dreadful view of the nuclear age glimpsed through the eyes of the comic strip cat.
Sep 05, 2012 David rated it liked it
It is not east living a flat life so spice it up from bricks to A bombs, love and politics makes our world and ourselves just a little rounder.
Rand
Nov 24, 2015 Rand marked it as to-read
You know that there are too many books in your to-read list on Goodreads if you can't recognize an author / title you've been keen on when browsing the stacks in the local second hand shop.
Peter Centorcelli
interesting book, something that each individual will need to read and will probably get something different out of
Adam Al
Nov 30, 2013 Adam Al rated it it was amazing
Amazing!
Caseybytabor
Caseybytabor rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2008
John Christian
John Christian rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2012
Matt
Matt rated it it was ok
Nov 11, 2011
Josh Dormammu
Josh Dormammu rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2015
Josias
Josias rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2012
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2007
Dane Martin
Dane Martin rated it did not like it
Jan 26, 2008
James Steffen
James Steffen rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2013
Travis
Travis rated it it was ok
Oct 05, 2008
Naveera Ahmed
Naveera Ahmed rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2013
Marc Danziger
Marc Danziger rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2012
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Kent Kleinowski
Kent Kleinowski rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2008
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2008
s.d.
s.d. rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2010
David
David rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2012
  • The Complete Terry and the Pirates, Vol. 1: 1934-1936
  • Love and Rockets, Vol. 3: Las Mujeres Perdidas
  • Bucko
  • The Acme Novelty Datebook, Vol. 2, 1995-2002
  • The Decadent Reader: Fiction, Fantasy, and Perversion from Fin-de-Siècle France
  • Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook