Start by marking “Southern Fried Women” as Want to Read:
Southern Fried Women

Southern Fried Women

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Every once in a while, an author comes along who's non-traditional, unconventional, and doesn't play by all the "rules." She writes Southern fiction - her way. We've got a live one on the Southern literature scene She can ruffle the feathers of the most stoic, mess with the beliefs of the strictest fundamentalists, and reel you into the story like a mean catfish meant for ...more
Published June 13th 2006 by Spotlight Publishing (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Southern Fried Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Southern Fried Women

Beth
This book of short stories is a treat to read! If you love the picture on the cover, you will be happy to see each story starts with a photograph and an introduction from Pamela King Cable explaining her inspiration for the story. I am a huge fan of old photos, so the photos really spoke to me. I found it interesting to get into Pamela's head and see how each character and their story was born. It made the characters and their stories very real to me.

The stories are very unique. These are not al
Diane Keighran
Loved this collection of short stories. There is certainly something unique about Southern Women, this collection really showcases their tenacity and refusal to be defeated.
Gmr
Dec 08, 2011 Gmr rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: southern fiction fans
Each story features a cast of strong southern women facing the trials of life the best way they know how….head on. They don’t shy away from their circumstances no matter how rough and they’re not afraid to get down and dirty if need be. There’s also a dusting of the religious high road that many in the self proclaimed “Bible belt” take to heart but it’s purely meant to show that by the grace of the powers that be, all things can be overcome. Take “Vernal Paskins, Mobile Home Queen”…our leading l ...more
B.J. Robinson
I totally loved Southern Fried Women by Pamela King Cable. It's a book of short stories that can't help but evoke readers' emotions. I laughed, and I cried. It begins with "Southern Fried Women," which was one of my favorites. "Beach Babies" and "Coal Dust on my Feet" were my two other favorites," sad, but awesome stories. Ms. Cable showcases the South in honesty and realism and for characterization, you'll stumble upon a few swear words, but some stories have none. If you like Southern reads wi ...more
Carol
I read this for the Just For Fun Challenge which encourages reading one book that has been on the TBR shelf for a long time and without doing a review. I still rated this book though and I loved it.
Pamela Cable
May 19, 2012 Pamela Cable rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Book clubs and bloggers have embraced Southern Fried Women. This collection of short stories has quite a cult following, especially in the South. Each First Lady of the Southern states received a copy, while the First Lady of both West Virginia and Mississippi sent personal invitations for me to speak to the people of Charleston and Jackson. It's currently used in two Texas school systems as part of their curriculum in Southern Studies. Award-Winning Finalist-ForeWord Magazine's eighth annual Bo ...more
Krista
I loved this book, a collections of stories so engrossing and entertaining that I'm thinking about the characters weeks after I've read their stories. I love the language and the author's style of writing. I sent excerpts of the author's introduction "What is a Southern-Fried Woman?" to a couple of the special women in my own life, my sisters.

I would be happy to read the author's upcoming novel "Televenge" (hint, hint).
Diana Stevan
I was thrilled to find this author. Each of the short stories in this collection are nuanced, and speak from the heart. There is something here for everyone. Pamela shows she knows the human spirit and the trouble it finds at every level, especially in the southern USA. What I especially loved about this book is the fact that at end of each story, Pamela tells us what inspired her to write that particular tale.
Lynn Chandler Willis
Well bless her heart, Pamela King Cable has captured the heart and soul of southern women in this collection of shorts. You'll laugh out loud, cry, and cheer each character on. Pour yourself a glass of sweet tea, prop your feet up and enjoy a glimpse of life in the south.
Laine Cunningham
From the depths of violence to the heights of humor...each of these stories offers something entirely new in the Southern storytelling tradition.
Vickie
Great book by a North Carolina writer.
Kw
Kw marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Kellie
Kellie marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Hengcert Curied
Hengcert Curied marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Lisa
Lisa added it
Apr 10, 2014
Tammy Spivey
Tammy Spivey marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
Sabrina
Sabrina marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
Corah
Corah marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Born in West Virginia, a coal miner's granddaughter, Pam was raised in a tiny town in Northeast Ohio and raised by a tribe of wild Pentecostals. Pam cut her teeth on the back of a church pew, grew up in clapboard churches, tabernacles, tent revivals, and for many years in a grand cathedral -- a mega-church.

Pam's first book, Southern Fried Women, was a finalist in Fiction and Literature-Short Story
More about Pamela King Cable...
Televenge Vernell Paskins, Mobile Home Queen Cry Televenge - A Sample Old Time Religion