Who Put the Butter in Butterfly: And Other Fearless Investigations Into Our Illogical Language

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Bestselling author and pop-culture pundit David Feldman demystifies our language's most curious cliches and quips. From cooties and mugwumps to Ps and Qs and Peeping Tom, this is a doozie of a diversion.
Published January 1st 1900 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Who Put the Butter in Butterfly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Put the Butter in Butterfly

Claire
I love these kinds of books because I like to find the stories behind where words and phrases came from. This one however, I found very hard to relate to. Not only had I never heard half the phrases and words, but there was no personality to the explanations. They were very similar to reading a text book. It took me less than a day to read though, so if you're looking for a quick and easy read, this book would be a good choice! May I recommend Why Do Men Have Nipples if you''re looking for an en...more
Tori
Jul 25, 2011 Tori added it
2005- One of the reviewers on Amazon.com I think correctly described this book as ""bathroom reading."" I agree wholeheartedly. The book reads like an encyclopedia more than anything else, and it's not recommended to read it in large sections (like I did) because you'll be bored quickly. Apparently its part of a series, and this one focused exclusively on language (Where did the term Peeping Tom come from? What does it mean to mind your Ps & Qs?, etc). I suppose if I read a few explanations...more
Vivek
I learned a lot from this book! I do think that this book is somthing I would use for a reference. It is fun to read through the pages of this book as if it was a novel even though it was informational. It made lots of sense but it got quite boring when you got to the middle of the book where there were several long chapters talking about political words. But then you get to the fun words like "gobldygook" and "blurb." David Felderman has other good books like this that I will try to read soon.
Josh Hamacher
I think I must have stolen this from my mom about two decades ago, or at least I think she had a copy at some point. In any case, it's a very fast read, maybe two hours, and would be considerably more interesting if the author didn't feel the need to inject his own unique "humor" into each and every description of the origins of various words and phrases. Probably worth a read if you find a copy in a library.
Ladygwen
A book full of fascinating etymology explanations, my only concern being there was little in the way of proof. He provided a small bibliography in the back. There were a few times he referenced, but did not cite, the OED. Some answers appeared to be write ins from people.

It was fun but a lot of information. You could tell it was written in 1950, which made it more fun in my opinion.
Kim
Interesting, though I'm not certain I would take every explanation literally. "Soda Jerk" as a derivation of alcohol jerk doesn't make much sense, but what I've heard before on food shows about the soda fountain person having to "jerk" the handle of the soda fountain to get it to come out properly. Always fun to think about work and phrase origins though. :)
Andd Becker
If you like etymology, this reference book is for you. You might actually enjoy learning things like Gelett Burgess of purple cow fame coined the word "blurb" in 1907. Or maybe you want to learn the origin of keeping up with the Joneses. Or saved in the nick of time.
Dini
Filled with fun, trivial knowledge, which I love. Sadly some of the terms are quite outdated and new to me which made it difficult to associate. Nevertheless, this is a great book to read, especially if you like trivial facts like me.
Alex Seals
This was a good, little source to read up on different phrases that we use. I especially thought the origin of Peeping Tom was interesting!
Molly
This series has answered many questions for me and prompted many more. It's truly fascinating and well written.
Sharon
Good light reading for all ages
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Gorrila
Gorrila marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Kittykat22096
Kittykat22096 marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Trulie
Trulie marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Lisased
Lisased marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Mlovelace
Mlovelace marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Alcides Lorenzo
Alcides Lorenzo marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Marshall Bruno
Marshall Bruno marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
John
John is currently reading it
Jun 12, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Jen Dee
Jen Dee marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

He holds a bachelor's degree in literature from Grinnell College, and a master's degree in popular culture from Bowling Green State University in Ohio. He consults and lectures on the media. He lives in New York City.
More about David Feldman...
Why Do Clocks Run Clockwise? and Other Imponderables: Mysteries of Everyday Life Explained Do Penguins Have Knees?: An Imponderables' Book When Do Fish Sleep? : An Imponderables' Book Imponderables: The Solution to the Mysteries of Everyday Life Do Elephants Jump?: An Imponderables' Book