The Ann Lovejoy Handbook of Northwest Gardening: Natural-Sustainable-Organic

The Ann Lovejoy Handbook of Northwest Gardening: Natural-Sustainable-Organic

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In her latest book, Ann Lovejoy covers every corner of natural gardening in the Pacific Northwest. All the steps are here in detail, from landscaping and design to soil prep and planting beds. She explains organic approaches to ground covers, lawns, shrubs, trees, and more, all with an eye to building a beautiful and sustainable garden that’s friendly to people, pets, and...more
Published October 28th 2003 by Sasquatch Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Ann Lovejoy Handbook of Northwest Gardening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ann Lovejoy Handbook of Northwest Gardening

Wendy
If I only had a spare blender, I would try adding more moss (instead of dandilions and clover) to my lawn by blending buttermilk and moss into a "thick slurry" and pouring that on all the bare spots. What other gardening book would condone my attitude towards lawns and contain such a bizarre, yet simple, suggestion? Lovejoy is an encouraging and inspiring author, with a sense of humor to boot.

In a section on keeping deer out of your garden, she writes:
Coyotoe urine is sold in nurseries and is a...more
Barbara
For anyone interested in learning more about sustainable gardening in the Northwest this is a good read. Lovejoy, noted garden writer in our area, takes us through the whole process of creating a more enjoyable, less labor intensive, garden. Her book includes design, plant selection, and soil (the most important ingredient)...all of it targeted to the Northwest climate and lifestyle. Busy people take note. You can have a beautiful garden, aligned with nature, with 2 hours a week maintenance. I k...more
Robin
This isn't a really comprehensive tomb about gardening in the Northwest, but it has lots of specific, practical advice that pertains to our region in short little sections. It's easy to understand and makes me believe that one day I can really garden organically! Now if only I could find the time...
Kathleen
Excellent resource for suggestions on landscaping in the northwest. Lovejoy provides many plant options for all conditions- dry, sunny, wet, shady, clay soil, loamy soil, whatever you've got, there's a suggestion in here for your yard. An indispensable resource for the NW gardener.
Meghan
Oct 18, 2007 Meghan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Gardeners in the PNW
Shelves: gardening
Excellent guide to gardening with ornamentals in the PNW. Focus on sustainable landscape design and organic plant care, and includes lots of great lists of plants for use in different areas.
Anna
I do love Ann Lovejoy. This book is comprehensive and I'm planning on buying it.

Golly, I love to read about ornamental gardening. Maybe someday I'll actually get to do some.
Diane
If you live in the Northwest this should be in your own gardening library. Page after page of excellent advice, plans, and resources as well as a plant guide.
Marianne
I learned so much from this book about how to make my life easier and more beautiful in the yard. Still have a long way to go...
Mary
One of the best books I've read on gardening in the Pacific Northwest.
Pat Loughery
Good, a bit dry, and not much focus on vegetable gardening.
Meg
Mar 08, 2010 Meg added it
Mmm. Gardening, northwest style.
Tom Orsi
Tom Orsi marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Beth
Beth added it
Jun 02, 2013
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
May 19, 2013
Catface
Catface marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2013
Cellularluminescent
Cellularluminescent marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2013
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2013
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2013
Jocelyn
Jocelyn marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Ann Lovejoy's Organic Garden Design School The Year in Bloom: Gardening for All Seasons in the Pacific Northwest The Border in Bloom Farther Along The Garden Path The Garden in Bloom