Chasing Daylight: Seize the Power of Every Moment

Chasing Daylight: Seize the Power of Every Moment

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  555 ratings  ·  43 reviews
In this inspiring book (formerly Seizing Your Divine Moment), Erwin McManus uses the biblical account of Israel's war with the Philistines (1 Samuel 13 and 14) and the characters of Saul and Jonat
Published January 10th 2006 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2002)

H.L. Hussmann
For a book to get 5 stars from me it has to be both life-impacting and compelling. This book was easily both.

It's uncommon for a book to be so theological without feeling so. It's incredibly practical and I believe a book I needed to read at just the right time.

Though the theme is pretty much - "Go do something - you don't need specific direction to do so" I think God used this theme to give me some specific direction. Go figure - He's that kind of God.

A great book for someone who's tired of "li...more
Erika Schoen
This book changed my life! It filled me with a thirst for Christ and a passion for his kingdom
Dave Courtney
This book by Pastor Erwin McManus is intended to ignite the passion inside of us to chase God's dream for our lives. For the most part it follows the story of the Old Testament character of Jonathan as he examines what it looks like to allow ourselves to fall forwards in to God's plan and purpose despite our fears and inhibitions. It also overlays a fictional story that follows the chapters through the journey, something that allows the thematic elements to tell a story of sorts along the way.

M...more
Annemarie Metcalf
This book has a lot of great concepts to push you out there and dethaw yourself if you've become somewhat frozen facing the future.
There are interesting little pictures and logs from a fantasy of a man's journey with his mentor scattered throughout which apply to the ideas in the chapters.
He uses one passage of scripture throughout as well, though for me I think he overused it... drawing a bit too much out of just one example, but that doesn't really affect his other points and encouragement.
A...more
Blake Hudson
One of the best I've ever read. very inspiring and great use of biblical narrative to illicit confidence in action.
Susan Cottrell
I know I rated this 5 stars thought I haven't yet read it :) because of how much I LOVE this author! I read THE BARBARIAN WAY and completely loved it. OH MY GOSH, McManus is revolutionary! He speaks with a voice of swinging off the vine into the rushing water, to go wherever the Living Water wants to take you! It broke through to the wild and crazy life Jesus offers but few Christians grasp. LOVE. IT.
Jason
Aug 03, 2013 Jason rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013, 2007
August, 2013
I love this book. It was a huge catalyst for change when I first read it in 2007. And rereading it made me realize just how much I use prayer as an excuse to not act. God may not light the path with bright neon lights but He has given us some clear directions. This book will challenge you to do more for His kingdom than you ever thought possible.
Jordan Barr
Erwin McManus is one of my new favorite authors. He provides such great and simplistic perspective to concepts of our everyday faith that we often spend too much time over-analyzing. This particular book gives great insight into our calling to seize every moment God gives us because it could be the one that brings us closer His carefully designed plan for our life.
Carma
I really enjoyed this book. There are tons of nuggets of truth to be found here. It is difficult to read this book and not feel compelled to action. I have recommended and given it as a gift already. McManus is a straight-forward, clear thinker with amazing insight. I really appreciate his world-view as well and his belief in active faith. Well word the read!
Walt Walkowski
This definitely goes on the "read again" pile. McManus does an excellent job of reminding us to live in the moment and to stay in step with the Spirit. Too often we want to "play it safe," when God is calling us to an adventure we could never plan or imagine. I am inspired to keep my eyes and ears open to what God might be doing in and around me.
Ron Lohrbach
I just finished reading and am challanged by what Erwin McManus calls divine moment opportunities and taking risks. Highly recommend to the church and those open to becoming more than Christ followers but radicals for the Truth of Jesus Christ.

Whitney Hopperton
could have been 20 pages, seemed to say the same thing on every page. Isnt really a "Christian living" book, but more of a motivational book. For a motivational book, it was good, but for a Christian living book, it was just ok.
Mary Heise
Jan 11, 2012 Mary Heise rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Mary by: Found at the bookstore, and it intriged me.
The book was really enlightening for me. It really helped with how I am to move with God, and not just expect or think that God moves with me. I definately will have the ladies in my womens's group at church read this book!
Evan
The author strongly encourages the reader to get up and "sieze the day," or rather the moment. Love the little introductory articles before each chapter. Love the momentum you get when you read this book!
Ratforce
This inspirational book of Christian living has much to offer fans of Rob Bell and Donald Miller. Like both authors, McManus explores spiritual ideas with a fresh and modern sensibility.
Tyler
Jan 25, 2008 Tyler rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
My favorite of Erwin's books. It was an extremely encouraging look at Jonathan, David's armorbearer. About following your call, and taking advantage of every opportunity to do so.
Emily
A good time in life to read this? I wasn't wowed by it as much as I was expecting to be after seeing him speak. He's such a dynamic speaker that almost anything would pale in comparison.
Diane
This book was amazing! Definitely one of the top non-fiction books I have ever read. You already know God's will for your life...it is in the Bible. "Go until you get a no!"
As with both McManus books I've read, they start out with a powerful message that challenges me. I love it. But by mid-way through the book, it starts to feel repetitive.
Aaron
Great book on the call to action by God. If you stop to" pray about it", you haven't already missed the boat! Many people use this excuse as a reason to delay action.
Jasmine
You know where to begin: take initiative.
You know who God is, so embrace life's uncertainty.

Wonderful message brimming with divine revelations.

Bruce Brown
Although it seemed a bit strange at first, I found the book very encouraging. The basic message (although there was a lot more in there) was trust God and go for it!
Colette
We did this one in bible study. It's a really good read. I want to read it again right through instead of just the designated chapters for each meeting etc.
Lisa
This book has a great message, encouraging readers to live with a purpose, to be passionate about God and to represent Christ. Great call to action.
Kathryn
Still reading, but filled with practical wisdom for the times we live in. When I read a chapter, the day shows the reality of it as I run through it.
Brian Boswell
God has a grand adventure for each of us. Don't you want to know what it is? This book will inspire you to dare to take what is yours in Christ.
Matt
This book started out slow but by the 3rd chapter, I was hooked. It's about seizing our devine moments that God lays out before us.
Daniel York
Excellent, thought-provoking book that challenges how we spend our time and gives encouragement for wise spiritual living.
Danielle
Carpe Diem! Sieze the day! I feel sometimes the sun is chasing me and shining when I drive!
Rick Mackinnon
Each chapter has a new challenge, a "profound thought" presented with a real life application.
Christian Readers: Has anyone read this, if so what did you think? 1 25 Mar 21, 2012 07:29PM
  • The Importance of Being Foolish: How to Think Like Jesus
  • Good to Great in God's Eyes: 10 Practices Great Christians Have in Common
  • Communicating for a Change: Seven Keys to Irresistible Communication
  • This Beautiful Mess: Practicing the Presence of the Kingdom of God
  • Chazown: khaw-ZONE - A Different Way to See Your Life
  • The Secret Message of Jesus: Uncovering the Truth That Could Change Everything
  • Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs
  • Leading on Empty: Refilling Your Tank and Renewing Your Passion
  • Young, Restless, Reformed: A Journalist's Journey with the New Calvinists
  • Turn My Mourning Into Dancing
  • Just Courage
  • Praise Habit: Finding God in Sunsets and Sushi
  • The Present Future: Six Tough Questions for the Church
  • The Challenge of the Disciplined Life: Christian Reflections on Money, Sex, and Power
  • They Like Jesus But Not the Church: Insights from Emerging Generations
Erwin Raphael McManus is an iconoclast known as a cultural pioneer for his integration of creativity and spirituality. He is an artist, entrepreneur, and cultural thought leader who is also the founder of MOSAIC, a community of faith in Los Angeles California. Known for their innovation, creativity, and artistry, MOSAIC has been named one of the most influential and innovative churches in America....more
More about Erwin Raphael McManus...
The Barbarian Way: Unleash the Untamed Faith Within Soul Cravings: An Exploration of the Human Spirit Uprising: A Revolution of the Soul An Unstoppable Force: Daring to Become the Church God Had in Mind Wide Awake

“We are all time voyagers leaving history in our wake, pioneering into the future.” 6 likes
“When we are passionate about God, we can trust our passions.” 2 likes