Start by marking “Chasing Daylight: Seize the Power of Every Moment” as Want to Read:

Chasing Daylight: Seize the Power of Every Moment
Published January 8th 2006 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2002)

H.L. Hussmann
Nov 28, 2012 H.L. Hussmann rated it it was amazing
For a book to get 5 stars from me it has to be both life-impacting and compelling. This book was easily both.

It's uncommon for a book to be so theological without feeling so. It's incredibly practical and I believe a book I needed to read at just the right time.

Though the theme is pretty much - "Go do something - you don't need specific direction to do so" I think God used this theme to give me some specific direction. Go figure - He's that kind of God.

A great book for someone who's tired of "li
Erika Schoen
Aug 24, 2013 Erika Schoen rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life! It filled me with a thirst for Christ and a passion for his kingdom
Shawn
Dec 03, 2016 Shawn rated it liked it
Starts off very repetitive an abstract, then gets more practical and concrete. Get through the first 50 pages or so, and the rest of the book is good.
Dave Courtney
Feb 06, 2012 Dave Courtney rated it liked it
This book by Pastor Erwin McManus is intended to ignite the passion inside of us to chase God's dream for our lives. For the most part it follows the story of the Old Testament character of Jonathan as he examines what it looks like to allow ourselves to fall forwards in to God's plan and purpose despite our fears and inhibitions. It also overlays a fictional story that follows the chapters through the journey, something that allows the thematic elements to tell a story of sorts along the way.

M
Annemarie Metcalf
Jan 10, 2013 Annemarie Metcalf rated it really liked it
This book has a lot of great concepts to push you out there and dethaw yourself if you've become somewhat frozen facing the future.
There are interesting little pictures and logs from a fantasy of a man's journey with his mentor scattered throughout which apply to the ideas in the chapters.
He uses one passage of scripture throughout as well, though for me I think he overused it... drawing a bit too much out of just one example, but that doesn't really affect his other points and encouragement.
A
Veronica Delgado
Apr 07, 2015 Veronica Delgado rated it liked it
I love this author's writing. very detailed and descriptive, to the point where he makes you feel as if you were there. However, because he is such a great descriptive writer, I found myself getting boggled down with the details and even distracted and it became hard to stay focused when a paragraph wasn't as interesting as another one. this book did take me awhile to read but i got through it. sadly I cant remember much about the book anymore but that i enjoyed the detail. side note, he is an e ...more
Susan Cottrell
Sep 25, 2012 Susan Cottrell rated it it was amazing
I know I rated this 5 stars thought I haven't yet read it :) because of how much I LOVE this author! I read THE BARBARIAN WAY and completely loved it. OH MY GOSH, McManus is revolutionary! He speaks with a voice of swinging off the vine into the rushing water, to go wherever the Living Water wants to take you! It broke through to the wild and crazy life Jesus offers but few Christians grasp. LOVE. IT.
Eric Oleson
Mar 19, 2016 Eric Oleson rated it liked it
I love being challenge to be better, which McManus does tirelessly. I felt like the tone was a little irresponsible. There's a wide canyon between calculated, purposeful risk and being foolish. The author never even glossed over this note, which I find inexcusable considering his high influence in contemporary Christian circles. In spite of all of this, I did have some personal takeaways having read this book. I recommend with the caveat mentioned above.
Walt Walkowski
Jan 25, 2013 Walt Walkowski rated it it was amazing
This definitely goes on the "read again" pile. McManus does an excellent job of reminding us to live in the moment and to stay in step with the Spirit. Too often we want to "play it safe," when God is calling us to an adventure we could never plan or imagine. I am inspired to keep my eyes and ears open to what God might be doing in and around me.
Jordan Barr
Erwin McManus is one of my new favorite authors. He provides such great and simplistic perspective to concepts of our everyday faith that we often spend too much time over-analyzing. This particular book gives great insight into our calling to seize every moment God gives us because it could be the one that brings us closer His carefully designed plan for our life.
Jason
Jan 11, 2009 Jason rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, 2007
August, 2013
I love this book. It was a huge catalyst for change when I first read it in 2007. And rereading it made me realize just how much I use prayer as an excuse to not act. God may not light the path with bright neon lights but He has given us some clear directions. This book will challenge you to do more for His kingdom than you ever thought possible.
Carma
May 09, 2009 Carma rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. There are tons of nuggets of truth to be found here. It is difficult to read this book and not feel compelled to action. I have recommended and given it as a gift already. McManus is a straight-forward, clear thinker with amazing insight. I really appreciate his world-view as well and his belief in active faith. Well word the read!
Diana Nagy
Feb 28, 2016 Diana Nagy rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Highly recommend. Fantastic book that I picked up primarily by accident, began reading and whipped through it in no time. I couldn't put it down. God definitely put this book into my hands at just the right time for me.
Lauren
Nov 19, 2015 Lauren rated it it was amazing
A good book to help you appreciate/prioritize the days you have left (no matter how many you think you may have). Written by a textbook Type A personality, he certainly had a different approach to dying. I'd hope to have such a constructive, proactive way to deal with it.
Mary Heise
Aug 14, 2009 Mary Heise rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Mary by: Found at the bookstore, and it intriged me.
The book was really enlightening for me. It really helped with how I am to move with God, and not just expect or think that God moves with me. I definately will have the ladies in my womens's group at church read this book!
Whitney Hopperton
Jul 20, 2009 Whitney Hopperton rated it it was ok
Shelves: christian-living
could have been 20 pages, seemed to say the same thing on every page. Isnt really a "Christian living" book, but more of a motivational book. For a motivational book, it was good, but for a Christian living book, it was just ok.
Evan
Mar 12, 2009 Evan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
The author strongly encourages the reader to get up and "sieze the day," or rather the moment. Love the little introductory articles before each chapter. Love the momentum you get when you read this book!
Ron Lohrbach
May 23, 2008 Ron Lohrbach rated it really liked it
I just finished reading and am challanged by what Erwin McManus calls divine moment opportunities and taking risks. Highly recommend to the church and those open to becoming more than Christ followers but radicals for the Truth of Jesus Christ.

Christina
Feb 26, 2009 Christina rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! A must read.
Lisa
Nov 19, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Beware - it'll change your life! It changed mine!
Booklover
Nov 19, 2008 Booklover rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all
Recommended to Booklover by: given to me by my life coach
Shelves: inspirational
saying that this book is an eye opener is an understatement!
Ratforce
This inspirational book of Christian living has much to offer fans of Rob Bell and Donald Miller. Like both authors, McManus explores spiritual ideas with a fresh and modern sensibility.
Blake Hudson
May 31, 2014 Blake Hudson rated it it was amazing
One of the best I've ever read. very inspiring and great use of biblical narrative to illicit confidence in action.
Tyler
Jan 25, 2008 Tyler rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
My favorite of Erwin's books. It was an extremely encouraging look at Jonathan, David's armorbearer. About following your call, and taking advantage of every opportunity to do so.
Colette
Oct 22, 2009 Colette rated it it was amazing
We did this one in bible study. It's a really good read. I want to read it again right through instead of just the designated chapters for each meeting etc.
Aaron
Oct 05, 2013 Aaron rated it really liked it
Great book on the call to action by God. If you stop to" pray about it", you haven't already missed the boat! Many people use this excuse as a reason to delay action.
Ed
Feb 27, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
A good, but very challenging book. It talks about how and why to seize the divine moments that God puts before you.
Diane
Jul 13, 2009 Diane rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! Definitely one of the top non-fiction books I have ever read. You already know God's will for your life...it is in the Bible. "Go until you get a no!"
Rick Mackinnon
Aug 10, 2011 Rick Mackinnon rated it it was amazing
Each chapter has a new challenge, a "profound thought" presented with a real life application.
Mar 31, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
As with both McManus books I've read, they start out with a powerful message that challenges me. I love it. But by mid-way through the book, it starts to feel repetitive.
Christian Readers: Has anyone read this, if so what did you think? 1 26 Mar 22, 2012 03:29AM
  • The Importance of Being Foolish: How to Think Like Jesus
  • Good to Great in God's Eyes: 10 Practices Great Christians Have in Common
  • The Character of God's Workman
  • Holy Discontent: Fueling the Fire That Ignites Personal Vision
  • Choosing to Cheat: Who Wins When Family and Work Collide?
  • It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It
  • This Beautiful Mess: Practicing the Presence of the Kingdom of God
  • The Present Future: Six Tough Questions for the Church
  • The Monkey and the Fish: Liquid Leadership for a Third-Culture Church
  • Turn My Mourning Into Dancing: Finding Hope in Hard Times
  • Everything Must Change
  • An Emergent Manifesto of Hope (emersion: Emergent Village resources for communities of faith)
  • The Challenge of the Disciplined Life: Christian Reflections on Money, Sex, and Power
  • The Next Christians: The Good News About the End of Christian America
  • To Own a Dragon: Reflections on Growing Up Without a Father
  • Just Courage: God's Great Expedition for the Restless Christian
  • They Like Jesus but Not the Church: Insights from Emerging Generations
  • Leading on Empty: Refilling Your Tank and Renewing Your Passion
Erwin Raphael McManus is an iconoclast known as a cultural pioneer for his integration of creativity and spirituality. He is an artist, entrepreneur, and cultural thought leader who is also the founder of MOSAIC, a community of faith in Los Angeles California. Known for their innovation, creativity, and artistry, MOSAIC has been named one of the most influential and innovative churches in America. ...more
More about Erwin Raphael McManus...

“We are all time voyagers leaving history in our wake, pioneering into the future.” 11 likes
“When we are passionate about God, we can trust our passions.” 7 likes