Uprising: A Revolution of the Soul

Uprising: A Revolution of the Soul

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  650 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Warning: This book may not be for you!

This book is dangerous!

It is only for those who are ready to join an uprising―a revolution of the soul that will change an ordinary life into an extraordinary one. It is only for those who want something more out of life, who desire to tap into the divine potential that was placed in them at their creation.

You were in God's imagination...more
Published August 29th 2006 by Nelson Books (first published September 4th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Uprising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uprising

Stumbling Toward Faith by Renee N. AltsonA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinInto Thin Air by Jon KrakauerThe Poisonwood Bible by Barbara KingsolverA Fragile Stone by Michael Card
2013 C
13th out of 100 books — 4 voters
The Story We Find Ourselves In by Brian D. McLarenUprising by Erwin Raphael McManusVisioneering by Andy StanleyRenovation of the Heart by Dallas WillardNext Generation Leader by Andy Stanley
Drmountain's Reading
2nd out of 12 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Dion
Solid book on character. I think most people need a book like this. I tried to get a group of guys that I hang with to read it but they all crapped out on me :(

I still think everyone needs to read something like this, especially those of us who are Christ-followers... It's challenging and pastoral.
David Goode
I first read this book when I was in Year 11, which was nearly 10 years ago now. I distinctly remember taking it with me to a friends place where I stayed for a couple of nights over the summer of 2004. After trying to sleep the whole of the first night, I remember getting up as the sun awoke, groggy and tired, and reading the first 100 pages. I remember feeling deeply impacted by what I read and started to understand for the first time the importance of things like character and purpose, and ho...more
Ryan Johnson
One of my top 10 reads of all time
Mike Denk
Thought this was a great read that challenged me in the area of humility.
Wes F
I really enjoyed this book and have a good number of quotes from it to digitize. My favorite section was the one that discussed perseverance/endurance--with its resultant fruit of wisdom. Don't most of us want to become wiser and to have more wisdom for the challenges of our own lives--as well as to be able to help others? It all starts with being faithful in the little things and persevering through the smaller issues/difficulties--and as character is developed through those trials (James 1), w...more
Tyler
This was my least favorite of Erwin's books. It is still filled with great thoughts, but I found it to be a really difficult read. It could have just been the time in my live that I was reading it, because I have several friends who have very similar taste in books, that absolutely loved this one. I'll just say that if you like other books from this author, you'd probably get a lot out of this as well.
Stephanie
Another great book from Erwin. His notes on gratitude was convicting. Lots of great quotes. Some of the ones I will try to hold on to are:
"When we grow in wisdom of God, we begin to recognize that everything connects."

"All of life is sacred. Because creation so naturally meets our needs, we must not for a moment think we have no need for its Creator. Creation is here to draw us back to God."
Thomas Kinsfather
What makes a life significant? McManus speaks about the foundations of a meaningful life of character as only he can. Erwin's words are always challenging and full of hope. The follower of Jesus can lead a life of significance, not by way of discipline, but by transformation. Uprising is a wonderful picture of what a follower of Jesus looks like.
Jesse Braswell
The love of God is a strange but wonderful truism in this world. In order to understand it, we have to experience it fully. Then we can not help but to show it. It flows through us.

Erwin does a great job of getting us to examine ourselves. He causes me to look at things through new eyes. Love his examples.
Jonathan
A tough read I had to fight to finish. McManus has more than a few insights. However, his manner of writing is so confusing and frustrating that the objective often gets lost in the woods. The result is a book that you constantly want to put back on your shelf. This book should be reduced to a pamphlet.
David Herrick
I had a really really hard time getting into this book. There was some good stuff sprinkled throughout, but as a whole it just never really connected with me for some reason. It's basically a book about having good character. Others might enjoy it, but I didn't like it that much.
Martine
I read this back in 2005 on a flight from Kazakhstan. I remember highlighting most of the book and unable to put it down. I can't remember a lot of the content... but I believe it was used by God as part of my transformation into knowing Him more. I recommend this book.
Ebookwormy
Read it. liked it. McManus is a wierd and engaging bird. Some good discussion in our group. But it didn't stick with me. Perhaps to profound, or maybe McManus is just in a creative zone beyond me, to make a practical, lasting, impact.
Jordan Barr
I love the break down of key Christian virtues. It truly gave me some insight into tough concepts. Don't just live, live to the fullest. Christianity is not dull and this book will help you figure out how to never let it be.
Justin
As much as I loved Chasing Daylight, I was surprised that I couldn't get into this one at all. A few times I felt inspired or motivated, but either the author or I couldn't sustain it. Maybe I'll return to it another time.
Maya
This book articulates a lot of ideas about how to actually walk with Christ. A very solid book on character, backed in Christian faith. However, it often feels very secular- Take that as you will.
Walt Walkowski
I took too long to read this book. I need to read it again. I found it to be very enlightening and convicting, but I do think he could've said the same things in a few less pages.
Cone
A must-read book tht talks about courage, wisdom and generosity from an eternal perspective with the goal of full character transformation to conform to the likeness of Christ
Matthew Martin
Amazing book that covers all aspects of Character and works through how to be the best human being you can as you work your way toward Wisdom.
Stephanie
I never finished it. I'm not sure if it was McManus' writing style or the book it self. It didn't seem very revolutionary or different
Ron Lohrbach
Oct 19, 2008 Ron Lohrbach rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: candace
Recommended to Ron by: Candace
Erwin McManus challanged me with Biblical truth and life application. Recommend it for those similiar to me on a spiritual journey.
Gene Jennings
I like Erwin's insights. He is very quotable. I always read his books with a pen ready to underline his unique thoughts.
Crizzle
Inspiring and uplifting; great lines & quotes, per usual with McManus. Book study at church.
Nikki
Good, easy to read, and easy to intricate into your own life and spiritual journey
Michael
Life changer for me. Great insights! I have read it many times and given it as a gift.
Renee
It wasn't bad, but a lot of it seemed repetitive...some good lines and stories.
Jillian Halm
I did like this workbook, but I thought it was geared more towards men.
Crystal
Excellent book. Uplifting. Genuine. Good writing and plainly understood.
Carey Oster
Went through this book with a Bible study group and really enjoyed it.
Joi
Aug 07, 2007 Joi added it
Shelves: favorites
So far - awesome!! It is one of the best books I have ever read on character.
  • Becoming a Contagious Christian
  • Renovation of the Heart
  • A Glimpse of Jesus: The Stranger to Self-Hatred
  • Hand Me Another Brick
  • The Best Question Ever
  • The Story We Find Ourselves In: Further Adventures of a New Kind of Christian
  • The Jesus Way: A Conversation on the Ways That Jesus Is the Way (Spiritual Theology #3)
  • Sacred Pathways
  • Primal: A Quest for the Lost Soul of Christianity
  • It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It
  • A Community Called Atonement
  • Live Like a Jesus Freak: Spend Today as If It Were Your Last
Erwin Raphael McManus is an iconoclast known as a cultural pioneer for his integration of creativity and spirituality. He is an artist, entrepreneur, and cultural thought leader who is also the founder of MOSAIC, a community of faith in Los Angeles California. Known for their innovation, creativity, and artistry, MOSAIC has been named one of the most influential and innovative churches in America....more
More about Erwin Raphael McManus...
The Barbarian Way: Unleash the Untamed Faith Within Soul Cravings: An Exploration of the Human Spirit Chasing Daylight: Seize the Power of Every Moment An Unstoppable Force: Daring to Become the Church God Had in Mind Wide Awake

“To be apathetic is literally to be without passion.” 15 likes
“The first and most important step in the process of becoming genuinely is to be once again authenticated by the original designer.” 9 likes