Start by marking “Bus Stop” as Want to Read:
Bus Stop

Bus Stop

In the middle of a howling snowstorm, a bus out of Kansas City pulls up at a cheerful roadside diner. All roads are blocked, and four or five weary travelers are going to have to hole up until morning. Cherie, a nightclub chanteuse in a sparkling gown and a seedy fur-trimmed jacket, is the passenger with most to worry about. She's been pursued, made love to and finally kid ...more
Published June 1st 1995 by Dramatists Play Service (first published January 1st 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Bus Stop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bus Stop

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William ShakespeareMrs. Dalloway by Virginia WoolfUlysses by James JoyceA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensA Single Man by Christopher Isherwood
A Single Day
40th out of 100 books — 43 voters
The Princess Bride by William GoldmanSend More Idiots by Tony Perez-GieseDon Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes SaavedraThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienCarry on, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
Sidekicks Carry The Story
55th out of 61 books — 41 voters

More lists with this book...

Janette rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2008
Beth Devlin
Sep 11, 2008 Beth Devlin rated it really liked it
I'm in rehearsals for this play. I'm playing the role of Elma, the high school student. The language is beautiful, and there is a lot of depth to this slice-of-life ensemble piece.
Jun 11, 2009 Christian rated it really liked it
Some interesting characterization. Looks at what happens when some people are stranded in a bus stop/diner during a snow-storm. I could see putting it up, and I think it would entertain most audiences. Has at least three southern accents in it which is hard for me to deal with.
devin strauch
Mar 25, 2010 devin strauch rated it liked it
wonderful use of the time lock. great use of entrances and exits. the relationships were a little trite, but given the time that this was written, i can forgive it.
Ann Canann
Feb 24, 2011 Ann Canann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: plays
I played Cheri on stage for the Oakland Civic Theater. It is impossible to play such a delightful character without falling in love with the script.

Actors script
Also found in: paperback "William Inge Four Plays"
Jul 09, 2011 James rated it really liked it
Bridgette Redman
Feb 01, 2012 Bridgette Redman rated it really liked it
A lot can happen in a single night. At least, that is what William Inge is able to convince us of in his three-act romance Bus Stop.

A cowboy can lose his belligerence. A young girl can learn of romance from an unexpected source. A nightclub chanteuse can discover domesticity and a drunken lecher can mend his ways. Even the owner of a roadside diner and a bus driver can find a touch of romance in lives spent mostly in getting left behind or in leaving others behind. At least, all these things can
Sherrie Colbourn
Sherrie Colbourn rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2012
CeCe rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2012
Karen rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2012
Tramov rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2012
May 14, 2012 Arielle rated it liked it
It took me a while to get into it. I almost put it dow into the 1st act. I'm glad I didn't. By the second act, it had gotten interesting. It's really interesting to see how things change and what can happen in the span of 24 hours. It was cute.
Catherine rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2012
Jan 28, 2013 Jeff rated it really liked it
It has been a long time since I have read this play, and I had forgotten what a melancholy masterpiece this is. Inge does not get the credit he deserves when speaking of the ranks of great American playwrights.
William Wilson
William Wilson rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2016
Jun 06, 2013 Shandril rated it liked it
First of all, this is a play. So if you don't like to read scripts, pass this one up. The description of the story caught me because it reminded me of the Twilight Zone episode where a bus full of people get snowed in at a local eatery run by an alien. No such interesting things as interstellar warfare in "Bus Stop" though. Still, if taken into the context of the time it was written (1950's) you'll find this story an enjoyable quick read.
Jane Mcneil
Jan 05, 2014 Jane Mcneil rated it really liked it
Wonderful play with universal themes and timeless characters. A flawless structure depicts each role with a succinct amount of dialogue. Inge's plays are some of my favorites because he has the ability to capture so much of human emotion with ingenious brevity.
Brittney Cacace
Nov 11, 2014 Brittney Cacace rated it really liked it
Having both read and worked on this particular show, I have found I quite like this work.

Inge has done a marvelous job of creating characters that actors can create stories for to give more weight to the choices made through the play and enough subtext for readers to impress their own visions onto them. The experiences of seeing the play and reading it are two very different but rewarding things, both giving new depth to the way one can look and understand the characters.

For a show that takes
Briana Alzola
Jun 18, 2014 Briana Alzola rated it really liked it
As always when I read scripts, I wish I could see it done on stage, too. The characters in this no doubt come to life on stage. This show also makes you think: What would it be like if you were trapped with a bunch of strangers in a diner overnight?
Jessica rated it it was ok
Aug 07, 2014
Sep 28, 2014 Andrew rated it really liked it
I wish this story could have had a little bit of a stronger ending. I don't know how I feel about the end, because I don't understand why one character made such a sudden switch. Up until then, I loved this play. It does a really good job at following multiple character relationships. I just wish the development of that ONE character was stronger, so I could understand her last decision.
Melissa Neufer
Mar 13, 2015 Melissa Neufer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My first and only lead role I've ever done! "I call myself, Cherie." Was a lot of fun. A great and funny love story with some memorable and touching moments. Definitely a classic and a great play!
s rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2015
Wade rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2015
Jenny rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2015
Oct 22, 2015 Katherine rated it liked it
Shelves: plays
Overfamiliar character types but given great lines. Examples:

“ELMA: He’s a Doctor of Philosophy.
CARL: What’s that?
ELMA: It’s the very highest degree there is, for scholarship.
CARL: Ya’d think he’d have philosophy enough to keep outa trouble.”

OR maybe my favorite:

"Just because you aren’t happy now doesn’t mean you’re not going to be happy tomorrow."
Henry Fosdike
Dec 03, 2015 Henry Fosdike rated it liked it
Enjoyed this small town tale of a group of strangers trapped at a bus stop overnight during a blizzard. Written in the fifties, there are an awful lot more stage directions in here than you'd find in a modern play, but that's partly what makes the play come alive on the page. The characters are by now familiar (perhaps not then?) and the story doesn't exactly go for ambition. It's entertaining and enjoyable. A pleasant read.
Mike rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Taylor Skibbe
Feb 11, 2016 Taylor Skibbe rated it liked it
Predictable characters and tropes, but probably not for the time. I think it was supposed to be a comedy, but couldn't really tell; nothing popped out at me as especially funny.
Sep 13, 2016 Randi rated it it was ok
Very slow, wasn't too invested in the characters, and it has a lot of olden day ideology. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't my favorite.
  • Fifth of July
  • The Complete Plays
  • The Nerd
  • A Lie of the Mind
  • The Last Night of Ballyhoo
William Motter Inge was an American playwright and novelist, whose works typically feature solitary protagonists encumbered with strained sexual relations. In the early 1950s, he had a string of memorable Broadway productions, and one of these, Picnic, earned him a Pulitzer Prize. With his portraits of small-town life and settings rooted in the American heartland, Inge became known as the "Playwri ...more
More about William Inge...

“Oh, believe me. The greatest egos are those which are too egotistical to show just how egotistical they are.” 3 likes
“I been talkin' with my buddy, and he thinks I'm virgin enough fer the two of us.” 3 likes