Start by marking “Bus Stop” as Want to Read:
Bus Stop

Bus Stop

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  481 ratings  ·  21 reviews
In the middle of a howling snowstorm, a bus out of Kansas City pulls up at a cheerful roadside diner. All roads are blocked, and four or five weary travelers are going to have to hole up until morning. Cherie, a nightclub chanteuse in a sparkling gown and a seedy fur-trimmed jacket, is the passenger with most to worry about. She's been pursued, made love to and finally kid ...more
Published June 1st 1995 by Dramatists Play Service (first published January 1st 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Bus Stop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bus Stop

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William ShakespeareMrs. Dalloway by Virginia WoolfUlysses by James JoyceA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensA Single Man by Christopher Isherwood
A Single Day
40th out of 99 books — 42 voters
The Princess Bride by William GoldmanSend More Idiots by Tony Perez-GieseDon Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes SaavedraThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienCarry on, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
Sidekicks Carry The Story
55th out of 61 books — 41 voters

More lists with this book...

Brittney Cacace
Having both read and worked on this particular show, I have found I quite like this work.

Inge has done a marvelous job of creating characters that actors can create stories for to give more weight to the choices made through the play and enough subtext for readers to impress their own visions onto them. The experiences of seeing the play and reading it are two very different but rewarding things, both giving new depth to the way one can look and understand the characters.

For a show that takes
Bridgette Redman
A lot can happen in a single night. At least, that is what William Inge is able to convince us of in his three-act romance Bus Stop.

A cowboy can lose his belligerence. A young girl can learn of romance from an unexpected source. A nightclub chanteuse can discover domesticity and a drunken lecher can mend his ways. Even the owner of a roadside diner and a bus driver can find a touch of romance in lives spent mostly in getting left behind or in leaving others behind. At least, all these things can
Andrew
I wish this story could have had a little bit of a stronger ending. I don't know how I feel about the end, because I don't understand why one character made such a sudden switch. Up until then, I loved this play. It does a really good job at following multiple character relationships. I just wish the development of that ONE character was stronger, so I could understand her last decision.
Briana Alzola
As always when I read scripts, I wish I could see it done on stage, too. The characters in this no doubt come to life on stage. This show also makes you think: What would it be like if you were trapped with a bunch of strangers in a diner overnight?
George Miller
not sure. got to let it set in. possibly the original "Breakfast Club"
Andrew Pish
A sad comedy! It made me feel lonely.
Jane Mcneil
Wonderful play with universal themes and timeless characters. A flawless structure depicts each role with a succinct amount of dialogue. Inge's plays are some of my favorites because he has the ability to capture so much of human emotion with ingenious brevity.
Shandril
First of all, this is a play. So if you don't like to read scripts, pass this one up. The description of the story caught me because it reminded me of the Twilight Zone episode where a bus full of people get snowed in at a local eatery run by an alien. No such interesting things as interstellar warfare in "Bus Stop" though. Still, if taken into the context of the time it was written (1950's) you'll find this story an enjoyable quick read.
James
Christian
Some interesting characterization. Looks at what happens when some people are stranded in a bus stop/diner during a snow-storm. I could see putting it up, and I think it would entertain most audiences. Has at least three southern accents in it which is hard for me to deal with.
Arielle
It took me a while to get into it. I almost put it dow into the 1st act. I'm glad I didn't. By the second act, it had gotten interesting. It's really interesting to see how things change and what can happen in the span of 24 hours. It was cute.
Jeff
It has been a long time since I have read this play, and I had forgotten what a melancholy masterpiece this is. Inge does not get the credit he deserves when speaking of the ranks of great American playwrights.
Ann Canann
I played Cheri on stage for the Oakland Civic Theater. It is impossible to play such a delightful character without falling in love with the script.

Actors script
Also found in: paperback "William Inge Four Plays"
Melissa Neufer
My first and only lead role I've ever done! "I call myself, Cherie." Was a lot of fun. A great and funny love story with some memorable and touching moments. Definitely a classic and a great play!
Beth Devlin
I'm in rehearsals for this play. I'm playing the role of Elma, the high school student. The language is beautiful, and there is a lot of depth to this slice-of-life ensemble piece.
devin strauch
wonderful use of the time lock. great use of entrances and exits. the relationships were a little trite, but given the time that this was written, i can forgive it.
Jesse
Aug 30, 2013 Jesse rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: plays
Despite being sappy at times, William Inge is the master of the romantic comedy.
Raleighhunter
Didn't like it. Standard comments about people.
Duncan
It is not at all like the film of the same name.
Csrabb
This is an excellent short read.
Heidi
  • Bug
  • Deathtrap
  • I Hate Hamlet
  • Eleemosynary
William Motter Inge was an American playwright and novelist, whose works typically feature solitary protagonists encumbered with strained sexual relations. In the early 1950s, he had a string of memorable Broadway productions, and one of these, Picnic, earned him a Pulitzer Prize. With his portraits of small-town life and settings rooted in the American heartland, Inge became known as the "Playwri ...more
More about William Inge...
Picnic Four Plays: Come Back, Little Sheba / Picnic / Bus Stop / The Dark at the Top of the Stairs Come Back, Little Sheba Splendor in the Grass The Dark at the Top of the Stairs

“Oh, believe me. The greatest egos are those which are too egotistical to show just how egotistical they are.” 3 likes
“I been talkin' with my buddy, and he thinks I'm virgin enough fer the two of us.” 3 likes