Start by marking “10 Trick-or-Treaters” as Want to Read:
10 Trick-or-Treaters

10 Trick-or-Treaters

10 trick-or-treaters
on a dark and spooky night
out to get some candy
or give someone a fright.

Little do these ten trick-or-treaters know that they are the ones who will be frightened on Halloween night when a toad hops near, a skeleton tries to join their dance party, and a monster asks to share their candy.

This not-too-scary Halloween counting book features the bright, bold
Published July 22nd 2008 by Dragonfly Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about 10 Trick-or-Treaters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 10 Trick-or-Treaters

Katie Parker
Apr 10, 2013 Katie Parker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book gets 5 stars in our house! My twin toddlers come running when I start reading it aloud and especially love the different voices Mama does with the Halloween characters (witch, monster, ghost). A gift from a friend, this is a longtime favorite that is read all year long despite its obvious holiday theme. (It only failed on Christmas morning when Mama read it--after it was brought to her earnestly--with an attempt to change the characters to reindeer, elves, etc. One twin was angered by ...more
Michelle Warner
Oct 12, 2015 Michelle Warner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: 10 Trick-or-Treaters: A Halloween Counting Book
Author: Janet Schulman
Illustrator: Linda Davick
Genre: Counting
Theme(s): Halloween
Opening line/sentence: 10 trick-or-treaters on a dark and spooky night out to get some candy or give someone a fright.
Brief Book Summary: This festive counting book is set on Halloween night. The book begins with 10 trick-or-treaters, and decreases throughout the book all the way until there is none. With each page, the number decreases and it is told in clev
I read this in board book format and thought it was too advanced for babies. Yes, I think board books are for babies and paper-destructive toddlers. Otherwise they should be in regular hardcover or paperback formats. I would have really like the pictures to be bigger, but I liked the bold colors and simple illustration style.
In a bigger format, I would like to read this for a toddler or preschooler storytime. I think its a cute halloween non-story and could help kids who might be feeling appreh
Dec 28, 2015 Ava rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
10 Trick-or-Treaters is a festive picture book that's just as enjoyable as it is cute. The rhyming verses give the book a fun beat and the artwork, especially the characters' costumes, is adorable. I'm quite a bit past the target audience for this book, but it was a fun little break from work for Halloween.
Rosa Cline
Sep 26, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, halloween
This was a fun Halloween counting book to share with a favorite child. You can read it outloud with the fun rhyming text; or a child could read it on their own and learn to count backward as they enjoy the fun illustrations and story.
I have a pretty big soft spot for anything that has to do with Halloween. I just love that holiday. This is a counting down book which is fine and I think kids would enjoy it, especially if they love Halloween like me!
Jan 02, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a treat

What a fun book! The rhyme, the counting, the illustrations....
All combine together for a wonderful Halloween read. Children will shriek with laughter.
Ashley Whiteley
This is such a fun counting book. It is simple and easy to read. I think that it would be perfect for children around kindergarten age. They would be able to easily understand it.
Cute little counting book. My son enjoyed the photos and loved the way it counted down to one trick or treater.

I'd give it a solid 4 stars.
Sugimasa Aoki
Christy Wilhelm
Sep 15, 2014 Christy Wilhelm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome and fun read

we love reading this book at halloween time or whenever to our 4 year old son
he loves it too
Jun 16, 2015 Libby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness. This one gets a five for the sheer amount of enjoyment my kids have gotten out of it. I don't know if it's the colorful Halloween pictures, the rhyme, the counting down (which my kindergartner was especially attuned to) or what, but they LOVED this and we read it OVER and OVER, and even had to keep it out an extra week.

Basically, it follows 10 trick-or-treaters on their Halloween, and the numbers dwindle as one trick-or-treater is scared off on each page. There's nothing really v
Christine Gaskins
A count down from 10 story.
I liked the colors and the pictures were cute.
My five year old son seemed to think it was ok.
Oct 13, 2015 Calye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute...excepting that something seems to be eating trick or treaters. :-) (shrug) Cute.
Nov 10, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great read aloud. rhyming. woohoo!
Will be doing reviews this weekend
Jul 14, 2014 Tam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: halloween
A simple counting book that follows 10 trick-or-treaters throughout the night as one-by-one they are scared off by monsters. The book serves its purpose, getting students to practice counting. The last page is a counting page with pieces of candy to help count to 10.

The illustrations look computer generated with children who have giant round heads, a la South Park. There are a lot of pastel colors despite the spooky night's setting.
we actually read this for the first time a few years ago, but we read it again this year because it is one of our favorites. It is a fun Halloween counting book with a cute story and adorable and colorful illustrations.
Sep 12, 2012 Jameisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a cute book. I loved all the color in the illustrations and the different costumes the kids in the book had on. I liked the fact that instead of counting up it counted down, which could be used to show easy subtraction. This would be a fun read during Halloween, and could even be acted out by the kids in a classroom with pictures or themselves.
10 trick-or-treaters go out on Halloween night and then disappear one by one until there are none. The final page also has ten rows of candy, allowing the reader to pratice counting further.

This is an excellent non-scary Halloween selection as all the ghosts and ghouls are sweetly drawn with happy smiles.
Mar 19, 2014 Catie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: march
I liked this book because the pictures were really good and this could also be used for a holiday book. I would want this book in my classroom because of all the ways I could incorporate this book into my teaching. Overall, I really liked the book because of how it counts from ten and the fun pictures.
A counting book in which trick-or-treaters meet with spooky fates until there's only 1 trick-or-treater left dreaming of Halloween treats. This rhyming countdown covers numbers 1-10 and includes all the familiar faces that surface during Halloween (vampires, witches, mummies etc). PreK-2.
Literacy Group
This is a great Halloween book about 10 children going out trick or treating. As the night goes on, one by one they are scared away by different things that go bump in the night. Great counting book!

Grade Kindergarden
Oct 08, 2009 Kai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun story with good rhythm (similar to 5 Silly Turkeys). My only complaint is with the animations that are a little confusing, and not too easy to count. Otherwise, excellent characters and fun story.
Jenn Meyer
Sep 15, 2012 Jenn Meyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This would be a book for younger readers. It is a counting book that goes through 10. The bright colors and cute characters are very eye catching. Definitely a great book for the month of October!
Dec 12, 2012 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this in order to experience a picture book in e-book format. The story is cute and follows the traditional countdown format. It would be great to use for a story time. In e-book format? Meh...
Chelsea Bashore
I was looking for a nice Halloween book to use for a lesson plan, and this was perfect! Granted, the rhymes are a little weird.. but I think it works.
The little miss is crazy for this book. We checked it out three days ago, and we've all ready read it 15 times or more.
Amy Carr
Oct 05, 2008 Amy Carr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
A Halloween classic in our house! Fun rhyming text and great illustrations. Even my "older" boys love the book!
  • Pumpkin Eye