Start by marking “Colditz: The Definitive History: The Untold Story of World War II's Great Escapes” as Want to Read:

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Breathtaking and mesmerizing, Colditz is a gripping tale of perseverance, heroism, and adventure. Filled with the thrilling never-before-told personal stories of the prisoners of war held within the walls of this medieval fortress turned German high-security prison camp, Colditz offers endlessly intriguing stories of consummate survivors who proved the human spirit to be i ...more
Published January 21st 2003 by Harper Perennial (first published August 9th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Colditz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Colditz

Cindy
Amazing story of those obstinate fighters who will keep trying to escape. Good background information, pictures, and even reenacted photos. It shows the great lengths everyone in the prisoner of war camp went to help each other keep trying to escape even when it was a crazy idea. I really liked that there was a "gentleman's" code to some agreements and that the former prisoners helped 2 of their former guards who were OK (fair minded under the circumstances) Some adult subjects, mild cursing spr ...more
Amy
I actually had never heard of Colditz until stumbling across this book; which surprised me because I've read many other WWII escape stories, both fiction and non-fiction. I found this book to be very detailed and interesting, right down to the last page. Although the many names and nationalities could be confusing at times, the author did a good job of describing the characters and reminding the reader of who each person was and what they accomplished.
The sheer number of escape attempts amazed m
Carmen
Chronicles the many escapes from the castle of Colditz which was used as a prison for officers during World War II. The most ingenious one had to be making a glider to fly out of the window.
Titanic Buff
Colditz was suppose to be one if World War II's escape proof prisons. Yet that did little to dampen the spirits of the Allied prisoners. Escape after escape took place, with a few successes.

I wouldn't say this is the definitive history of Colditz but it id entertaining. Chancellor provides readers with plenty of information, allowing them to view the story from both captor's and prisoner's point of view. The humour of prisoners along with their antics will also be sure to produce a few chuckles
Mohamed Gaml
Amazing....Just absolutely amazing great work by Henry Chancellor.
Jake
I found this book years ago in a library. It was an amazing book about the incredible escapes and attempted escapes of the men in the most fortified POW camp in Germany. Unfortunately I forgot the name of the book and I have spent a long time trying to remember it. Finally I found it. I hope to buy it soon. I strongly recommend this book, especially if you like history related books.
Megan Laney
Arduous read, but AMAZING tails of a little known group of Allied P.O.W.'s held in the inescapable German Colditz Castle. Essentially, this was the prison for the cunning soldiers who'd already escaped (some multiple times) other prisons. The lengths and antics gone to by these soldiers to try and escape Colditz are hilarious and ingenious.
Taylor
Colditz recounts Allied escape attempts from a high profile POW prison in Germany during WW2. The anecdotes -often hilarious - inspire the reader through the ingenuity and hope of the prisoners. As a reader who tends to prefer fiction, I was surprised to finish this book in record time. It's that good.
Joe martillaro
GREAT WORLD WAR II DRAMA THAT OF COURSE IS A TRUE STORY. ANY WAR BUFF WOULD LOVE IT. IT IS SET IN A TIME WHEN THE SOLDIERS ON ALL SIDES RESPECTED EACH OTHER AND THERE WAS STILL A CODE AMONG MEN. DARING ESCAPES, INTERESTING cast AND of course everyones favorite bad guys.
Laura Walmer
loved it. it, again, is a history of the colditz castle POW camp during WW2. I bought it for Brian for Christmas and loved reading it with him. Amazing the crazy stuff people resorted to. still had some sad parts, of course.
Dave
Loved this book! It was an exciting read and fortunately about a POW camp in Germany that adherred to the Geneva Convention guidelines, so instead of reading of horror and tragedy, it read like Hogan's Heros.
Steve
Interesting book on the daring escapes by British POW's from Colditz castle in Germany during World War II. This was used as an prison and many escaped. One by a glider.
diana
Mar 24, 2007 diana marked it as to-read
Paul is reading this one currently (when he has the opportunity). So I'll read it after he's done, or before he finishes, since I read more often than he does.
Frances
Anyone interested in WWII will find this a fascinating, often humorous, and poignant read. The sheer determination of these men is inspiring.
Bob
Sep 03, 2007 Bob rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: WWII History buffs
Great read about one of the most difficult German prisoner camps to escape from in WWII. Very well written and hard to put down!
Joe
I really enjoyed this book, it is full of daring, true to life escapes from WWII.
Jack
Awesome, amazing read!!
Triste
Triste is currently reading it
May 28, 2015
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Tinybones
Tinybones marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Pat Johnson
Pat Johnson marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Hamish Davidson
Hamish Davidson marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Mark Cairns
Mark Cairns marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Pablo Sabatini
Pablo Sabatini marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Lynnette
Lynnette marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
  • I Was a Child of Holocaust Survivors
  • The Miracle of Dunkirk
  • Abandon Ship!: The Saga of the U.S.S. Indianapolis, the Navy's Greatest Sea Disaster
  • The Colditz Story (Cassell Military Paperbacks)
  • Secret Germany: Stauffenberg & the True Story of Operation Valkyrie
  • History of the Second World War
  • Wolfram: The Boy Who Went to War
  • Nazis and the Occult: The Dark Forces Unleashed by the Third Reich
  • The Perfect Nazi: Uncovering My Grandfather's Secret Past and How Hitler Seduced a Generation
  • Zen at War
  • Churchill's Wizards: The British Genius For Deception 1914–1945
  • Don't Shoot, It's Only Me: Bob Hope's Comedy History of the United States
  • Black Edelweiss
  • Dunkirk: Fight To The Last Man
Henry Chancellor is the author of the highly acclaimed Colditz: The Definetive History and James Bond - The Man and His World: The Official Companion To Ian Flemming's Creation. His remarkable television series, Escape From Colditz, won sweeping praise and has been shown all over the world. His documentaries for television include The Great Belzoni, Millenium and Commando.

The Museum's Secret was
More about Henry Chancellor...
The Museum's Secret (The Remarkable Adventures of Tom Scatterhorn, Book 1) The Hidden World (The Remarkable Adventures of Tom Scatterhorn: Book 2) James Bond: The Man And His World: The Official Companion To Ian Fleming's Creation The Forgotten Echo (The Remarkable Adventures of Tom Scatterhorn, # 3) Quantum of Solace: The Complete James Bond Short Stories