Start by marking “Running the Spiritual Path: A Runner's Guide to Breathing, Meditating, and Exploring the Prayerful Dimension of the Sport” as Want to Read:

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  54 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Imagine achieving physical fitness and spiritual growth simultaneously. Roger Joslin's step-by-step program is an engaging exploration of the truth that spiritual well-being is as likely to happen while running, as it is within the more traditional settings of neighborhood churches, synagogues, or mosques. Through awareness, chants, and visualization, and through attention ...more
Published June 1st 2004 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Running the Spiritual Path, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running the Spiritual Path

Kelly Clark
Feb 03, 2014 Kelly Clark rated it liked it
As someone who loves to run and have often used running as a way to connect with God through prayer and my random thoughts, I was excited to read this book in hopes of connecting with somone who shared this same passion. After reading this book I realized that I either do not take the "sacredness" of running seriously enough or Mr. Joslin takes it much more seriously than I. I personally don't believe every single run has to lead to some unique encounter with God even though it's nice when it do ...more
Gretchen
Jun 27, 2012 Gretchen rated it liked it
Not the most cogent prose, but a good junk drawer full of spirituality of running treasures, if you're willing to root around among the figurative old bottle caps and too short pencils. I have picked up a few good running and prayer-while-running techniques from this book, but he gets a bit full of himself and sometimes I read a paragraph and say afterwards, "Hunh?"

Definitely a book to read to get you to think about the spiritual possibilities in running. For me, the two best concepts I have in
Steve
Aug 16, 2010 Steve rated it really liked it
Joslin does a nice job of tying meditation to running. The book is hardly perfect. It's overwritten, overly personal, and isn't very well organized. But it's one of the few things I've read that really makes an effort to fuse sitting meditation to running. If you're willing to weed through the ideas, it's actually a pretty good book.

I actually plan on ordering a copy to keep around.

Worth noting: Jenny hated this book with a passion.
patricia
Aug 10, 2007 patricia rated it it was ok
so far it's been an easy read, and i'm eager to try out the breathing and focusing techniques to see if they improve either the speed or quality of my runs. obviously the book is very god heavy, but he pulls from all the major religions for his mantras and meditation techniques, so it feels more scholarly than priestly.
Kelly B
Nov 20, 2011 Kelly B rated it really liked it
I've tried numerous times to enjoy running, and truthfully I probably will never truly enjoy it. This book does introduce a spiritual approach to running which is inspiring, and I'll try to apply some of the methods mentioned in the book.
Jud Young
Aug 12, 2011 Jud Young rated it liked it
Intersting subject but not well organized. Mainly a random collection of the author's personal journal entries...
Susan Zizza Maguire
Feb 26, 2012 Susan Zizza Maguire rated it it was ok
The author's full of himself, frankly, but I loved the inspirational quoted that kicked off each narcissistic chapter.
MaryAddison
Jul 06, 2008 MaryAddison rated it really liked it
I'm not running now, but when I was, this was a good read.
Two Readers in Love
Two Readers in Love rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Jacqueline Elliott
Jacqueline Elliott marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Trevor Spangle
Trevor Spangle is currently reading it
Dec 28, 2015
Ted Resnikoff
Ted Resnikoff rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2015
Vitalmommy
Vitalmommy marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Jennifer Abeler
Jennifer Abeler rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2015
Cathy Johnson
Cathy Johnson rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2015
Mark Russell
Mark Russell rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2015
Veronica
Veronica rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2015
Gregory Williams
Gregory Williams marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Trippe Hawthorne
Trippe Hawthorne rated it it was ok
Apr 29, 2015
J. David  Knecht
J. David Knecht rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2015
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was ok
Feb 24, 2015
Justin
Justin rated it it was ok
Feb 15, 2015
M
M rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2015
Deb Breen
Deb Breen rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Lindsay Parsell
Lindsay Parsell rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2014
Billy Walkup
Billy Walkup marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014