Start by marking “Hitting the Sweet Spot: How Consumer Insights Can Inspire Better Marketing and Adv.” as Want to Read:

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  81 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
This book will help you and your business move from information to insight to inspiration.
Published August 15th 1997 by Copy Workshop

To ask other readers questions about Hitting the Sweet Spot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hitting the Sweet Spot

Graham Lipsman
The first half of the book presents some helpful mental models for approaching brand and consumer insights in tandem. After that there's a digression into some concepts revolving around the ad industry itself and the specific jobs therein. That part was less relevant to me, and therefore far less interesting. Check out the first part and leave the rest unless you're in the industry.
Melissa
Jan 07, 2012 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biz-money-econ
There are some very solid concepts presented here, but the book itself is such an eyesore (huge, dopey-looking type in cheesy, conflicting fonts) that I was having a hard time taking it seriously. Also, so many of the examples are ridiculously out-of-date (videodiscs?!) that I found myself detaching. I'd recommend Luke Sullivan's Squeeze This, Whipple for a much more contemporary and fun-to-read book that hits many of the same topics presented here, and more.
Spencer Colvin
Jan 24, 2014 Spencer Colvin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The concepts in this book are on a have-to-know basis for those in the advertising profession, however the book is not a must-read and is considerably dated.
Kim
May 31, 2015 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: industry
This book came recommended as part of a marketing insights seminar. There was a bunch of good advice, which mostly states the obvious, but would be a good read if one is not familiar with insights.
Outsource Marketing /
This is a very simple book describing a fairly complex idea, and it was one of the texts I used when I instructed the Integrated Marketing Communications course at the University of Washington.

I'd score it higher if the text and illustrations weren't so large. I wonder if this would be an e-book if published today.

But still, durn good thinking here!
Tim Calkins
Aug 07, 2012 Tim Calkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Understanding customer insights is incredibly important. This is the best book I've read on the topic. Lisa does a terrific job of highlighting the role of insight, how to identify one and how to use one.
Rodrigo
Aug 06, 2011 Rodrigo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic! A little bit out-of-date, but easy-to-read, inspiring, insightful, full of knowledge and expertise, and really enlighting for anyone who may want to work in the advertising business.
Alyse
Mar 19, 2012 Alyse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really simple and clear book---easy and fun read... if you are into advertising and learning to do it better. I read it for my account planning class.
Tanya Flores
Apr 25, 2009 Tanya Flores rated it liked it
Recommends it for: advertising majors looking for fluff.
Very clear and appallingly easy to read for a supposed text book. The typeface is gigantic, and a huge turn off. The organization is a bit unclear.
Chip Miller
Oct 14, 2008 Chip Miller rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
This is an Account Planning handbook/workbook. The author provides a clear method for identifying the 'sweet spot' of the market.

Kate Zirkle
Mar 10, 2008 Kate Zirkle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-related
Great book with great insight. This is probably the core of my knowledge on marketing and advertising.
Deanna Schetselaar
Refreshing in simplicity of a complex matter. Finding the consumer insight never seemed so reachable.
Steve Coscia
Dec 28, 2009 Steve Coscia rated it liked it
This book helped me zoom in my customer's sweet spot. Wonderful insight.
Trangneu
Apr 12, 2009 Trangneu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
excellent book about customer insight
Ivan
Ivan rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Travis
Travis rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2016
Osama Ali
Osama Ali marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Fakebook
Fakebook marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Stacey
Stacey rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2016
Mark Klapper
Mark Klapper rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Seth
Seth marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Djuana Stoakley
Djuana Stoakley rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Jared Hansen
Jared Hansen rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2015