Start by marking “The Story Blanket” as Want to Read:
The Story Blanket

The Story Blanket

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  151 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
In a tiny village in the snow-covered mountains, the children love to visit Babba Zarrah and sit on her big, old story blanket to listen to her imaginative tales. One day she notices one of the children needs new socks, but she has no yarn. Soon afterward, the story blanket gets smaller as villagers receive warm gifts. Full color.
Published September 1st 2008 by Peachtree Publishers (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Story Blanket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story Blanket

Linda
This is a sweet story of giving and kindness. Children in a village visit Babba Zarrah to sit on her huge story blanket and listen to her stories. She notices more than one need among her neighbors, like socks, a warm scarf, etc. and suddenly the blanket has become smaller, and smaller still! The villagers return the favor with their own kindness. It's a parable of course, filled with happiness and illustrations that make you smile.
Emila Yusof
Jul 27, 2015 Emila Yusof rated it it was amazing
Written by by Ferida Wolff and Harriet May Savitz, The Story Blanket tells a story about a storyteller, Babba Zarrah, who lives in a tiny village in the snow-covered mountains.

Children love to visit her and settle down on her big, old story blanket and listen to her stories. One day Babba Zarrah notices that Nikolai needs new socks, but she has no yarn but after thinking hard while having tea, she knew what to do; she just has to unravels part of her story blanket and knits him some nice warm so
Samantha Ferrari
Oct 14, 2012 Samantha Ferrari rated it it was amazing
LOVE LOVE LOVE this book! What an amazing book for children this is. This book shows what it is to have character, and having character is super important for me. I liked this book so much I may change it for my story book showcase! I loved how in the end after the people and children of the town gave Babba a new blanket, she noticed someone else need something sewn so.....

Learning Experience: Do you have character?
Molly
Great book and it makes me feel happy. It doesn't really have anything to do with Christmas, but I have used it in storytimes to convey the spirit of the seasons.
Heather
Feb 09, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
beautiful illustrations
Leanne Hooper
Jan 25, 2014 Leanne Hooper rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful illustrated story about generosity.
Tasha
Sep 09, 2008 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Babba Zarrah tells children in her small village stories on her wonderful patchwork blanket. When she notices that one of the children has a hole in her shoe, she decides to knit a pair of warm socks. But with all of the snow, no one can bring yarn to the village. Within a few sips of her tea, Babba Zarrah has figured out exactly what to do. Each day she notices new uses for the yarn in her blanket. Brightly colored knit gifts are showing up all over the village but no one knows where they are c ...more
Amanda
Apr 10, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Madam and I so enjoyed this; I grabbed it because the cover caught me, and it was really the illustrations that kept me throughout the book--all the quirky, humorous little details on every page--Madam especially appreciated the dog ;) I loved the tree in Babba Zarrah's house, with the children's shoes up in it in the beginning, and later in the end, with the child up in it. On every spread, there was some detail, something to examine closely and wonder over. (Check out Babba Zarrah's "garden.") ...more
Karen
Sep 29, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The book reminded me of the biblical quote “Give and you shall receive.” It describes an admirable woman who is a well-known story teller in her village, loved by the children who come and sit on her story blanket so she can fill them with wonderful stories. The caring woman privately takes it upon herself to cloth some village people who are in need. She knits socks, scarves, mittens, sweaters, blankets, etc…

The story blanket that created happy times for the children disappears because she is
Beth
Feb 12, 2009 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
All the kids of an isolated village sit on Babba Zarrah's story blanket to hear her stories. The blanket gets smaller and smaller as Babba uses the wool to make needed items for the villagers until she no longer has a blanket. Once the village learns who is giving away these items, they unravel portions of their own blankets to give her enough yarn to make another blanket. The kids have a blanket again to sit on for her stories. And once again, Babba sees a need and starts to unravel her blanket ...more
Shelley
Nov 15, 2014 Shelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: age-4
Love the simple story of giving of her blanket to people in her village in need. It shows thoughtfulness and love freely given. And the community gives back. It would be a great story for a main lesson about service and unity....maybe for a winter knitting service project for kids or something.
Kara Decarlo
Dec 09, 2015 Kara Decarlo rated it it was amazing
This book is a delight through and through. The play between text and illustration is well done, and the Gorey-esque people with their brightly colored clothing is just plain fun.
Carolynne
Oct 21, 2011 Carolynne rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This delightful picture book, about an elderly woman who uses bits of her story blanket to help out the needy people of the village, has the feel of a European folktale. However, there is no author's or illustrator's note to give any sources or describe the media used. (The illustrations appear to be watercolor and ink.) Lest you think the endlessly sharing nature of the main character leads to a one-sided story like _The Giving Tree_, the villagers are inspired to return her favors. It could be ...more
Cornelia
Jun 03, 2016 Cornelia rated it really liked it
Shelves: community, sharing
The story of how the village story teller shares her story blanket with the whole village and how they share with her.
Aileen
Jun 21, 2016 Aileen rated it it was amazing
Beautiful touching story. Fun and original illustrations.
One of my favorite picture books ever.
Marissa García
May 05, 2014 Marissa García rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytelling
Beautifully told and illustrated.
Liza Gilbert
Aug 10, 2009 Liza Gilbert rated it it was amazing
What a lovely story. A woman who doesn't have much beyond her handmade story blanket, wants to help a neighor who needs warm socks. She unravels part of her blanket and knits him socks. The woman continues to find people (and animals) in need, and knits until her blanket is gone. The neighbors help her in return by bringing her yarn for a new blanket. The art by Odriozola is magnificent in its simplicity, and I will now look for other works by her in the future. Beautiful.
Jane G Meyer
May 28, 2013 Jane G Meyer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love this book! A tale of Babba Zarrah, a woman with a great heart for others, who secretly unravels her story blanket so she can clothe and help those around her. Not only is the storytelling wonderful--the words themselves, but the illustrations are magnificent--so simple, elegant, directing your mind and eye to just the right images--yet each image holds such texture and depth.

(I would pretty please like for Miss Elena Odriozola to illustrate one of my unpublished books...)
Mckinley
Aug 28, 2014 Mckinley rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, craft
Great story about caring and community.
JustOneMoreBook.com
Dec 16, 2008 JustOneMoreBook.com rated it it was amazing
Sparingly sprinkled with plump, porcelain people, folky knitwear and hushed good will, this gentle tale of creativity and compassion feels just like a cozy winter classic.

You can listen in on our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.
Andrea
Nov 10, 2011 Andrea rated it really liked it
What a nice story about an old woman who has a blanket that she unravels to help her neighbors. Then the neighbors unravel their blankets (only a small part of each) to help her make a new blanket. How helping others comes back to benefit you in the end. Good story for the Holiday season when we remember others who don't have what we do.
Apr 21, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books, htl
Ok, Annie hasn't been able to sit still for a whole book reading in months (she's just interested in other things right now), but I love this one and I know she'll like it someday. Sweet story, sweet illustrations. With all kinds of things I like: knitting, blankets, wool, storytelling, and a moral. I heartily recommend.
Bree
May 01, 2014 Bree rated it liked it
Notes:
very similar to The Mitten Tree -- old woman secretly giving to the children and they secretly pay her back and the reciprocal giving keeps on going; art is fun and the kids really liked it
Amy
Mar 24, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing
Ahhh, Peachtree, my old stomping grounds! Picked this up at the library, then realized it was a Peachtree book. Art/characters/story feel Eastern European, I love the illustrations as well as the story of giving without reserve and unexpectedly receiving gifts in return.
MissInformation
Feb 27, 2009 MissInformation rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
A story of generosity. Babba Zarrah the storyteller unravels her story blanket to make the people of the village needed items. When they gather together, they realize her gift and show their gratitude.
Sweet, with spare, colorful illustrations. Nice for ages 2 and up.
Cynthia
Feb 09, 2009 Cynthia rated it it was ok
A sweet little children's book -- but why is a book that is all about KNITTING illustrated with PATCHWORK? The whole business of unraveling and reknitting makes no sense if you are looking at the pictures.
Tara
Jan 27, 2009 Tara rated it really liked it
sweet story. The eleven-year-old said the story was nice but the people were creepy looking. I have to admit that I'm not loving the illustrations either, although I liked the bright colors and pale backgrounds.
Janet
Dec 11, 2014 Janet rated it really liked it
A good story about seeing need and giving with what you have and your talent. Loved all the use of the white space in the illustrations which made one'e eye focus on the people of the community.
Laura Rogers
Dec 05, 2009 Laura Rogers rated it it was amazing
Lovely book. I will share this one with my children. Sharing, being a community, taking care of others, and good deeds come back to you...all in the same charming story.
Danielle
Mar 25, 2015 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Oh those illustrations!!
And the story, too, a beautiful one about kindness and even logic, which means in a way it's about story itself.. :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Half A World Away
  • The Bunyip of Berkeley's Creek
  • Pants
  • Noni The Pony
  • Augustus and His Smile
  • Banana
  • Secret Seahorse (Hide-And-Seek Books)
  • Six Crows
  • Dirty Bertie
  • The Little Red Fish
  • My Mom
  • Blue Chameleon
  • Stella, Star of the Sea
  • One Is a Snail, Ten Is a Crab: A Counting by Feet Book
  • I Love You, Blue Kangaroo!
  • That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • Penguin