Start by marking “No Second Chance” as Want to Read:
No Second Chance

No Second Chance

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  18,976 Ratings  ·  1,055 Reviews
When the first bullet hit my chest, I thought of my daughter...

Dr. Marc Seidman has been shot twice, his wife has been murdered, and his six-month-old daughter has been kidnapped. When he gets the ransom note-he knows he has only one chance to get this right. But there is nowhere he can turn and no one he can trust.

Mass Market Paperback, 452 pages
Published April 27th 2004 by Dutton (first published 2003)

Tell No One by Harlan CobenThe Woods by Harlan CobenGone for Good by Harlan CobenHold Tight by Harlan CobenJust One Look by Harlan Coben
Favorite Harlan Coben
10th out of 25 books — 170 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieAngels & Demons by Dan BrownRebecca by Daphne du MaurierIn Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Best Crime & Mystery Books
425th out of 5,389 books — 11,963 voters

More lists with this book...

Mandy Blair Crider
Another fantastic page turner from Coben. This novel had such thrilling moments that I found myself totally and completely immersed in it and in complete Coben tradition, a 180 hits you at the end which I love. Great book! Coben is a must read author!!!!!!
Yulia
Mar 17, 2016 Yulia rated it it was ok
Shelves: criminal-intent
I know some may think Harlan Coben beneath them, but let me explain why I find myself enjoying his books: First, I'm tired as heck of books where nothing happens but blushes hidden and a cough of disapproval. Second, I always had a fondness for books on killers (not to understand myself, but the opposite, I assure you). Third, I agree with most of Coben's values, like this snippet from No Second Chance:

"Edgar belongs to that unique class of the entitled who have deluded themselves into believin
Lucy
Mar 10, 2009 Lucy rated it it was ok
I have mixed feelings about Harlan Coben. The first novel I read of his was part of the Myron Bolitar series and I so seriously disliked Myron and his sarcastic ways that I dismissed Cobens' books completely.

Then, a long airplane ride forced me to reconsider and I found myself enjoying his Tell No One. Smart, complicated and a likable protagonist (a far cry from Myron).

No Second Chance falls between the two ends of the spectrum, but closer to the good end. As I've learned is his usual set-up, hi
Love Fool
Jul 14, 2015 Love Fool rated it it was amazing

Okay, so this book is a little "can't happen in real life" but Harlan Coben is such an incredible writer that you kinda forget it and just let yourself be sucked in.
Alex
Mar 26, 2013 Alex rated it it was amazing
NO SECOND CHANCE (Pub. 2003) by Harlan Coben kept me turning the pages right up until the end. The story kicks off with a bang and gave me no choice but to read on because I had to find out what would happen next.

Marc Seidman wakes up in the hospital, recovering from surgery to remove a bullet lodged in his chest during a home invasion. He quickly finds out that his wife was also shot and killed, and his infant daughter has been kidnapped. Seidman is desperate to find his daughter but his search
Mary JL
Feb 08, 2012 Mary JL rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of mysteries and thrillers
Shelves: mystery-horror
Dr. Marc Seidman wakes up in a hospital after 12 days. He had been shot and left for dead; his wife was killed and their six month old daughter,Tara, is missing.

When he gets a ransom note, he is desperate to save his daughter's life. Tara's grandfather, who is quite wealthy, puts up $2 million and Marc attempts the swap. It is not sucessufl and Marc feels he has lost it all.

Then , 18 months later, he DOES get a second chance--despite the title--and this time he decides not to involve the police.
Angie
May 11, 2016 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, suspense
4.5 stars...

"...I had said it before: I would lay down my life in a second to protect my daughter. And truth be told, if push came to shove, I would lay down yours too..."

This is my first read of a Harlan Coben book. I admit I was impressed! A coworker suggested him to me when we were discussing our favorite books & authors last week. She had glowing praise for him, so I located a book quickly and got started. Within a very short amount of time, I was hooked and wanted to keep on reading.

As
LATOYA SAUNDERS
Jan 14, 2016 LATOYA SAUNDERS rated it liked it
Harlan Coben does a great job of giving his characters interesting professions and portraying them well. There's enough detail to make you think he was a plastic surgeon in a past life.
This novel was funny but the support characters are a little unbelievable. At one time or another three of them lend the protagonist their cars, one of which had just met him.
Nevertheless it is the same page turning thriller that this best selling author is famous for.
Dana
Apr 01, 2012 Dana rated it really liked it
Dr. Marc Seidman has been shot, his wife murdered and his baby daughter kidnapped. When Marc is finally ready to go home from the hospital his wealthy, priggish father-in-law summons him to see the ransom note.

Seidman goes against instructions and involves the police and things go terribly wrong. Marc soon finds himself turned upside down in an attempt to try and find his daughter.

Just when you think you have it figured out the story hits another bump and twist and you start all over. A great se
Stephen Clynes
Oct 01, 2014 Stephen Clynes rated it it was amazing

This story is NOT hot off the press as Harlan wrote this novel in 2003. Does this 391 page crime thriller seem out of date, reading it 11 years after it was first published? NO! this book is a stonking good read and it DOES NOT show it's age. What you get is a first class read that fully entertains you from start to finish. No Second Chance is a FULL story will loads of detail and lots of tw
Muddypuddles
May 12, 2014 Muddypuddles rated it did not like it
I have read a fair few of Harlan Coben's books, and they certainly keep me turning the pages. The trouble is, they're a bit like McDonalds burgers: you really fancy one, but after you've finished it you feel unsatisfied and a bit empty. Doesn't stop you fancying another one though.

This book was a real HC by numbers, although thank God it didn't have that godawful Hester Crimstein in it. All the other usual plot lines were there though: the teenage love affair that cast a long shadow over all fut
Adam
Mar 23, 2009 Adam rated it it was ok
Samantha
Jul 24, 2013 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No Second Chance was everything that I expected it to be. It was fast paced, page turning action that constantly left me wondering what could possibly happen next. This is my third book by Coben and although it wasn't my favorite (that still remains as my first read Tell No One by Coben) it was a solid second.

In this book Dr. Marc Seidman wakes up from a coma to realize that he has lost everything. His infant daughter has disappeared and his wife is dead. The worst part of all is that all of Ma
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Yeah, Coben's stories are a little formulaic and predictable, but I love them nonetheless. They are exciting and fast reads. I like the earlier ones better than the more recent, and No Second Chance is one of my favorites.

"He earned his money the old fashioned way: He inherited it. The more things were handed to you on a silver platter, the more you complain about welfare mothers and government handouts. He belongs to that unique class of the entitled who have deluded themselves into believing t
Barbra
Aug 16, 2009 Barbra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always like Coben's books. Good thriller and good plot.

Back Cover Blurb:
'When the first bullet hit my chest, I thought of my daughter'.....Marc Seidman wakes up in ICU to find his wife has been murdered and his baby daughter, Tara, has vanished. Then something arrives to give Marc new hope: a ransom note. 'We are watching. If you contact the authorities you will never see your daughter again. There will be no second chance'.
The note is chilling, but Marc sees only one thing: the chance to save
Carrie Straka
Mar 23, 2011 Carrie Straka rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, read-in-2011
This book wasn't my favorite Coben book. I really enjoyed it at first, but then it just started to drag.

The thing that really bothered me about this one was that the main character Marc Seidman has the same name as a main character in Coben's first book, Play Dead. In a letter to readers at the beginning of Play Dead, Coben mentions that sometimes he borrowed details from Play Dead and used them in other books.

I didn't like that, because it seems like writers should not use the same name for c
Guilherme
Aug 10, 2014 Guilherme rated it really liked it
Shelves:
No Second Chance is a typical mystery by Harlan Coben. As some books that I read from him, this book involves a crime and it happened with a family. Although we can guess some scenes, his books are always very interesting. One example is the beginning of the book, which the character, Dr. Seidman, woke up on a bed of hospital with his wife murdered his daughter vanished. This event was definitely the first major event of the story.

His house was attacked, and he was bulled twice. Because of this
Carol
Mar 27, 2016 Carol rated it it was amazing
No Second Chance by Harlan Coben From The Book Cover:
"When the first bullet hit my chest, I thought of my daughter..."

My Thoughts:
Many times in thrillers, once you know how it ends, you tend to think the characters should have known it sooner or done something differently. Not
Lanie
Apr 09, 2014 Lanie rated it it was amazing
This book took me completely by surprise. I rated it high because of its superior story notes on so many levels. First of all, if you have children, this story will tug at your heartstrings. Marc Seidman wakes up in a hospital to find out that 12 days earlier, his wife was killed and his 6 month old daughter has disappeared. You don't have to work too hard to put yourself in his shoes. So I got into this one right away. I remember what my babies were like at 6 months, and I was panicked just thi ...more
Holly
Aug 08, 2013 Holly rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
This book started off a little slow for me. Once it picked up though, it grabbed me and wouldn't let go. That's what I'm finding out about Mr. Coben's books, he takes you on a whirlwind ride and spins you around until you are dizzy with intense anticipation to find out what the heck is going on. He's becoming a fast favorite of mystery/suspense novels to read for me.
Lorie Eckert
Here is the synopsis of this story per the back of the book: “Shot twice by an unseen assailant, Dr. Marc Seidman lies in a hospital bed. His wife has been killed. His six-month-old daughter, Tara, has vanished. But then a ransom note arrives, giving him one chance to save her.” As mysteries go, this was a good one, but the problem is, I don’t really like mysteries. All the twists and turns in such books get lost in my brain. By book’s end I know whodunit but not much else. Such is the case with ...more
Heather Lyle
Mar 01, 2016 Heather Lyle rated it really liked it
I was right!!! Had my suspicions about a certain character and turned out to be right.
Aishie
May 16, 2016 Aishie rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016-reads
Two stars is probably an extremely generous rating for this book, but parts of it were good enough to warrant me to keep reading so I could find out what on earth was going on. But the writing, some of the plot fillers, the overall explanation of what went on, and the introduction of some outlandishly heroic characters that were just implausible, made this an uncomfortable read. The last third of the book was rushed home with ridiculous plot points, some very weak links between characters and ov ...more
Eadie
Mar 28, 2016 Eadie rated it really liked it
Harlan Coben's books are always very entertaining and this one was no different. With lots of quirky characters, interesting plot and fine writing, this book was an enjoyable read. I do have one complaint in regards to a character's behavior acting in what I thought was a bit unbelievable but you have to read it for yourself and see what you think. Even with this one flaw, the book twists and turns and keeps you guessing until the end. If you never tried Coben's books, I think you should. I cert ...more
Colt Leasure
Jan 19, 2014 Colt Leasure rated it liked it
On one hand I appreciate the mans work, on the other I can see why so many crime novelists think his voice isn't gritty or cynical enough. I see the pastiche of every other major writer in the genre, and it works. What makes Coben distinct is his obsession with loss and missing people - a theme that I appreciate but also see the flaw in, as its Cobens way of dealing with death in a very candy coated way. Yet that doesn't take away entirely from his talent. The unexpected plot turns and interesti ...more
David
Nov 22, 2010 David rated it liked it
Shelves: completed
In much the same way Alfred Hitchcock was a master at building up tension in his movies, Coben succeeds at creating an air of tension and desperation. At the same time, Coben manages to drop a number of "lines in the water" meaning that there are always multiple questions hanging in the reader (and hero's) minds. He carefully resolves each one slowly and surely, and he does it like a master fisherman, because he knows how to "set the hook" in his reader's minds and keep them wondering.

In "No Sec
Greg Bascom
May 19, 2012 Greg Bascom rated it it was amazing
Dr. Marc Seidman wakes up in the hospital to discover that twelve days earlier someone kidnapped his six-month old daughter, murdered his wife and left him for dead with two gunshots in the chest. Not easy to figure this one, until the ransom demand arrives for two million dollars. It stipulates not to contact the authorities or else - NO SECOND CHANCE. Marc agonizes before involving the cops and FBI. His father-in-law provides the two million, which the culprits take and, true to their word, of ...more
Barb
Mar 23, 2011 Barb rated it it was amazing
When you dream about the mystery unraveling in the book you are reading, you can be pretty certain it is a great book. Yes, even in my sleep I was trying to solve the mystery presented in NO SECOND CHANCE. Dr. Marc Seidman is a plastic surgeon. He lives with his wife, Monica and his infant daughter, Tara. Marc is not the type of plastic surgeon you normally think of when you hear the term. Marc does facial reconstruction on children and adults who have been injured or who were born with facial d ...more
Erin
Mar 13, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-suspense
I love Harlan Coben--I really do. He has a similar style to Lee Child, but to me his characters are more personal, less "badass can take down any bad guy" and his stories are less complex and less detailed--in a good way. He keeps that pacing CRANKING. I mean, the book starts out with this line: "When the first bullet hit my chest, I thought of my daughter." That's a great opening! Coben keeps the tension high throughout the story, and actually resolved it in a really satisfying way. I objected ...more
Joyce
Apr 06, 2015 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Geen tweede kans is de derde standalone thriller van de hand van veelschrijver Harlan Coben. Marc Seidman wordt in zijn eigen huis neergeschoten en komt na twaalf dagen bij op de Intensive Care. Zijn vrouw Monica blijkt te zijn overleden en zijn dochter Tara blijkt te zijn vermist. Marc doet er alles aan om achter de waarheid omtrent de verdwijning van zijn dochter te komen.

Ik heb Harlan Coben pas recent ontdekt als schrijver en ik ben aan zeer aangename inhaalslag bezig. In Geen tweede kans st
Play Book Tag: No Second Chance by Harlan Coben - 4.5 stars 15 20 Mar 30, 2016 09:16AM
2015 Reading Chal...: No Second Chance by Harlan Corben 7 17 Feb 10, 2015 05:33AM
Bookwormed Reviews: No Second Chance - Harlan Coben 3 11 Jan 21, 2014 02:29PM
Le résumé en français 1 6 Jun 16, 2013 08:01AM
  • Fear the Worst
  • Killer Instinct
  • Parallel Lies
  • Hide (Detective D.D. Warren, #2)
  • Third Degree
  • Last Known Victim (Stacy Killian, #3)
  • Scott Free
  • Lost Light (Harry Bosch Universe, #10)
  • Beyond Reach (Grant County, #6)
  • Merciless (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #3)
  • Stolen in the Night
  • In The Dark (Jonathan Stride, #4)
With over 60 million books in print worldwide, Harlan Coben’s last seven consecutive novels, MISSING YOU, SIX YEARS, STAY CLOSE, LIVE WIRE, CAUGHT, LONG LOST and HOLD TIGHT all debuted at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list and lists around the world. His books are published in 43 languages around the globe.

Coben is the winner of the Edgar Award, Shamus Award and Anthony Award – the first aut
More about Harlan Coben...

“Fame is more addictive than crack. Adults who lose fame--one-hit wonders, for example--usually tailspin into depression, though they try to act like they're above it. They don't want to admit the truth. Their whole life is a lie, a desperate scramble for another dose of that most potent of drugs. Fame” 4 likes
“I look at her, then at Tasha, and I feel the wondrous blend of bliss and fear. They--bliss and fear--are constant companions. Rarely does one venture out without the other.” 3 likes