Start by marking “Magician: Apprentice, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Magician: Apprentice, Volume 1

Magician: Apprentice, Volume 1 (Raymond E. Feist's Magician: Apprentice #1)

4.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  16,478 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
To the forest on the shore of the Kingdom of the Isles, the orphan Pug came to study with the master magician Kulgan. But though his courage won him a place at court and the heart of a lovely Princess, he was ill at ease with the normal ways of wizardry. Yet Pug's strange sort of magic would one day change forever the fates of two worlds. For dark beings from another world ...more
Hardcover, Graphic novel, 168 pages
Published May 30th 2007 by Marvel (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Magician, please sign up.

Ron Wierman It isn't geared to young adults specifically. But it is appropriate for all ages.
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Best Fantasy World
54th out of 808 books — 1,086 voters
Monster Hunter International by Larry CorreiaMonster Hunter Alpha by Larry CorreiaSandman Slim by Richard KadreyOld Man's War by John ScalziMonster Hunter Legion by Larry Correia
Guys Adventure Fiction
19th out of 152 books — 51 voters

More lists with this book...

Benozir Ahmed
Jan 06, 2016 Benozir Ahmed rated it really liked it
my rating 3.75
storyline has been built on a world named midkemia. on the far westerncoast of the human kingdom of Rillanon there is a province named crydee where a ritual is maintained that as per requirement they set a day of choosing. On which day 15 year old boys are chosen under few specific masters for apprenticeship. tomas and pug are two friends who were chosen as well. this is the beginning. (don't like to tell much about the story, better read it yourself if u feel like)
there are some
Dale Pearl
Nov 10, 2015 Dale Pearl rated it really liked it
I remember the first time reading this. The book was passed down to me from a friend of mine. We were both in the Navy and in the process of going through electronics school. In my opinion a classic of the fantasy genre. The only downsize to this book and later the series is that it borrows to much material from other fantasy novels in order to make a lasting tale. Tolkien, Brooks, Donaldson.... their books can be seen through the riftwar saga as well.
James Forbes
Aug 08, 2012 James Forbes rated it did not like it
Yeah, I read it. But why bother when there is George RR Martin?
Cassienerdgirl
Mar 01, 2015 Cassienerdgirl rated it did not like it
Boooooooo.
Samantha Larmore
Sep 19, 2014 Samantha Larmore rated it it was amazing
(Spoilers)

I read Magician: Apprentice by Raymond E. Feist, which is book one of the Rift Saga. This book is about a young orphan, named Pug, who, in a day’s time, becomes the apprentice of the greatest magician in Crydee, Kulgan. The story begins in the Western city of Crydee, a city in Midkemia. On the day of the Choosing, fifteen-year-old Pug and his best friend, Tomas, were each chosen for apprenticeship, Tomas with Swordmaster Fannon and Pug for Magician Kulgan. After much study, Pug was ask
Drozdal
May 14, 2014 Drozdal rated it it was ok
This book was OK at best. Pretty sloppy writing, fantasy by numbers. Chosen one / coming of the age story where main characters can't do no wrong and everyone has infinite amounts patience for them - be it princes, mages, kings or dragons. There are five female characters in the book - one is Queen of elfs for one of the main characters to fall in love, second in a princess to fall in love with, third - mentioned princess maid / help lady, one of the main characters mom and lastly another 9 year ...more
Jeff Raymond
I'm coming to the conclusion that these graphic novel adaptations of important fantasy books don't really work for me. The detail of them often gets lost in the art, the stories becoming kind of diluted, and the format doesn't often lend itself to quality storytelling.

On the other hand, this made me want to read this series in its original form quite a bit. So it wasn't a complete loss, but given that it took me 10 days to want to finish this says quite a bit...
Cadfan
Oct 27, 2014 Cadfan rated it liked it
On it's own this book is actually pretty shoddy. This is mainly because of Feist's poor quality of writing. However this book is basically an essential read if you want to fully experience the full majesty of the second book (and the following books as well). In fairness, this book does set up the base of the story well. Unfortunately we can't just nose-dive straight into the epicness.

I suppose you could enjoy this book on its own if you feel like reading the simple, almost 'homely' beginnings
Nic Cooper
Mar 24, 2014 Nic Cooper rated it liked it
Needed more magic
Anthony
Sep 19, 2011 Anthony rated it really liked it
I read this series back in High School and enjoyed it then and plan on re reading it at some point ad Feist does an excellent job of character development and story involvement.
Dimitri Halkidis
Oct 11, 2015 Dimitri Halkidis rated it really liked it
First, I’m a slow reader. Second, The Magician had a certain Tolkien-esque style of narration that forced you to slow your pace and really get a feel of every word written. Like wading through quicksand, or hacking your way through dense jungle, this book is something you physically can’t rush through.

Now, the above were terrible analogies, because they imply this book was a chore to read. It wasn’t. By God it wasn’t. From beginning to end it was sheer, unadulterated joy. Every word evoked long-
The
Dec 04, 2015 The rated it liked it
Full review at http://www.atgreviews.net/2015/12/rif...

Raymond E. Feist’s Riftwar Saga is another fantasy trilogy that’s been split into four books. The split occurs in the first book, Magician, which was split into Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master.

Riftwar is a series that is rooted in traditional Tolkienesque fantasy: an ordinary orphan becomes a powerful figure in a war against evil. What surprised me was how this book could have easily deviated from traditional fantasy story structur
Alexander
Apr 29, 2014 Alexander rated it really liked it
I probably purchased 9 books in this series mostly based on the first paragraph of this first book. I love that paragraph. The remainder of the first trilogy is quite wonderful and it is all very swashbuckling rescues, diabolical armies and god like artifacts. Pug is one of my favorite fantasy characters and he wasn't demoted to rare guest star I'd probably follow it still.
Harold Ogle
Jul 21, 2013 Harold Ogle rated it did not like it
This is the first six issues of the comic book adaptation of Raymond Feist's book Magician>, which is one of the best high-fantasy epics written. Unfortunately, the comics somehow eliminate nearly all that's fun and interesting in the books, while also making weird artistic choices that minimalize any sense of continuity the reader might develop. For one thing, different artists for each issue result in characters looking wildly different from one section of the book to the next (in the first ...more
Ambar
Oct 05, 2014 Ambar rated it really liked it
Me gusto la historia en general, la accion es fluida y sin duda entretenida aunque haya momentos en los que parece el tipico cliche de las peliculas de fantasia, ya saben el heroe valiente, el malo muy malo ...
Mi personaje favorito me Arutha me encanto la forma en que se desarrollo durante la trama de la invasion y que se dio a conocer mas su caracter, considerando que el no es muy carismatico y lleno de energia como su hermano mayor o mas entusiasta como el resto de los persoanjes jovenes. Si y
Audrey Terry
Mar 02, 2016 Audrey Terry rated it liked it
Overall, this was pretty meh. The dialogue was uber unrealistic at times, as was the plot. And like others have mentioned, many of the plot points were borrowed from LOR....which got pretty annoying.
Hannah
Mar 18, 2014 Hannah rated it it was ok
Liked the beginning... but then I lost interest and still kept reading, because I'm stubborn and won't put a book down when I need to. The ending was okay. The book felt a bit rushed though...
Ondra Král
Aug 31, 2015 Ondra Král rated it liked it
Příjemná pohádka, kde se toho zas tolik nestane a pro dokončení musím sáhnout k druhému booku (či knize). U čtvrtého sešitu se bohužel vyměnil kreslíř a celé to začalo působit víc dětsky.
Raven Oak
Aug 14, 2014 Raven Oak rated it it was amazing
The main character, orphan Pug, came to the Kingdom of the Isles to study magic under a master magician. Problem was, he wasn’t very good at it. The way his master taught, wasn’t working for Pug. He ended up defining a new magic, befriending a princess, and changing the entire world.
When I look back at it now, I see the plot for what it is: the standard magician coming into his powers and changing the world trope. And yet, for all its simplicity plot wise, I loved reading about Pug and his stru
A
Sep 12, 2014 A rated it it was amazing
I found this book by amazing coincidence. I had read the authors before it and after it on a book shelf and picked it up, annoyed that it was the only thing on a whole book case in the store I hadn't read.
Amazing story. So fun. It really carries you away into the book. From the near drowning as the tide comes in, and the spooky walk home, I felt like I was there. Just have to love Pug, but feel sorry for him as well.

I loved it so much I went on to read all of his co-authored novels with Janny W
Lucas Massoline
Jan 27, 2015 Lucas Massoline rated it really liked it
It's a typical history about a mage and his classics adventures, if you are looking for a cliche this is our book.
Mary Fallon
Really enjoyed the saga. A bit like G O T without so much gory stuff. Not sure if I'll read the sequels though.
Tyrone Ellul
Mar 10, 2015 Tyrone Ellul rated it it was amazing
One of the best novels of this genre I have ever read. The kind of book you remember for a long time
Jamie
Apr 21, 2013 Jamie rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Vic
Jul 21, 2014 Vic rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. Loved every minute of it. The best magical adventure book I have ever read.
Gena Lott
May 16, 2015 Gena Lott rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Not in the same league with some of the Fantasy Masters, but an enjoyable read.
Maria La montagne
Oct 18, 2015 Maria La montagne rated it it was amazing
I've read this book three times. Just to make a point of interest
Yumimi
Mar 03, 2014 Yumimi rated it liked it
Shelves: library
A mediocre adaption of a brilliant book.
Jonas Brunsvik
Jan 09, 2015 Jonas Brunsvik rated it it was amazing
classic hig fantasy on its best !
N
Oct 01, 2014 N rated it it was ok
There are books where every life is precious to you, every death makes you weep or cheer. This book felt like it was covered in a layer of cellophane that I could not tear through. I didn't connect with anyone, I won't be reading the rest of the series....
  • Raymond E. Feist's Magician Master
  • The Wheel of Time: Boxed Set  (Wheel of Time, #1-8)
  • Homeland: The Graphic Novel (Legend of Drizzt: The Graphic Novel, #1)
  • The Sword of Truth Boxed Set II: Temple of the Winds; Soul of the Fire; Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #4-6)
  • The Elenium: The Diamond Throne / The Ruby Knight / The Sapphire Rose (The Elenium, #1-3)
  • In the Shadow of the Warlock Lord (The Sword of Shannara, #1)
  • The Farseer Trilogy (Farseer Trilogy #1-3)
  • The Night Angel Trilogy (Night Angel, #1-3)
  • The Lost Swords: The First Triad (Lost Swords, #1-3)
  • Waylander (The Drenai Saga, #3)
  • Dragonlance Chronicles (Dragonlance #1-3)
  • Xanth: The Quest for Magic (Xanth, #1-3)
  • Silverthorn by Raymond E. Feist Summary & Study Guide
Raymond E. Feist was born Raymond E. Gonzales III, but took his adoptive step-father's surname when his mother remarried Felix E. Feist. He graduated with a B.A. in Communication Arts with Honors in 1977 from the University of California at San Diego. During that year Feist had some ideas for a novel about a boy who would be a magician. He wrote the novel two years later, and it was published in 1 ...more
More about Raymond E. Feist...

Raymond E. Feist's Magician: Apprentice (2 books)
  • Magician: Apprentice, Volume 2