Start by marking “Magician: Apprentice (The Riftwar Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Magician: Apprentice (The Riftwar Saga, #1)

Magician: Apprentice (The Riftwar Saga #1)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  58,893 Ratings  ·  1,077 Reviews
He held the fate of two worlds in his hands... Once he was an orphan called Pug, apprenticed to a sorcerer of the enchanted land of Midkemia.. Then he was captured and enslaved by the Tsurani, a strange, warlike race of invaders from another world.

There, in the exotic Empire of Kelewan, he earned a new name-- "Milamber." He learned to tame the unnimagined powers that lay w
Published December 1st 1993 by Turtleback Books (first published October 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Magician, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magician

The Way of Kings by Brandon SandersonThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
Real Epic Fantasy
15th out of 97 books — 167 voters
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinA Storm of Swords by George R.R. MartinA Clash of Kings by George R.R. MartinThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienA Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin
Medieval Fantasy Books
38th out of 411 books — 799 voters

More lists with this book...

Matthew
FANTASY FANS PLEASE READ!

Updating this review in June 2016. I was just discussing this series with a friend I recommended this to and we were both saying how shocked we are how few people have read it because it is so good. It can be hard to find Feist's books in stores or at the library - but it shouldn't be!

I am not saying that everyone will end up liking this, but I think there are a lot of people missing out. To give you a statistical analysis of how many people are missing out - I currently
Ori Fienberg
Dec 22, 2008 Ori Fienberg rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oh-well
Earlier this year I got back into the fantasy genre by reading Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind. Since then I've been reading backwards; finding the authors Rothfuss was favorably compared to and reading their books.

I was very taken with the author I read next, George R. R. Martin, and would happily have continued the Song of Fire and Ice series, but apparently the next book in that series has been postponed till 2013. So I chose Raymond Feist who was next on my list.

To a total fantasy v
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Magician: Apprentice is an appealing introduction into an epic fantasy series that a newbie can enjoy. It offers a young hero who is just at the beginning of his journey to find his purpose in life. Feist offers a fantasy world on the brink of war from a threat that has the capacity to bring great change to Midkemia as they know it.

While the world has a typical medieval-type feel, the variety of races presented give the world an incredible texture. I loved the descriptions of the elves and thei
Jim
Oct 21, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book shortly after it came out in the early 80's while in my 20's. It's every bit as enjoyable on the 4th read almost 30 years later. In many ways, it is a very typical fantasy, but the character's pop very well & the world has enough new elements to make it quite intriguing. The quick pace hides a complexity that becomes apparent as the story progresses & we're led deeper into the world.

Since I have a towering TBR pile, I re-read sparingly. I'm so happy I did this aga
Holly
Aug 03, 2007 Holly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mario
Aug 21, 2015 Mario rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really hard book for me to rate. It went from amazing 5 stars to disappointing 2, so after giving it a thought I decided to go with solid 3 stars.

I’m still not sure how to write this review, because my feelings towards the book are mixed (to say the least), so I’m gonna go with the old way: things I liked and things I didn’t like.

Let’s start off with the things I liked:
-Amazing world Feist created. I think the world building was my favorite part of the book
-Interesting characters, es
Josh
Mar 26, 2012 Josh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
I wanted to like this book. I really did. First, a major caveat: The Magician: Apprentice is only one part of a two-volume novel. The second volume, The Magician: Master, completes the tale. Given this, it isn’t really fair to judge the first volume on many points, so keep in mind that my review applies almost exclusively to this first volume.

The Magician: Apprentice is a story centered on — you guessed it — a magician’s apprentice named Pug who finds himself an unlikely hero when the world of M
Mikel C.
Jun 12, 2008 Mikel C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I must admit, when I was really young, I did not read that much. I was a sports kid, Soccer in the fall, basketball in the winter, baseball in spring and summer. Many years straight through, and if I wasn't practicing or playing, I was playing sports with the neighborhood kids.

It was not until I was 10 or so that I started actually reading the books that the teachers told us to, rather than skimming them over or getting the notes from the dilligent kid in the neighborhood to pass a quiz or test.
Seth T.
Feb 08, 2008 Seth T. rated it really liked it
Raymond Feist is to fantasy literature what Greg Rucka is to crime/espionage literature. He presents stories in a workmanlike fashion, neither embracing literary elegance or dwelling overlong on that which does not forward the story itself, and yet he offers a rollicking good time. His characters are all interesting and his narrative twists retain reader interest. He is not a great author, but he is certainly a good author.

And sometimes, good is just what the doctor ordered.

Both halves of Magic
Stephen
2.5 stars. It has been a while since I read this but I remember thinking it was decent but not great. Given the number of really positive reviews, I have put this on my list of books to re-read in case I missed something the first time around.
Jon
Mar 18, 2014 Jon added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jon by: FBCS February 2011 Series Selection
Rob
Executive Summary: Traditional fantasy that while enjoyable for me, isn't as good as the fantasy being released today.

Full Review
Last month I was visited Borderlands and wanted to pick up something to read on the flight home. Yes I have a ton of unread ebooks, but I still prefer paper, especially when on a plane. Also, I have a book buying problem.

I've been meaning to check out Raymond Feist for awhile, so this seemed like a good time to finally do so. I read about half of the book during my t
Thumbelina-thighs
Oct 13, 2010 Thumbelina-thighs rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lubinka Dimitrova
Ah, at last I finished it! Strangely enough, I have mixed feelings about this one - it was actually a really engaging book, with likable characters and a nice plot (although not without its flaws), good writing and an interesting story, but it was soooo long! I felt as if I was wading through the pages, oppressed by the amount of the remaining pages. I'll probably read the next one, but much later, when I gather some courage to face it.
Wanda
3.5 stars rounded up to 4 stars.

It is interesting to be reading the Belgariad by David Eddings and the Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist at the same time. Published very close together in time, they have some striking similarities and I can see why they were very popular in their day. Both feature boys becoming men and also becoming sorcerers/magicians.

For me, the Riftwar Saga is much more engaging of the two. I like Feist’s writing better and I find that the plot moves along at a slightly swifter p
Dawn
Feb 01, 2011 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first time I read this I was completely enthralled, and gave it a solid five stars. My fantasy repertoire was seriously lacking back in those days, and I instantly fell in love with all that is Midkemia. The second time around I still loved it, but found I had to drop the rating to a four. It’s not that I loved it any less… I’m not sure what exactly happened. It’s just now that I have more experience with fantasy, and now that I know what else is out there, it was hard to give it a solid fiv ...more
Emma
Meh... Far from bowled over. I think I've been spoiled by the quality of modern fantasy writing. It reads like a good fantasy read of its time and the same feel to it as The wheel of time books (the couple that I've read, anyway!) I doubt I would continue with this series and maybe not with Feist either. Apparently this is one of his stronger books.
Silvana
Why hello old school fantasy! Long time no see. I see that you still have dwarves of Moria, beautiful elves living in trees, farmboys turns great warriors, plucky princess and overwhelmingly likable characters. Oh and a cute dragon pet.

Not that I mind them much in this book. The writing is good, the pacing was great (I didn't yawn when reading this book) and the main characters, at least Pug and Tomas, make you want to hug them and muss their hair. Pug reminds me of Fitzchivalry Farseer, albeit
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3.5/5; 4 stars; B+

While I can see the origins of this story being based in the era of the D&D role playing games, it was still an engaging fantasy story on its own. I enjoyed many of the characters and ideas about the magic system and world building.

On the negative side, I thought the female characters were really weak and poorly developed but the plot kept me interested enough to overlook that. I will definitely read more in the series.
Mike (the Paladin)
Haven't liked every Feist book since...but this one sucked me in and I ran the next two down as soon as I could get my hands on them.

Since I've remembered this one fondly and just recently replaced my long lost (or worn out) copy. I remember thinking what an odd name Pug was to hang on a main character. This story builds the characters, the world and the story so that I was quickly hooked and stayed that way for several volumes. While Mr. Feist can run hot and cold and at times be almost infuria
Paul
Sep 19, 2010 Paul rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry, but how is this plainly described, one dimensional book so well rated? I'm 200 pages in and bored rigid and utterly fed up of the random lucky events the characters go thru.

The line that sticks out is: Dragons were the hereditary enemy of dwarves.

Sorry it's just poorly written, based in a second hand middle earth and I've seen better characters in the mr men books.

I paid 95p for it from a a charity shop and I feel robbed.
Kara
Mar 14, 2011 Kara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Readers, YA and Adult
Recommended to Kara by: Goodreads - Fantasy Book Club Series Group Read
An enjoyable easy read with incredibly likable characters. Just enough action, suspense, intrigue and magic to keep me turning the pages.

In a typical high fantasy world of humans, elves, dwarves, and dragons, there is now a rift, through which unknown people and creatures from another world begin an invasion. The book has several POV characters that we follow separately as they encounter and interact with the off-world invaders.

The start to an epic series, book 1 ends very non-climatically and
George Jankovic
Jan 04, 2016 George Jankovic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was not my favorite. It can be a tad slow at times and it doesn't have a lot of action, but I liked the world and the story. I will definitely read the second book.
Shelly
Jan 15, 2012 Shelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was okay but I never really found myself involved in the story or the characters. The writing was fine but nothing that made up for my lack of interest in the story. I haven't read a whole lot of traditional fantasy and maybe it just isn't as much my thing as science fiction. Oh well. Not bad, just not great.
ChaHibouYogi
Jan 02, 2016 ChaHibouYogi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Oh je sens qu'une grande histoire d'amour va débuter entre moi et ce cycle d'héroïc-fantasy !
On y retrouve tout ce qu'on aime dans le genre : une multitude de personnages aux personnalités variées et attachantes, des héros, des combats, des coups du destin ... On sent une vraie influence de Tolkien mais ce n'est pas une copie pour autant. Et il y a ces jeunes protagonistes qu'on voit évoluer et qui grandissent au fur et à mesure de notre lecture, qui changent irrémédiablement face aux événements
Ana
Jan 13, 2013 Ana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O Mago O Aprendiz é um livro de Fantasia que se insere numa saga denominada O Mago, escrito por Raymond E. Feist.
A história passa-se no Reino de Midkemia, e relata a vida de Pug, Tomas e outros personagens da cidade de Crydree.
Pug, um rapaz do castelo, que não sendo escolhido por mais nenhum mestre dos vários ofícios, acabou por se tornar no aprendiz do famoso mago Kulgan. Tem algumas dificuldades na aprendizagem do seu ofício, e duvida do caminho que percorre, pois desejava ser um guerreiro ta
Andreas
Jan 17, 2014 Andreas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed, owned, 2014
The original novel originally published in 1982 has been split in two volumes and you'll probably won't be able to just read the first one because there are too many cliffhangers. Given that, I'm going to review this first volume anyways.
It is the first book of the Riftwar Saga set within the world of Midkemia, a coming-of-age story of magician Pug and warrior Tomas facing otherwordly invaders.

I know that lots of people have fond memories reading this book and it was a New York Times bestseller
Dan
Sep 10, 2015 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite long, but very good!
Lucinda
Jul 28, 2012 Lucinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has to be the most outstanding novel by an incredible author who is recognizable as a creative giant within the fantasy genre, taking this genre to a whole new level that inspires. Having previously read the series the serpentwar saga that surrounds the world of Midkemia, I was excited to read more of this author’s work that would be slightly different to what I had previously encountered. This book exceeded all expectations with its incredible storyline that was highly imaginative, inspire ...more
Noel
Jan 07, 2016 Noel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I first read this book when I was in high school. It was one of the first adult sci fi/fantasy books I read, and has held a special place in my heart ever since. Upon rereading, it's not quite as amazing as it was back then, but it's still a solid book. I had some issues with the inconsistent passage of time, and the disappearance of a storyline towards the end. I can forgive that a bit, since this book and the second are actually meant to be one book. I only read the first two books of the seri ...more
Around the Year i...: Magician, by Raymond E. Feist 4 24 May 03, 2016 05:53PM
Change description 1 16 Nov 27, 2015 06:57AM
Goodreads Librari...: Change description 2 183 Oct 27, 2015 04:55PM
Clube de Leitores...: Leitura de Novembro de 2013 - Magician: Apprentice 16 45 Dec 04, 2013 03:45AM
  • A Vingança do Assassino (A Saga do Assassino #4)
  • Raymond E. Feist's Magician Master
  • The Belgariad Boxed Set: Pawn of Prophecy / Queen of Sorcery / Magician's Gambit / Castle of Wizardry / Enchanters' End Game (The Belgariad, #1-5)
  • The Dragonbone Chair (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #1)
  • The Lair of Bones (Runelords, #4)
  • Legend (The Drenai Saga, #1)
  • The Magic Engineer (The Saga of Recluce #3)
  • Dragon Wing (The Death Gate Cycle, #1)
  • The Curse of the Mistwraith (Wars of Light and Shadow, #1)
Raymond E. Feist was born Raymond E. Gonzales III, but took his adoptive step-father's surname when his mother remarried Felix E. Feist. He graduated with a B.A. in Communication Arts with Honors in 1977 from the University of California at San Diego. During that year Feist had some ideas for a novel about a boy who would be a magician. He wrote the novel two years later, and it was published in 1 ...more
More about Raymond E. Feist...

The Riftwar Saga (4 books)
  • Magician: Master (The Riftwar Saga, #2)
  • Silverthorn (The Riftwar Saga, #3)
  • A Darkness At Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4)

“Dolgan: ’Tis a wise thing to know what is wanted, and wiser still to know when ‘tis achieved.
Rhuagh: True. And still wiser to know when it is unachievable, for then striving is folly.”
24 likes
“Some love comes like the wind off the sea, while others grow slowly from the seeds of friendship and kindness." - Carline” 17 likes