The Lights in the Sky Are Stars

The Lights in the Sky Are Stars

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Yes, I'm Max Andrews.
I'm one of the guys who fought and bled and worked to get to Mars. I figure what I gave up in those early years bought me the right to pilot the next big jump.
I've lied and stolen for that right. I'd have killed, too, but I didn't have to. Instead, I let a woman give her life so I could have my chance, my door to space.
You think I'd stop at anything,...more
Published January 1955 by Bantam Books (first published November 1953)

sj
Originally posted here as part of the 30 Day Book Challenge.

I had no problem with this one. SUPER EASY.

A Book I Love That I Can’t Find On Shelves Anymore

Actually, I never once found it on a shelf. I found it in a box at a library sale. I think I paid a nickel for it. A NICKEL. Man, I wish I knew what happened to this book. It’s one of my favourite sf books that no one I know has read. [sigh]

Also, I refuse to pay close to ten dollars for a DRMed ecopy. No way, eff that. <.<

I am too tired to...more
Hibido
It's classic charm had appeal, as well as it's general divergence from the corny action packed SF tropes, but it's horrendous dialogue and just bad writing made me put it down.

Dated SF has never been a problem for me, sometimes it even gives it a charm I enjoy. Unfortunately my to-read list is big, I don't have time for bad writing.
Fred
one of the great 50's juveniles, equal to anything by heinlein or asimov
Andrew Salmon
Whoa! Where has this book been hiding all my life? I stumbled across a beat up copy of this masterpiece in a thrift store. I knew the name Fredric Brown of course -- what fan of hardboiled fiction doesn't -- but had only read one of his sci-fi efforts so was not all that familiar with his efforts in this genre.

Well, this novel is fantastic! If it isn't on a list of all-time best sci-fi novels of all time, it shoul be!

Max Andrews, the teller of the tale, is a space zealot. In his late fifties whe...more
John Mccullough
Interesting to read a book published in 1953 about the wild future in the years 1997 to 2001. Lots of melodrama, an honest look at politics which is a dishonest trade. Casual predictions about what happened between 1953 and 2001, many accurate (demise of the Soviet Union), some inaccurate (vacations in Cuba, colonies on the Moon and Mars, a visit to Venus - hot Venus!!). And the thought of a rocket trip around Jupiter. Bad guys are the Conservationists who do not want to "waste" money on unneces...more
Paul
Set at the end of the 20th century, Max Andrews is a starduster, one for whom space travel isn’t a cute dream but an obsession. He joined the Air Force, from which space pilots would be chosen, just before the flood of people also wanting to go into space. Max has been in space several times. A freak accident on Venus, just before returning to Earth, has permanently grounded him. Max compensates by becoming one of the best rocket mechanics in the business.

One of Max’s friends, M’bassi, is the la...more
Richard
This novel is the antithesis of action-packed, which surprised me as my sole previous exposure to Fredric Brown was through his very short short stories. Yet somehow this 149 page book realistically parallels the disappointment many of us feel about not living up to our childhood dreams, and how we deal with that. This is about Max Andrews's attempt to rectify his disappointment by leading a push for humanity to send a manned ship to Jupiter in the year 2000 (47 years in the future when this was...more
J.P.
This is one of those novels that didn't age well. Like most science fiction authors, Fredric Brown was overly optimistic about the future of space travel. Written in the 1950s, the plot deals with an astronaut looking to be part of our first manned voyage to Jupiter. This doubtless read better when we were taking our first steps into space and the background established was considered possible. The author's writings were definitely hit or miss, with some excellent short stories and one of the fu...more
Brendan Powell
A fun fast read...great to read sci-fi from the past...I love the technology they envisioned in the future. Just a good classic sci-fi book.

This is the book that got my dad into Sci-fi...shaped his life (and mine)...looking forward to seeing what captured his interest as a child...fun also to read about the "Future" of 1997!
Michael De
Michael De marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Steve Chanin
Steve Chanin marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
John D.
John D. marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Roberto
Roberto marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
None
None added it
Dec 19, 2013
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Nov 12, 2013
Nicolle
Nicolle marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2013
Gab
Gab marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2013
Esope
Esope marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Fredric Brown was an American science fiction and mystery writer. He was one of the boldest early writers in genre fiction in his use of narrative experimentation. While never in the front rank of popularity in his lifetime, Brown has developed a considerable cult following in the almost half century since he last wrote. His works have been periodically reprinted and he has a worldwide fan base, m...more
More about Fredric Brown...
Martians, Go Home What Mad Universe Nightmares And Geezenstacks The Fabulous Clipjoint The Best of Fredric Brown