Start by marking “Sons of Avalon: Merlin's Prophecy” as Want to Read:
Sons of Avalon: Merlin's Prophecy

Sons of Avalon: Merlin's Prophecy

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Chaos ensues as Rome abandons Britain, leaving native Britons alone to defend their shores from the growing Saxon invasion. Set in 5th Century Britain, this retelling of the traditional legends of Merlin, King Arthur, and Avalon, blends a mixture of historical fact with Arthurian fantasy. Refreshingly innovative, the tale spans the mysterious birth of Merlin, climaxing wit ...more
Published February 8th 2008 by Conceptual Images Pub

To ask other readers questions about Sons of Avalon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sons of Avalon

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
Favorites of the Fantasy Book Club
231st out of 504 books — 1,013 voters
The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyThe Once and Future King by T.H. WhiteMary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy by Mary StewartLe Morte d'Arthur by Thomas MaloryThe Winter King by Bernard Cornwell
The Arthurian Legend Retold
123rd out of 394 books — 644 voters

More lists with this book...

Dee Marie
Aug 27, 2008 Dee Marie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Those who wish to fall in-love once more with the Arthurian Legends.
It somehow feels iniquitous to post this review. Yet, as egotistical as it may seem, I loved reading the first book in my "Sons of Avalon" series, as much as I enjoyed writing it. In the novel's final draft alone, I read it from cover-to-cover over fifty times. I even went so far as to have Adobe Acrobat read the story to me in a variety of voices.

Logically, I kept waiting to get bored, to skip ahead, to be impatient with the plot or characters. Yet, it never ceased to surprise me how much I enj
Sella Malin
This book is truly amazing! The dialogue is dramatic, the plot is complex, and the story is so memorable! Dee is so talented. She has such a beautiful writing style; the prose is pretty and flows nicely through the book. She uses such vivid and clear description; I felt as though her well-painted scenes were really happening.

I love how Dee took a look back on the famous wizard Merlin's past and showed us how the boy Merlin could have been like; and I love how Merlin matured throughout the book.
Gwendolyn
I have long been a reader of the folklore of my native England, and the Arthurian legends hold a special place in my heart, so it is always intriguing to find a different take on the birth of those legends.

The Sons of Avalon: Merlin's Prophecy, is a highly entertaining story, one that is definitely worth reading.

As delightful as the story is, it does leave the reader with a lot of unanswered questions that one hopes the author intends to cover in her sequel.

Evan
Dec 04, 2008 Evan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Evan by: My mom
This is a great story. It is full of adventure, magic and humor. It is very different from other Merlin stories I have read and held my interest. It was a hard book to put down, and I took it with me everywhere I went until I finished it. I found it easy to read and the plot easy to follow. I could tell that the author put a great deal of thought into the writing. I can't wait for the next book in the series!

Carole
Carole Sutton's Review of Sons of Avalon, Merlin’s Prophecy

I have never been a follower of Arthurian legends and folklore, but this book intrigued me. For a start, I loved the story of its conception, Merlin whispering to the author in the night to write his story, what a wonderful little tale in itself. Next, the striking artwork of the cover, the hawk’s eyes and the reflection of the boy, drew me onwards.

The first chapter and the dramatic entry of the infant Merlin, and his recovery by the eld
Todd Fonseca
After witnessing a tree shattering lightening strike, Arden and Enid hear the cries of a newborn child emerging from the tree’s scorched remains. The elderly couple take the helpless child to raise him as their own. Guarded by the ever watchful eye from a high above hawk, the boy receives the fitting name of Merlin. As the boy grows, it becomes clear through demonstration of both his remarkable intelligence and mysterious abilities that Merlin is no ordinary child. This results in his being soug ...more
Stuart
From the moment I saw the strikingly impressive front cover of: Sons of Avalon, Merlin’s Prophecy, the exhilaration of this enchanting tale began.

Dee Marie’s solid grasp of the wondrous medieval time period; Arthurian, is highly evident as she takes us (readers) on a non-stop exciting tale. From the mystifying birth of Merlin, I was drawn into the magic. Dee Marie is successful in combining both early British history and mythical characters, masterfully weaved and brought to life.

Merlin is no or
Sabrina
This was a beautifully written book, about Merlin and how he placed his legacy in Britian. The way the characters were developed and the way the scenery was played out was beautifully done. I have not read any books about this time period and I found that the time that this book takes place to be such a time of turmoil. Everyone is looking for peace but can't find it because of war. I enjoyed this book, I appreciate that the author place a index of people and places in the back of the book, it h ...more
Jaimey
Jul 06, 2009 Jaimey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Arthurian fans; lovers of historical fiction
Synopsis: In an unusual twist on Arthurian-type legends, Merlin's Prophecy takes the reader on an adventurous journey, following a young Merlin on his quest to bring about the events that would shape ancient Britain and provide salvation for that war-torn land.

What I liked: Ooo, the historical detail was so breathtaking. I could visualize everything as it happened: Merlin's discovery as an infant, his ever-present hawk, bloody battles, drenching downpours, druidic practices, and the child prophe
Olivia
Mar 31, 2009 Olivia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYone in the world, adults and young adults alike, people who like Arthurian novels
Recommended to Olivia by: Dee Marie
Shelves: arthurian
Imagine a world filled with magic and mystery, Druids and knights and ancient prophecies. Imagine Merlin, long before he tutored the fabled King Arthur, Merlin as a very young boy. Welcome to Britain.
“The earth rumbled as a lightning bolt flashed in the predawn sky splitting a giant oak at the meadow’s edge. An eerie silence followed, broken by a hawk’s cry.“ Thus Merlin is born. An old knight, Arden, and his wife, Enid, find him. The old couple cares for him and raise him. However, Merlin is
Eileen
I love to read books about this era, but I don't like to read about bloody battles and battle strategies. It just doesn't interest me, but Dee Marie describes battles in a way that I can understand them and although I still didn't like to read about them, they didn't bother me as much as in many other books. The story is well-written and has some interesting characters that go through changes and mature. For me it's a story about revenge, loyalty, mystery and love.

One of my favorite characters i
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Marta Morrison for TeensReadToo.com

I have always been enamored with the Arthurian legends.

I have read many of the books that have been published on the subject. The one thing that I have a problem with is that the legend changes according to each historian/author, and I have problems keeping the characters straight. There are lots of characters and the names are sometimes very much alike. Those are the problems - but the greatest thing is that the stories are fascinating and a lot o
Julie
Arthurian legends are usually that, legends of Arthur, but most don’t seem to spend as much time delving into the story of Merlin. Sons of Avalon: Merlin’s Prophecy is an amazing introduction into the magical world of Merlin. Dee Marie beautifully sheds light on the beginnings of the beloved, magical, and mysterious Merlin.

Set in a post Roman Britain, this recovering nation was still fraught with turmoil and war. The reader is transported to a time long ago with sights, and smells of the era. T
Sara
Dec 11, 2008 Sara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sara by: I heard about it on goodreads
Lauren
Apr 09, 2009 Lauren rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young adults, people who enjoy the Arthurian tales.
I really enjoyed this book. Quick, easy read with characters that were easy to relate to (although I kept imagining that they were older, hard to imagine good knights/murderous knights at tender ages). I found Merlin's character to be a good one, though Lionel's was the most compelling to me and of course I was in love with Sir Lot as I tend to like the schemy sort. Uther was an arse for most of it and made me rather grumpy. It was interesting to note the changes of a post-Roman Londinium as wel ...more
C.J. Wright
This is a great book, which is fast paced and does a very good job of holding the readers attention.

The story of Merlin and Arthur is an old one that this book breaths new life into. In the book, set from Merlin's birth to the conception of Arthur, we find out who Merlin is, where he came from, and how all the traumatic events in his early life lead him to his one true goal - the protection of Britain.

Sons of Avalon: Merlin's Prophecy brilliantly sets the stage for what is to come.
Kenzie
I LOVED this book!! Dee Marie did an amazing job spinning the tale of Merlin's life! It was SO captivating, I couldn't put the book down!

For some reason I've always pictured Merlin as being this old wizard with a long gray/white beard/hair who always goes around in long brightly colored robes, so it was neat reading about him as a five year old kid, and then seeing him age and read about his life as a pre-teen/teen.

I can't wait for the next book! I'm SO excited!!
Johanna
Lords, ladies, and beasts are the entertaining characters in Dee Marie's "Sons of Avalon". The historical nature of the novel is intreiging. You will get familiar with the characters and grow to care for them. You will be drawn into the battles and adventures of Merlin. Her attention to historical details transports the reader to another time. I thoroughly enjoyed the read.
UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick
Apr 18, 2009 UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Arthurian legend and more specifically, Merlin.
Recommended to UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick by: Sabrina
I really enjoyed learning about Merlin's birth and childhood, which is something that was sorely missing from other books dealing with Merlin.

The characters were complex, yet understandable. I felt, in many ways, as though I could relate to each character on some level. For me, that's an important part of any story.

I'm looking forward to the sequel!
Elijah Meeks
An engaging story of the wizard Merlin as a youth, struggling to unite a nascent British nation against Saxon invaders. Character-driven with compelling descriptions of early British culture and religion, it's a welcome addition to the bookshelf of readers who love the Arthurian tales, Druids or early medieval society.
Amanda
I liked this book a lot. . . I would have given it 4 stars but I think it was just a bit to serious and a little to old for me. I love how Dee started her series with a whole book on Merlin's childhood! I've never read much about Merlin, just Arthur. ANYWAY, it was amazing, Dee, and I can't wait for the next one!
Paula Jane
Sep 17, 2008 Paula Jane rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is a great book. I couldn't put it down. Also, knowing that Dee Marie spent so much time doing historical research on the legend as well as spending time in Merlin's areas of England and the environ added to my love of the book.

I highly recommend this book as an exciting story and a very well written book
Charles
My first thought was that I had never considered Merlin had ever been a child. I suppose I imagined him popping out from somewhere with his wand and pointed hat, already a man. Was I ever wrong.
This is a very good book and the only question I have is: When is the next one coming out? I want it.
Nick C
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and very much looking forward to the next. The character details are brilliant and you really get into the mind of Merlin as you read it. Highly recommended! You can read my full review at Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/news.php?v...
Gyda
This book was fascinating!!! I have read it 5 times. Every time I read it I learn something new, or remember something different. I could see every image played out. This book will translate very easily to film. I can't wait for the next one!
Sandra
Sep 21, 2008 Sandra rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Yes
Recommended to Sandra by: A friend
This book is one of the best I have read on Merlin. It kept me captivated that I didn't want to put it down.

Dee-Marie I can't wait till the next one comes so I can continue the story.

Well Done MyLady!!
Lillian Hawkins
Couldn't put it down! Extremely well written tale of Merlin's birth, childhood and growth into manhood. Historically accurate. Suspenseful and humorous. One of THE best books I've read in a very long time. I WANT MORE!!
Jade Tyler
This book is by Dee Marie, one of my very good friends. It is really good. I would recommend it to anyone. It is exciting and fun!! One of my fav. characters is Lot.
Andrea
This was a terrific book, full of many wonderful action and dramatic scenes. It introduced me to a part of the King Arthur legend I had never known about.
Cari Foulk
Stunningly beautiful prose, breathtaking descriptions and investable heroes. It doesn't get much better than this. I couldn't put it down.
An Invitation 1 9 Sep 19, 2008 04:42AM
  • The Road to Avalon (Dark Ages of Britain, #1)
  • The Coming of the King (Books of Merlin, #1)
  • Dragon's Child (King Arthur, #1)
  • Grail Prince
  • The Kingmaking (Pendragon's Banner Trilogy, #1)
  • The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere
  • Lancelot
  • The Pendragon
  • The Killing Way (Arthurian Mysteries, #1)
  • Firelord (Firelord, #1)
  • In Camelot's Shadow (The Paths to Camelot, #1)
  • The Forever King (Forever King, #1)
  • The Dragon Queen (Tales of Guinevere, #1)
  • I Am Mordred
  • The White Raven
  • Mordred's Curse
  • Twilight of Avalon (Twilight of Avalon, #1)
  • King Arthur
Dee Marie is an award-winning author, photographer and artist. She has a vast knowledge of Arthurian Legends, with a reference library that is overflowing with British, Celtic, and Druid history.

Research for her Sons of Avalon series also included a visit to Britain, where she was privileged to walk within the inner circle of Stonehenge, embracing the Dancing Stones on the Salisbury Plain. While i
More about Dee Marie...
Facebook Killed Amanda Todd FlyinPanda - the beginning

“Chase your dreams until you catch them...and then dream, catch, and dream again! ” 161 likes
“He had only heard of dragons, and although he had never seen one, he was sure they existed.” 54 likes