Start by marking “Legends 2 (Legends 1, Volume 2of3)” as Want to Read:
Legends 2 (Legends 1, Volume 2of3)

Legends 2 (Legends I part 2/3)

Tor Books is proud to present this unique publishing achievement in three mass market paperbacks available in September, November, and February. Each volume contains the first paperback publication of short novels all set in the worlds these master writers have made famous.

Second volume of the three volume mass market reprint of the first Legends anthology.

Debt of Bones (1
Published November 1st 1999 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Legends 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legends 2

Cathy (cathepsut)
The book contains three short stories. Each of the authors has written a multi volume Fantasy saga of some sort and all 3 stories are set in the respective worlds. Each short story has a preface, giving a summary of what those worlds are and the main story line of the actual sagas.

The Sword of Truth: Debt of Bones, Terry Goodkind

A world torn apart by war. A village is ransacked by the enemy and its inhabitants kidnapped. A woman travels to town to find the First Wizard and claim a debt - and his
John
Sep 06, 2015 John rated it liked it
DEBT OF BONES: I read this one many years ago as a stand-alone hardcover. I remember thinking Goodkind must have a pretty devoted fanbase if he can get away with selling them a mediocre novella for $20 a pop. It's a decent fairy tale-type story, short and sweet. The twists at the end are a bit cheesy, and it's not really very well written, but it does contain a bunch of neat concepts.

THE HEDGE KNIGHT: Since I live under a rock, this was my first time delving into the GAME OF THRONES universe. TH
Kit★
Was pretty happy to find this, mainly just because I wanna read the GRRM story ;)
Anna
Nov 25, 2014 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Sacrificing nerd credibility, I'll admit that of the three authors included in this collection, I was only familiar with George RR Martin. This made for an uneven reading experience. Even with introductions to get the reader grounded in each fictional universe, there's a tricky balance here to giving enough context for the story to make sense within the limited scope of the short works while not boring those who are already familiar with the universe, so the volume was a bit uneven.

Goodkind's D
David Melbie
Dec 24, 2010 David Melbie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
Recommended to David by: Picked myself
This was one of the most important books that I read years ago that sparked my interest in some authors that I was not aware of. I had been out of the fantasy loop for quite a few years. I am from the Tolkien, McCaffrey, Brooks, Donaldson era, and I was out of touch. This book and the second volume, as well as the Legends II books of the last decade are essential if you want to jump into fantasy but do not know where to start. Start with vol. 1! What follows are my brief reviews of the stories i ...more
Luseride
Sep 29, 2013 Luseride rated it really liked it
Three short novels from Terry Goodkind, George R. R, Martin, and Anne McCaffrey are well written and provide a nice fantasy fix in small doses.

Each tell a full story and leave the reader wanting just a bit more information even though the story is complete.
Christian McKay
Nov 05, 2009 Christian McKay rated it liked it
I wish every genre would do this. Collect one-hundred page shorts so you could get a taste of their style and storytelling ability without investing too much time.

Turns out fantasy just isn't for me. As expected, I loved The Hedge Knight by Martin. The other two were bloody awful.

Mach
Mar 21, 2012 Mach rated it really liked it
I have only read two of the stories here, none of the other's interested me. The ones i read are by Robin Hobb and George RR Martin.
Buddy
Sep 07, 2011 Buddy rated it really liked it
A good story and interesting insight into the history of Westeros, the Targaryen dynasty, and some characters we've grown to love.
Eric Godin
Jan 19, 2014 Eric Godin rated it really liked it
I only read "The Hedge Knight." It was the only story I was interested in. I loved it. It was too short. It was cool reading about a Westeros in which all the Targaryans haven't been killed.
Theresa
Oct 17, 2013 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
an inspiring collection of stories, that started me reading books like the Game of Thrones, and Wild cards... I bought it originally because of the anne mccaffrey Robert silverberg stories.
Tom Mueller
Nov 01, 2011 Tom Mueller rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, scifi
Novellas which fit existing series of works by well known authors:
Terry Goodkind; George R.R. Martin and Anne McCaffrey.
Satia
Sep 29, 2009 Satia rated it liked it
I enjoyed this volume more than I did the first. I won't be reading the third for a while. For more:

Liberato Tan
Liberato Tan rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2014
Brie
Brie rated it it was ok
Apr 20, 2009
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2007
Sherri
Sherri rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2011
Aysha
Aysha rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2011
Kellye
Kellye rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Chris Wright
Chris Wright rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2013
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
May 24, 2012
Nick Rubenstein
Nick Rubenstein rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2010
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2012
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2011
Erinn
Erinn rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2008
Jack
Jack rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2010
Johnna Pierce
Johnna Pierce rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2011
Stormy
Stormy rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Eric
Eric rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2015
  • Year's Best Fantasy
  • Did You Say Chicks?! (Chicks in Chainmail, #2)
  • Villains Victorious
  • The Da Vinci Hoax: Exposing the Errors in the Da Vinci Code
  • A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic
  • Blood of Mystery (The Last Rune, #4)
  • The Darke Crusade (Lone Wolf, #15)
  • Camp Fear Ghouls (Ghosts of Fear Street, #18)
  • Einstein and Religion: Physics and Theology
  • Glimpses of Truth
  • The Kingless Land (Band of Four, #1)
  • Mainline
  • Lightwing
  • Rebel Planet (Fighting Fantasy, #18)
  • The Temple of Elemental Evil (Greyhawk Classics, #5)
  • Shroud of Shadow (Strands, #3)
  • Help! I'm Trapped in Obedience School Again
  • Adventures in the Dream Trade
Robert Silverberg is one of science fiction’s most beloved writers, and the author of such contemporary classics as Dying Inside, Downward to the Earth and Lord Valentine’s Castle, as well as At Winter’s End, also available in a Bison Books edition. He is a past president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and the winner of five Nebula Awards and five Hugo Awards. In 2004 the Sc ...more
More about Robert Silverberg...

Legends (2 books)