Start by marking “Legends 2 (Legends 1, Volume 2of3)” as Want to Read:
Legends 2 (Legends 1, Volume 2of3)

Legends 2 (Legends I part 2/3)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  482 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Tor Books is proud to present this unique publishing achievement in three mass market paperbacks available in September, November, and February. Each volume contains the first paperback publication of short novels all set in the worlds these master writers have made famous.

Second volume of the three volume mass market reprint of the first Legends anthology.

Debt of Bones (1
Published November 1st 1999 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Legends 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legends 2

cathepsut
The book contains three short stories. Each of the authors has written a multi volume Fantasy saga of some sort and all 3 stories are set in the respective worlds. Each short story has a preface, giving a summary of what those worlds are and the main story line of the actual sagas.

The Sword of Truth: Debt of Bones, Terry Goodkind

A world torn apart by war. A village is ransacked by the enemy and its inhabitants kidnapped. A woman travels to town to find the First Wizard and claim a debt - and his
Anna
Sacrificing nerd credibility, I'll admit that of the three authors included in this collection, I was only familiar with George RR Martin. This made for an uneven reading experience. Even with introductions to get the reader grounded in each fictional universe, there's a tricky balance here to giving enough context for the story to make sense within the limited scope of the short works while not boring those who are already familiar with the universe, so the volume was a bit uneven.

Goodkind's D
David Melbie
Dec 24, 2010 David Melbie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
Recommended to David by: Picked myself
This was one of the most important books that I read years ago that sparked my interest in some authors that I was not aware of. I had been out of the fantasy loop for quite a few years. I am from the Tolkien, McCaffrey, Brooks, Donaldson era, and I was out of touch. This book and the second volume, as well as the Legends II books of the last decade are essential if you want to jump into fantasy but do not know where to start. Start with vol. 1! What follows are my brief reviews of the stories i ...more
Steven Galloway
Enjoyed all three stories, but The Hedge Knight was definitely the standout.
Kurt Zisa
Great short tales of modern fantasy. George R.R. Martins "The Hedge Knight" is the clear standout.
Alejandro
Not gonna lie. I only bought this for George R. R. Martin's "The Hedge Knight," which is a super-fun novella that has inspired me to pick up the other two anthologies featuring appearances by Ser Duncan the Tall and his squire, Egg. I'll probably return to it after I've better familiarized myself with Anne McCaffrey's fascinating Pern universe.
Shivering William
I wish every genre would do this. Collect one-hundred page shorts so you could get a taste of their style and storytelling ability without investing too much time.

Turns out fantasy just isn't for me. As expected, I loved The Hedge Knight by Martin. The other two were bloody awful.

Luseride
Three short novels from Terry Goodkind, George R. R, Martin, and Anne McCaffrey are well written and provide a nice fantasy fix in small doses.

Each tell a full story and leave the reader wanting just a bit more information even though the story is complete.
Eric Godin
I only read "The Hedge Knight." It was the only story I was interested in. I loved it. It was too short. It was cool reading about a Westeros in which all the Targaryans haven't been killed.
Theresa
an inspiring collection of stories, that started me reading books like the Game of Thrones, and Wild cards... I bought it originally because of the anne mccaffrey Robert silverberg stories.
Satia
I enjoyed this volume more than I did the first. I won't be reading the third for a while. For more:

Mach
I have only read two of the stories here, none of the other's interested me. The ones i read are by Robin Hobb and George RR Martin.
Buddy
A good story and interesting insight into the history of Westeros, the Targaryen dynasty, and some characters we've grown to love.
Tom Mueller
Novellas which fit existing series of works by well known authors:
Terry Goodkind; George R.R. Martin and Anne McCaffrey.
Lisa
Feb 21, 2012 Lisa added it
Legends 2 : Short Novels by the Masters of Modern Fantasy by Terry Goodkind (1999)
Chris
Joseph S. Mudd
Joseph S. Mudd marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
  • Year's Best Fantasy
  • Villains Victorious
  • The Chick is in the Mail (Chicks in Chainmail, #4)
  • Realms of Valor (Forgotten Realms: Anthologies, #1)
  • Lord of the Libraries (The Rover, #3)
  • Inside Straight (Wild Cards, #18)
  • Shroud of Shadow (Strands, #3)
  • The Kingless Land (Band of Four, #1)
  • Impossible Odds (King's Blades, #5)
  • Get Off the Unicorn
  • The Medusa Plague (Dragonlance: Defenders of Magic, #2)
  • A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic
  • The Covenant Rising (Dreamtime, #1)
  • The Cool War
  • The Plague Lords of Ruel (Lone Wolf, #13)
  • Mainline
  • The Crown of Kings (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #4)
  • When the Soldiers Were Gone
Robert Silverberg is one of science fiction’s most beloved writers, and the author of such contemporary classics as Dying Inside, Downward to the Earth and Lord Valentine’s Castle, as well as At Winter’s End, also available in a Bison Books edition. He is a past president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and the winner of five Nebula Awards and five Hugo Awards. In 2004 the Sc ...more
More about Robert Silverberg...
Lord Valentine's Castle (Lord Valentine, #1) Legends The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 1 Dying Inside Legends II