Start by marking “The Essentials Of Classic Italian Cooking” as Want to Read:
The Essentials Of Classic Italian Cooking

The Essentials Of Classic Italian Cooking

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  6,951 ratings  ·  120 reviews
This book includes recipes from the author's two previous books on Italian cooking, as well as more than 50 new ones, and incorporates advice on the use of kitchen equipment and ingredients.
Paperback
Published July 1st 1995 by MacMillan General Books (first published February 12th 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Essentials Of Classic Italian Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Essentials Of Classic Italian Cooking

Cynthia
My favorite when it comes to Italian food. I love Marcella, though my Italian friend Christiana says Marcella and her adorable husband are "trailer court Italian."

We actually own TWO copies of this book, the nice newer copy you pick up to leaf through, and a tattered older copy that I learned Italian cooking from. It has a permanent rip for the risotto recipe, the polenta recipe, the braised carrot with parmesean recipe and something else. Oh yeah, the braised leeks. Ah-MAHZ-ing.

Marcella can be
Michiyo 'jia' Fujiwara
01/01/2013
Tahun baru, harapan baru, genre buku baru..dan ini dia..jreng..jreng..culinary books..tebel benget lagi..buku bantal..untung maya bentuknya ;p dan bacanya aja sampe setahun..

Ahh..harus ngomong dari mana ya..Italia, bicara tentang tentang Italia..apa hal pertama yang terlintas dibenak anda? Sepakbola; milanisti..ayo siapa fansnya milanisti?? Atau mungkin anda fansnya the old lady alias La Vecchia Signora ? oke lanjut lagi..apa lagi yang terlintas dibenak anda, bicara tentang Italia? Fas
Kira
Feb 06, 2014 Kira rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to learn how to cook (especially italian)
I love this cookbook!

At the time I bought it, I was living in London with an italian man who was homesick and dreaming of mama's cooking back in Venice. I felt like the author, Signora Hazan, was my own private teacher and my live-in guinea pig definitely approved of the risotto (one of my first endeavors). And don't think it's all just pasta and starches! There are lots of recipes for soups that are easy and satisfying as meals, as well as frittate (like quiche), more than 150 pages on meats, t
christina white
Apr 04, 2007 christina white rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone trying to cook Italian food
Shelves: cookbooks
This book is what I consider one of the three essential reference texts for anyone who is serious about the culinary arts. I have learned almost everything I know about Italian food from this book...and I'm still learning from it after ten years! I brought this book with me the year I lived in Milan and tried to cook my way through it...it was impossible since it is such a tome. Fabulous recipes which are easy to execute thanks to brilliantly clear instructions. A prodigy of James Beard, you can ...more
Katie
O mia cara Marcella! Thanks to her I will never eat bottled tomato sauce again!

I have used this cookbook on a near daily basis since I received it as a gift two months ago. I have made and frozen almost all of her tomato-based sauces and I cannot imagine ever opening another jar of Prego in my life. Chicken cacciatora, pan-broiled steaks with tomatoes and olives, spaghetti alla carbonara... So many favorite dishes, so few days of the week.
Cara
Probably one of the most comprehensive Italian cookbooks I've come across to date. While I did borrow this from my local library, Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking seems an indispensable cookbook for just plain good, beautiful, delicious Italian food. The book is filled with countless authentic recipes from Italy's many diverse regions, ranging in difficulty, but none that seem undoable for most home chefs.

The step-by-step instructions are easy to follow. The recipes generally do not requir
Shannon
I absolutely love this cookbook. I'm not much of a cook, lack of experience in the kitchen. Well, I've been on a cookbook craze of late. I'm attempting to learn to cook. After seeing great reviews for Hazan's classic, I decided to get it. I was a bit nervous, given my lack of culinary skills. I'm here to tell you this cookbook is accessible even to the novice. One thing I love about this book is the information regarding the differences in cooking throughout Italy. I love history and learning ab ...more
Ellen
This book combines Hazan's first two books, the Classic Italian Cookbook and More Classic Italian Cooking. While the combined volume is convenient, something is lost. Specifically, in the original works, Hazan gave suggest accompaniments for each recipe. You pick a Primi course, for instance, and she suggests Secondis, and vice versa. This helps you to come up with a truly Italian meal, as two courses are characteristic there. I have found this to be very valuable, and it has been omitted from E ...more
Lynne
I still look to this book for recipes of many classic dishes that I rarely make but should make more frequently.
Tim
Best Italian Cookbook...Tastes Like You are There!
Ethan Miller
This is a wonderful and classic cookbook. My mother has used it for years and gave me a copy some years ago and I go to it often. For pasta dishes, meat dishes, salads. There are some extraordinary dishes in this book that you have most likely not had before and will cherish for all your years as a cook and food lover. A great book for a beginner or an expert cook or anyone in between. One for the ages of your kitchen.
Jules
Marcella is the cranky Julia Child, but she does know her Italian cooking and with her husband who writes/translates into english her books teaches you the basics of Italian cooking. Her pesto and Bolognese recipes are amazing and staples in our house. You have to put up with her snottiness (which just cracks me up), but it's worth it.
Adam
I've never used this reviewer's cliche before, but if I could give it ten stars, I would.

If you think your pasta sauces are good, make hers and stand astounded.
If you think you have a handle on making pasta, pizza, gnocchi, soups et cetera, let her school you.
If you want to eat really, really well every night, then work your way through this cookbook.

This is widely considered to be the definitive Italian cookbook, by a woman considered to be the Julia Child of Italian cooking. You will learn, yo
Maxine
One of my go-to kitchen cookbooks.

Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking was the first traditional Italian cookbook available in North America and started the love affair that North America has with Italian cuisine. This cookbook goes through every course you could want; salads, soups, pasta, chicken, beef, lamb, pork, desserts, risotto and more.
There may not be large, glossy, colour photos in this book, but it more than makes up for it in style, attitude and general cookery awesomeness.

Marcell
Todd Templeman
This was the first "real" cookbook I ever had.

Well, that's not quite fair. The old stand by red and white checked "Better Homes" cookbook that Mom gave me when I went off to college worked well for some key dishes, and doesn't deserve the quite so much of the dissing it gets.

But Marcella Hazan's masterpiece can teach a raw novice how to love food. For twenty years I've been going back to it, after some pretty long detours through other classic cookbooks, and it just keeps dropping my jaw.

She tau
Evan Hansen
"Cooking" in the United States has often become an exercise in precisely following instructions in glossy magazines that are more travelogues and guidebooks for the upper middle class than actually learning anything. I have been extremely pleased to find brief but high quality cultural explanations, multiple variations of dishes, and a focus on simplicity and authenticity in this compendium of Hazan's earlier cookbooks. It's broken down intuitively into various types of dishes and ingredients, a ...more
Angela
Jul 27, 2008 Angela rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Angela by: Sam's mom
A brilliant work of comedy! That would be anytime Marcella waxes authoritarian about the exact timing for adding dried pasta to rapidly boiling water. ;)

Well, this is your book if you want authentic, well-organized, and delicious instructions to prepare meals featuring lasagne, sauteed spinach, pesto, homemade pasta, or a shockingly simple sauce for spaghetti (recipe: heat olive oil. Add garlic - optionally, add as much hot red pepper as you can hack - cook for two minutes. Toss with spaghetti a
Rebecca
Jun 04, 2007 Rebecca rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cooks, italophiles, foodies
Shelves: foodandwine
This is the cookbook I probably use most often. Marcella's recipes, for as intimidating as they may sound (risotti, stuffed squid, spinach and ricotta gnocchi, carciofi alla romana, etc.) are all authentic, easy to follow, and turn out properly every single time. Furthermore, there's lots of great information about ingredients (and how to select the best and freshest), history and culture as relates to ingredients and dishes, and overall good, sound cooking common-sense. She is occasionally more ...more
Lfrisch
This book was recommended to me by a Chef when he was teaching me the art of making fresh pasta. It is easy to use with the recipes being very clear and basically spot on. I love that Marcella has also included additional notes at the end of the recipes giving clarification and "Do ahead" pointers. I started with the pasta recipes and now have moved into the main entrees.

If you want a good starting point to produce results that will match a Chef, I suggest Drunk Roast Pork or make the Bolognese
Elizabeth Minchilli
A classic that all those interested in Italian cooking should have on their shelves. Like many others, this is the book that truly taught me the basics of Italian cooking.
Kate
I'm a not-very-good cook who would love to be a great chef. Hazan's cookbook was recommended by a friend who is a fantastic cook, and it was absolutely illuminating. About 30 pages in, I thought "man, I'm doing everything wrong!" And you will feel like that as you read this book. She has very exacting standards, and she is very peculiar about ingredients - only fresh, whole cloves of garlic that you chop yourself, never the stuff in a jar, etc. But by faithfully following her recipes to the lett ...more
M.
She's a wonderful traditionalist in many ways -- sometimes the recipes take on more steps than necessary, but she is -- was -- a taskmaster. And more than a few of us like that about her.
Rob Durante
My goto Italian cookbook. This is the essence of Italian cooking simple recipes using great ingredients. The recipes are simple and logical. Italian does not have to have garlic and gravy like sauce to be Italian.

American's often learned what Italian food was from emigrants from the south Italy that opened restaurants using red checkered table clothes. These neighborhood eatery's of the 60's and 70's often used too much garlic and served food of poor quality in my opinion.

Hazan will broaden yo
M
I'm doing a "cook-through" of this book with a group of friends. The recipes look absolutely amazing! Can't wait to try them out.
Emily Lindenberg
This is truly the essentials of Italian cooking. Not only do you learn how to butterfly and chicken breast, stuff a squid and de-bone a leg of lamb, but her recipes are also basic, flavorful and the majority of them are easy to make with everyday ingredients you have in your pantry. Her bottom line is building flavor. If you take nothing except one lesson from this book, take her advise about being a patient cook and taking the time to build a strong base flavor with good olive oil, garlic, onio ...more
Alyssa
Gift from a friend, has proven highly useful in figuring out how to prepare excellent classic Italian dishes.
Amy
Very few fantastic recipes. I ended up giving this one away.
Stephanie Belardo
I love this cookbook and use it a LOT!
  • All about Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
  • The New Book of Middle Eastern Food
  • The Splendid Table
  • Authentic Mexican 20th Anniversary Ed: Regional Cooking from the Heart of Mexico
  • Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking
  • Classic Indian Cooking
  • Mastering the Art of French Cooking: Vol. 2
  • James Beard's American Cookery
  • The Zuni Cafe Cookbook: A Compendium of Recipes and Cooking Lessons from San Francisco's Beloved Restaurant
  • Bistro Cooking
  • Asian Dumplings: Mastering Gyoza, Spring Rolls, Samosas, and More
  • Sauces: Classical and Contemporary Sauce Making
  • The Silver Spoon
  • Chez Panisse Cafe Cookbook
Born in 1924 in Italy, she later moved in New York where she founded a cooking school specialized in traditional Italian cooking. She published her first cooking book, The Classic Italian Cook Book, in 1973.
More about Marcella Hazan...
The Classic Italian Cook Book: The Art of Italian Cooking and the Italian Art of Eating Amarcord: Marcella Remembers Marcella Cucina Marcella's Italian Kitchen Marcella Says...: Italian Cooking Wisdom from the Legendary Teacher's Master Classes, with 120 of Her Irresistible New Recipes

“Once the pasta is sauced, serve it promptly, inviting your guests and family to put off talking and start eating.” 0 likes