Start by marking “The Chrysanthemum and the Song: Music, Memory, and Identity in the South American Japanese Diaspora” as Want to Read:

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  4 ratings  ·  1 review
Music helps form and nurture ethnic identity for large populations of people of Japanese descent in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Peru, and Paraguay. In a story never before told, Dale Olsen offers a musical history and ethnography of this vibrant Asian diaspora, the largest population of overseas Japanese in the world and one of the most successful subcultures in South Amer...more
Published December 31st 2004 by University Press of Florida (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Chrysanthemum and the Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chrysanthemum and the Song

Lauren Lastrapes
Apr 29, 2007 Lauren Lastrapes rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who's interested in diasporas
I'm still reading this. Okay! I'm done! It was okay. I am reviewing this for a journal, so maybe I'll just post that on here when I get to it. Which has to be, like, by Friday!
adrenalexpire
adrenalexpire marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
SaraKa
SaraKa marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2012
Music of the Warao of Venezuela: Song People of the Rain Forest World Flutelore: Folktales, Myths, and Other Stories of Magical Flute Power South America, Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean (Garland Encyclopedia of World Music, Volume 2) Music of El Dorado: The Ethnomusicology of Ancient South American Cultures Popular Music in Vietnam (Routledge Studies in Ethnomusicology)