Start by marking “A Man Called Peter: The Story Of Peter Marshall” as Want to Read:
A Man Called Peter: The Story Of Peter Marshall

A Man Called Peter: The Story Of Peter Marshall

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  7,459 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
A Man Called Peter is a book about love- the love between a dynamic man and his God, and the tender, romantic love between a man and the girl he married. The extraordinary life of Peter Marshall is a gripping adventure- a poor Scottish immigrant, he became Chaplain of the US Senate and one of the most revered men in America and an inspiration to Americans of all faiths.
Published December 31st 1995 by Chosen Books (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about A Man Called Peter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Man Called Peter

Teresa TL Bruce
I thoroughly enjoyed learning about Peter Marshall's life, beginning with his humble beginnings in Scotland where he first yearned to serve God. The story of how this impoverished young man was led to the United States, how he became a Presbyterian minister, and how he ultimately became Chaplain of the Senate is filled with illustrations of ways a loving Heavenly Father frequently answers prayers through the actions of those He puts around us--and how we need to listen for the opportunities to m ...more
Alicia Willis
Feb 03, 2014 Alicia Willis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating look into the life of Peter Marshall from his wife Catherine's perspective. I was so encouraged and uplifted by the life of this amazing, sold-out-to-God man. A must-read for pastors, ministry workers, and especially pastor's wives.
Josiah
Sep 18, 2011 Josiah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most enjoyable biographies I have read.
Dr. Peter Marshall was an Irish Immigrant come to the United States under orders from the "Chief", God, to be a minister of the Word. In ten years God took him from a low-income student bachelor to the Chaplain of the U.S. Senate.
His wife, Catherine, writes this eloquent, endearing expose of a man viewed as a national religious leader but personally a human struggling to do God's will. As his wife and many others concluded Peter was a man of God
Wanda
Nov 04, 2011 Wanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just about everyone who loves good Christian fiction knows about the Christy series that was on television several years ago. You can now buy the whole set on DVD from Christianbook.com among other places. But before the series there was the book. (See my other recommendations on the old classics tab). And before the book, Catherine Marshall met a man called Peter.

This book is a classic that is a must read for everyone who loves a good story. I highly recommend it for every home library. I am fo
Tarissa
Nov 02, 2016 Tarissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an AMAZING and INSPIRING book this is!

I was drawn to reading it after watching the film, and was not let down. It's impossible to say if I liked the film or book better (and that's a major compliment to the movie, as the book is ALWAYS better than the film version!).

Some people may also recognize the author Catherine Marshall as the writer of Christy (which is a great novel). But in this book, A Man Called Peter, Catherine tells the story of how her husband Peter reached the pinnacle of his
Teri-k
For years I either read this book or watched the movie every Easter. It's been a while since I've done that, so when I picked it up again this year I wondered if I'd still consider it worth reading. Thankfully I do. In fact I really enjoyed this book, about a wonderful man of God who was an real person. I think his wife, Catherine Marshall, does a good job showing his strengths, weaknesses and humanity while still portraying his powerful faith.

There are many examples of times Marshall followed t
Cliff
Nov 27, 2014 Cliff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I stumbled upon the movie by the same title, which made me want to know more abut the man. I got a book of his sermons and read it cover to cover. I actually got this book because of the sermons in the back, but thought I should read the book while I was at it, movie aside.

As typical, this is a lot more complete and in depth than the movie. Yet the story remains the same and it's the story that really is remarkable. Peter Marshall was a truly great man. He didn't live nearly long enough, but li
Betty
Jul 01, 2012 Betty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the last Catherine Marshall book I've read; again, I was not disappointed. Unlike Christy and Julie, A Man Called Peter is not a novel but a biography of her husband's life.

It is a wonderfully inspiring tale of a man called by God. A Man Called Peter is the story of a preacher, Peter Marshall, whose congregations outgrew their churches time and again; who eventually rises to the position of Chaplain of the United States Senate.

It is a love story, a deep, tender, love story, underscored b
Dave
Feb 24, 2013 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Someone gave me this book to read, and I enjoyed it for two reasons. First, Catherine Marshall provides a glimpse into an age now long gone--the age when church was part of the institutional fabric of our culture, and how "great preachers" such as Marshall were celebrated and sought out. Second, the selection of Marshall's sermons at the end of the book are a great read. They were haunting at times--often covering insights that are just as relevant now as when they were preached over 60 years ag ...more
Natalie
It is a lovely story about Peter Marshall who became the Senate Chaplin in the 40's. Unfortunately, only about 10 pages focuses on that detail of his life, the rest is devoted to how he got there and what an amazing person he was. It was a little too devoted to how amazing he was, I would have enjoyed a more realistic look at the man and seen his faults and how, despite them he became successful. However, if you want a sweet love story this is one.
Laurel
Nov 21, 2009 Laurel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars, who am I to argue with history? I was thrilled to meet Peter John Marshall, the son, ten years ago. He was very nice, and spoke to me several times during the week of revivals. He quoted me as " a young teacher" [I was 35!:] who mentioned how hard it was to get the students to say the Pledge of Allegiance seriously (before 9/11). I am always affected when I read this book or watch the movie. It reaches my emotions and spirit in ways that few other books do.
Michael
Jun 12, 2009 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific biography of Peter Marshall, a Scottish-American Presbyterian pastor and preacher. This man's story is an inspiration to me of God's work in a man's life to raise him up from humble beginnings to the Chaplaincy of the U.S. Senate. It includes as well some of his sermons and prayers. In sum, it's a wonderful work about this gifted and graced man. I also enjoyed the film of the same title.
Poiema
Apr 27, 2015 Poiema rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fiery Scottsman who became chaplain of the United States Senate left a wonderful legacy of written prayers. He died too young (in his 40's as I recall). This memoir is written by his wife, Catherine Marshall, who later became a distinguished Christian author. I love Peter's prayers; they are written in a unique format, almost like poetry and are as fresh today as the day they were penned.
Luckngrace
Jul 24, 2010 Luckngrace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, christian
I was touched by Catherine's love for her husband. She inspired me with how she handled Peter's death and, though I read her books years ago, they came back to soothe me when my own dear husband died.
Chrisanne
Sep 19, 2014 Chrisanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I was first introduced to Peter Marshall through my Richard Todd phase- if you haven't seen the movie you should. But this book was great. Most books that are posthumously written by wives can be gushy. But this one wasn't. And I loved the appropriate last line.
Cathy
Apr 07, 2014 Cathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Cathy by: highschool english teacher
Shelves: christian
Read this when I was a teenager and fell in love with it. I love the work he did and I think we all lost a beautiful soul when he died. Not many people like him alive today.
Susan Story
Jul 19, 2015 Susan Story rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it. This is the book that changed my life. It started me thinking about becoming an author like Catherine and it's alot about finding your CALLING. I highly recommend it!
Hank Pharis
Peter Marshall was one of those Pastors that God uniquely blessed. His story is exciting and encouraging.
Bettie Gross
Oct 20, 2016 Bettie Gross rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book
Shirleen
Sep 18, 2016 Shirleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book as a teenager and it was one of my all time favorite inspirational books. Want to read it again and see if I still feel the same way about it.
Jeffcharie Charie
I wish I could have heard him speak when he was alive. This book was really inspiring.
Desiree Streib
Apr 09, 2013 Desiree Streib rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Peter Marshall was an amazing man. His story along with his faith was inspiring. To see him struggle with the same things that I struggle with today was a relief; the only difference is that he was able to place it all in God's hands while that is something I am still working on.
Catherine Marshall does a terrific job of telling us Peter's life and how he went from working to support a struggling family in Scotland to become a beloved Senate Chaplain in Washington DC. Even though it states in th
Christine
Feb 01, 2015 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I graduated from Agnes Scott College, from which Catherine Marshall also graduated. When I was there in the late 70's and early 80's, she was not much respected by the English department, in spite of the fact that she was a best-selling author. I think the primary reason was that she was a practicing Christian, but also there was some intellectual snobbery at work as well. I read A Man Called Peter after I was accepted but before I started my freshman year, and then reread it years later after I ...more
Will Waller
Reading this book reminds me that greatness can come in unexpected packages. For Peter Marshall, it came as he was a regular joe who was called to be greater than he expected to be. Someone who first loved the ocean was called to be the voice of hope in the Senate. I enjoyed his wife's writing as it was funny, unique, and touching. He struck me as a man who lived fast and died young. He was someone who had purpose in his story. He did something with his life and did not languish but flourished. ...more
MJ
May 23, 2015 MJ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Melinda
Sep 26, 2011 Melinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a little different than what I was expecting. I read Christy by Catherine Marshall a few years ago so when I saw this at the thrift store I thought it was a follow-up to that book. Instead it was about the life of her husband who was a fairly famous minister. I really enjoyed learning about his life and how they met and their married life and I enjoyed insights into their deep faith, they set a really nice example even if we are of different faiths. I only got a little tired of rea ...more
Carolyn F.
I read this in the 1980s. Interesting book about how she met her husband and they got together. He became the chaplain for the Senate. She writes about her medical problems and how they affected her marriage and her seeking help through intense prayer and calling upon the Holy Spirit. I liked that she didn't gloss over the bad parts and you really felt for Peter to have a young wife with so many problems. Tragic ending. I never watched the movie.
Dick Baldwin
Jul 10, 2008 Dick Baldwin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone.
Shelves: biography
The hype surrounding Peter Marshall lived on after his death due to this book and the movie made from it. Inspiring? Yes, but not in the way that would bring the heathen into the fold. Peter Marshall was no Richard Todd, but his works and story have an earthy appeal. What makes him truly inspiring and interesting is himself, not his message. He was no fraud, his heart was clear I do believe; us heathens with open minds can marvel at the life led by a Scotsman literally saved by his Lord.
Michelle Dunlap
I throughly enjoyed the novels Christy and Julie, but I have not had a chance to read A Man Called Peter. I did have a chance to watch the movie when I was younger before I knew about the book and was moved by how much this man took on in such a little amount of time. This is a biography of Catherine Marshall's husband life and his path with GOD. It show how strong his faith and personality was, but at the same time he was a humble man. This is a must read for me.
Vicki
Feb 21, 2016 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very nicely written biography of Peter Marshall. He was a Presbyterian minister that had originally come from Scotland. He met and married Catherine and they lived in small houses and made a simple life for themselves. He was called to be the chaplain of the senate before he passed away. It is an inspirational story that shows he was human yet called to do lofty things. A great book that should be read by anyone called into the ministry.
Short Review 5 15 Oct 23, 2013 04:58PM
  • Tramp for the Lord
  • End of the Spear
  • Lords of the Earth
  • No Compromise
  • Jungle Pilot: The Gripping Story of the Life and Witness of Nate Saint, Martyred Missionary to Ecuador
  • The Autobiography of George Muller
  • Oswald Chambers Abandoned to God: The Life Story of the Author of My Utmost for His Highest
  • Mimosa: A True Story
  • Tortured for Christ
  • Ruth, A Portrait: The story of Ruth Bell Graham
Marshall was born in Johnson City, Tennessee.[1][2] She was the daughter of the Reverend John Ambrose Wood and Leonora Whitaker Wood.[1] From the age of nine until her graduation from high school, Marshall was raised in Keyser, West Virginia,[1] where her father served as pastor of a Presbyterian church from 1924 to 1942.[1]

While a junior at Agnes Scott College, she met Peter Marshall, marrying hi
More about Catherine Marshall...

“Still, he never felt that the sermons he wrote at the cottage were good. By the time he got back to Washington to preach them, they no longer excited him. They seemed cold, lifeless. This was probably because Peter's best sermons rose out of the soil of emotion in his own heart. That emotion had to be a present, valid reality. He could not conjure it up.” 4 likes
“Like most ministers, Peter was not the best judge of his own sermons. Almost invariably when he thought he had written one of his best, the rest of us did not rate it so highly. And, when on Saturday night he was bemoaning a "terrible sermon," he could be pretty sure his congregation would think it terrific. How other people rated his sermons was a constant source of astonishment to him. "That's what keeps me humble," he often said.” 2 likes