Start by marking “What a Year! (26 Fairmount Avenue, #4)” as Want to Read:
What a Year! (26 Fairmount Avenue, #4)

What a Year! (26 Fairmount Avenue #4)

In a review of the third 26 Fairmount Avenue book, On My Way, School Library Journal said, "Readers will be delighted with the final line: 'There's more coming!'"

Well, here it is: Celebrate Tomie's sixth birthday in style, watch as he dresses up as Snow White for his first halloween trick-or-treating, join in as he celebrates holidays with his family, suffers through a b
Published March 4th 2002 by Putnam Juvenile (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about What a Year!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What a Year!

Tomie tells about the end of 1940, when he was in kindergarten.

Highlights by third grader:
He got chicken pox
He was in the Christmas recital for his class
He dressed up as snow white for Halloween and his brother dressed up like the wicked witch
He saw Pinocchio in the theater on Thanksgiving
He got to cook his favorite breakfast, Pop-eye, for his birthday
Emile Mirra
Jul 06, 2017 Emile Mirra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Pending.
Sherica
Jun 10, 2017 Sherica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audiobook with my son. This was our favorite. Tomie does things my son does, but in 1930s things were looked at differently- better. I hope my son feels he's not alone.
Paige Soule
Jun 14, 2017 Paige Soule rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this series. Paints quite the picture of a boys recollections during that time period.
Patricia
Apr 01, 2014 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth installment in the 26 Fairmount Avenue series. In this book Tomie turned 6 years old with a party at school. I love all of the details he remembers and recounts about his birthday. His family showered him with love and attention. The first four chapters are all about his birthday. Tomie's birthday is September 15th. (He turns 80 this year!) The rest of the book recounted Halloween (he dressed up as Snow White that year, and his brother, Buddy, went as the Wicked Witch), Thanks ...more
Josiah
Mar 01, 2010 Josiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is wonderful, wonderful stuff here! I hope that no one is missing out on these fantastically charming stories of Tomie dePaola's because they dismiss the books out of hand for their brevity. Rarely have I come across stories that contained such delightful charm at every turn the way that the 26 Fairmount Avenue books do.

What a Year takes us through the remainder of Tomie's adventurous year of 1940, when his family has moved into a new house and his new baby sister become frighteningly ill
Luann
Oct 31, 2011 Luann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this fourth book in Tomie dePaola's autiobiographical series, young Tomie is in first grade. For his birthday he gets to have a party at school. I remember how important birthdays were in first grade! My teacher had a birthday song on a record that the class listened to every time it was someone's birthday. The birthday student got to choose one friend to stand with them and watch the record spin round as it played. Although I don't remember getting to watch the record on my birthday. I wonde ...more
Jimmy Navy
Ini buku ketemu di tumpukan buku-buku bekas Pasar Senen.

When Tomie’s age turned to six, he experienced many wonderful things in a year. And, he wrote those wonderful things on his very own new diary, given by his grandmother as a Christmas present.

Here is what Tomie wrote:

December 31, 1940 NEW YEAR’S EVE

Dear Diary,

Here are some important things that happened this year.
Moving into the new house
My baby sister Maureen is born
Maureen going to the hospital, but getting better
Dancing in Miss Leah’s
Doreen
Tomie gets to have his sixth birthday party at school, the Friday before his actual birthday. He has a fun surprise birthday party on Sunday, at Nana's in Wallingford. The book includes his and Buddy's Halloween trick-or-treating, as well as Christmas and New Year's Eve.

It's fun how Tomie makes out his 'three' Christmas lists...one for gifts he will give, one for gifts he would like from family, and one specifically for Santa! AND...Tomie being Tomie, you just KNOW that he tries to stay awake t
Katie Fitzgerald
What a Year! brings the year 1940 to a close, as Tomie celebrates his September 15th birthday, goes trick-or-treating as Snow White, and becomes ill with the chicken pox just before Christmas. Despite the historical setting, the holiday celebrations are something to which most contemporary kids can relate, and the details of celebrating these holidays at home and at school even brought back memories for me of my 1980s early childhood. This book would be a perfect Fall read-aloud for families to ...more
Melissa
Oct 13, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this sweet memoir of one of our favorite authors. He is close to my dad's age, so it was fun to read aloud with my children and think about our grandpap. It was especially nice to read with Anthony as the character in the book celebrates his sixth birthday,and Anthony is just about to celebrate his. We all agreed we'd like to read the others in the series.
momma.hailey
Jan 05, 2015 momma.hailey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Today we finished books 1-4 on audiobook! The author reading his own childhood biography was tremendous, and he knows exactly the details that children want to hear about. My children (8,5,4,2) were disappointed when it was over. Derek and I equally enjoyed this series and would read it again.
Amber Graves
This would be a good book to get an idea of different cultures and to see examples of what some people do for traditions. Throughout the book, Tomie is highlighting the big events of one of his childhood years. Therefore it tells his family's traditions and customs. He had received a journal at the end of that year and so these events were written for him since he was a child.
Deirdre
Jun 12, 2013 Deirdre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The series continues as enjoyable as ever! Who knew that Tomie dePaola was as talented an actor/reader as an author/illustrator? Delightful!
Kathleen
Apr 12, 2016 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2002
Tomie's amazing family story.
Amy
4th in the series which were are loving.
Scott Williams
5be45eda-5748-443e-a1af-9aeb80be36d6
Joy
Apr 24, 2013 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poor Tomie got chicken pox. And he'd had them before. I felt so sorry for him. This book covered the events leading toward Christmas.
Michelle
Sep 22, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-annabelle
We can’t wait to get into the War Years series.
PWRL
Jan 16, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
A
Tracie
Nov 01, 2007 Tracie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elem.
Shelves: elem, historical
A sweet, funny memoir of the author's childhood which covers Halloween and Christmas.
Brenda Pierce McGuigan
Brenda Pierce McGuigan rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2013
Cassandra Hetherington
Cassandra Hetherington rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2014
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2015
Bethany
Bethany rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Kay Leslie
Kay Leslie rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2009
Leslie
Leslie rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2011
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2009
Pearl
Pearl rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Judy
Judy rated it really liked it
May 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Pioneer Girl: The Story of Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • The Boy Who Drew Birds: A Story of John James Audubon
  • Wonder Horse: The True Story of the World's Smartest Horse
  • Anything But Ordinary Addie: The True Story of Adelaide Herrmann, Queen of Magic
  • Ben Franklin's Almanac: Being a True Account of the Good Gentleman's Life
  • Action Jackson
  • Small Wonders: Jean-Henri Fabre and His World of Insects
  • The Christmas Doll
  • Miss Dorothy and Her Bookmobile
  • Breakthrough!: How Three People Saved "Blue Babies" and Changed Medicine Forever
  • All the Way to America: The Story of a Big Italian Family and a Little Shovel
  • The Adventures of Sir Lancelot the Great (Knights' Tales, #1)
  • Polar: The Titanic Bear
Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) is best known for his books for children.
He's been published for 40 years and has written and/or illustrated over 200 books, including 26 Fairmount Avenue, Strega Nona, and Meet the Barkers.
Tomie dePaola and his work have been recognized with the Caldecott Honor Award, the Newbery Honor Award and the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure.
More about Tomie dePaola...

26 Fairmount Avenue (8 books)
  • 26 Fairmount Avenue (26 Fairmount Avenue, #1)
  • Here We All Are (26 Fairmount Avenue, #2)
  • On My Way (26 Fairmount Avenue Book, #3)
  • Things Will Never Be the Same (26 Fairmount Avenue, #5)
  • I'm Still Scared: A 26 Fairmount Avenue Book (26 Fairmount Avenue, #6)
  • Why?: The War Years (26 Fairmount Avenue, #7)
  • For the Duration: The War Years (26 Fairmount Avenue, #8)