Start by marking “Hard Landing (Dan Shepherd, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hard Landing (Dan Shepherd, #1)

Hard Landing (Dan Shepherd #1)

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  2,654 Ratings  ·  153 Reviews
The first book in the bestselling Dan 'Spider' Shepherd series.

Dan 'Spider' Shepherd is used to putting his life on the line. Working for an elite undercover squad he has lied, cheated and conned in order to bring Britain's most wanted criminals to justice.
But when a powerful drugs baron starts to kill off witnesses to his crimes, Shepherd is given his most dangerous assi
Published August 16th 2004 by Hodder (first published February 16th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Hard Landing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hard Landing

Khanh (the Grinch)
Jan 13, 2016 Khanh (the Grinch) rated it did not like it
Accused of cyberbullying fellow authors. Even J.K. Rowlings has spoken up about it.

Shannon  D Duprey
May 11, 2011 Shannon D Duprey rated it really liked it
I bought this book because I got it for a bargain and I don't regret buying it. It's very fast paced and it kept me entertained. Well Done. I am off buying the next book. Stephen leather is one of the best writers. If you enjoy thriller, you will like the book.
Sara
Jan 18, 2016 Sara rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-for-me
When JK Rowling calls your behavior "shameful", there is no way any halfway decent person will purchase your book.
ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥
After reading Soft Target and loving the action pace of the book, I decided to give this series a go. And here, after finishing the first book I found that it's no different.

This first book of the Dan Shepherd series lay the grounds for his character. He's a SAS trooper who moved to undercover job to satisfy his wife. And because he's an "adrenaline junkie" he can't refuse any assignment even when it comes to his family. He is assigned to work undercover as "Bob Macdonald" in a Cat A prison, wh
Best Crime Books & More
I haven't read any of Stephen Leather's books and chose this as it was an absolute bargain on Kindle at 49 pence. I am a fan of books that are part of a series and as this was the first in the series featuring Dan `Spider' Shepherd I looked forward to it.

Dan Shepherd is a very likeable character. He is a former SAS guy who has quit the SAS to keep his wife happy. Now he works as an undercover policeman and his latest operation is not an easy one. He has to infiltrate a drug baron from within pri
Lily
May 21, 2015 Lily marked it as no-thank-you
Shelves: reviewed, book-series
Not going to read this novella (not short story, and "most definitely not a pamphlet"), lest I get harassed by the author, should I end up with a less than favorable opinion of his book novella.
Monnie
Feb 19, 2012 Monnie rated it really liked it
I admit to having a hard time getting into this one, the first in author Stephen Leather's series featuring undercover agent Dan "Spider" Shepherd. In large part, that's because the author is British, and all of us Yanks know the British have trouble spelling words like "colour" and have other rather funky terms for some items (a "boot" here is made for walking, not looking in to find a spare tire). Fortunately for me, I've got a wonderful daughter-in-law who speaks British, so I had a bit of a ...more
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Quote from author:
""One thing I have never been able to understand is why an organisation like the National Black Police Association is allowed to exist. It is by its very nature racist - hoping to promote the interests of a group solely on the basis of the colour of its members. A police officer can lose his job if he is found to be a member of the British National Party, which in the past excluded non-whites. But the NPBA, which is solely for non-white police officers, is allowed to operate w
Wan Ni
Feb 26, 2011 Wan Ni rated it liked it
Dianne
Aug 12, 2011 Dianne rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers
A tense thriller, which I read in one sitting. It is set in the maximum security prison Sheldon - remand section. Bob Macdonald caught in the act of armed robbery during which a policeman is shot refuses to co-operate in any way. He has a completely clean sheet, with nothing on file - photo, fingerprints, DNA. To say any more will be a spoiler.
Ruth
Jul 23, 2011 Ruth rated it did not like it
Shelves: contemporary
Not for me, I'm afraid. The writing is good and the plot pacy but the plot/theme is not a favourite of mine. I am really starting to dislike enormously plots where the protagonist is spurred into action because of a threat to his family/loved ones etc.. As if there is never any other motive that would make these "heroes" act.
Gem
May 01, 2013 Gem rated it liked it
Hard Landing is a fast-paced read packed with action and tension. The concept of an undercover officer being stationed inside a high security prison is one that instantly had me hooked, and you really get a feel for the inmates’ life behind bars. I love that this is a British crime thriller and I couldn’t put the book down once I had started it. The book reminded me somewhat of a Nick Stone thriller.

I had a slight problem with the over-usage of logos and colours to describe the inmates’ attire;
Mrslakis
Oct 30, 2011 Mrslakis rated it really liked it
A solid book with good attention and description to detail of very unfamiliar situations and environments, which made it a most enjoyable read.

Ex SAS Spider Shepherd plays an undercover cop in a CAT A prison carrying out a delicate operation of finding out certain information about a fellow inmate, who is a rich and highly influential drugs dealer. The plot is good and the action surrounding it is consistent throughout the book.

The only criticism is that the highly influential drugs dealer remi
Heather
Mar 04, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing
Wow. The most exciting book I've read this year. The story is about an ex-SAS soldier turned undercover policeman who infiltrates a prison to bring down a drugs baron. Dan 'Spider' Shepherd, to quote the book, has balls of steel and is an excellent main character, walking the tightrope between hard man and human being with feelings very well.

The writing is excellent, clear, concise and on the edge of your seat. I gripped my Kindle so hard while reading this book it almost snapped in two! It doe
Sean Randall
Jun 19, 2016 Sean Randall rated it really liked it
Corkingly enjoyable, I'm really starting to find Leather's writing pretty compelling. There are more in the series and I certainly know where to go when I need another thriller fix this was British SAS at their best with an unusual but fascinating look inside the penal system
James
Jun 08, 2011 James rated it really liked it
Amy
Jan 13, 2016 Amy marked it as no-also-fuck-this
I never comment on the badly behaving authors, but goddamn, this guy was so bad, even The Queen Rowling commented on it. Goddamn.
Ashley
Jan 16, 2016 Ashley rated it liked it
Decent writing, I did originally give it 4 stars, but revised it when after a few months it was pretty forgettable. The 3 stars is completely for the book itself, because the author seems like a douche. I remember reading something forever ago about him using sock puppets online, attacking people who gave bad reviews of his books etc. Apparently he continued doing these things and others, going so far as to set up websites denigrating other authors who have spoken up about him in the past. Guy i ...more
Maggie Kiely
Sep 21, 2016 Maggie Kiely rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the Dan ‘Spider’ Shepherd series and my first read from Stephen Leather. Shepherd is an ex SAS soldier now with a secret Metropolitan Police unit. Their remit is to stay ‘deep’ undercover to get the worst criminals.
In this book ‘Spider’ finds himself at Her Majesty’s pleasure in a maximum high security facility. He is posing as an armed robber caught in the act. His mission is to get some information on drug trafficker and all round nasty piece of work Gerald Carpenter
Olivia Reynolds
May 01, 2016 Olivia Reynolds rated it really liked it
On a trip to England, I noticed my nephew reading one of my favorites authors, Lee Child. He'd only just discovered him and was going through all 20 of his books. He then told me of Stephen Leather who writes similar stories with an ongoing character named Dan "Spider" Shepherd. Shepherd is an ex SAS soldier who is now an undercover cop. I believer Hard Landing is the first book in this series and I thoroughly enjoyed it. He's ensconced in prison because of a robbery gone wrong in which he was g ...more
Zoe Jussel
Sep 28, 2011 Zoe Jussel rated it really liked it
Someone told me that Stephen Leather is basically a "man's read" but I have enjoyed every one so far. Maybe I have a smidge of testosterone. '-) Always good intrigue, a sit on the edge of your seat situation, and well written. I will look for some more down the line.
James Cridland
Aug 26, 2011 James Cridland rated it it was amazing
I bought this after reading - and enjoying - The Basement.

A good thriller - cleverly written, some nice twists and turns, and rather well done. Atmospheric, very craftily written, and believable too: all the best elements of a decent thriller. Nicely done.
Martin Cooper
Jul 24, 2011 Martin Cooper rated it it was amazing
A very good thriller that pulls you in from the start and forces you to just read a few more chapters before you put the Kindle down. I learnt a few things about prison life I did not know and shall be checking out the other books in the series.
Gwen
Jul 23, 2011 Gwen rated it it was ok
Pretty standard undercover cop in prison stuff. Very plot driven, though there was some character development in terms of the main character. I suppose this genre is to boys what chicklit is to girls - an undemanding read.
Richard
Jul 12, 2014 Richard rated it really liked it
My first Stephen Leather book and recommended to me by my partner. I thought that much of the first part of the book was frustratingly repetitive with the main character continually refusing to divulge his identity. It seemed to drag on for ages but once it got going, it never stopped for breath. I strongly recommend that if you like believable crime fiction, keep going with this one. The second half of the book was as good as it gets with this down to earth British crime thriller story. Plenty ...more
Fraser
Jun 23, 2012 Fraser rated it liked it
Easy to read action thriller.
You can tell from reading the books, the author is a bit of a stereotype Daily Mail reader (bigot).
good mindless action though, the bad guy always gets whats coming to him.
Leslie
Jul 17, 2011 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good fast paced thriller. Some predictable plot turns but that didnt spoil it. The tension around Shepherd's situation pretty well done and moved the story forward. Will read more by this author.
Kate Knight
Apr 24, 2011 Kate Knight rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: part-of-a-series
This book starts with a bang and just keeps going. Fast paced, well written, I felt real empathy for Spider. Want to get hold of the rest of the series.
Judy
Apr 08, 2010 Judy rated it it was amazing
I've not read a Dan Shepherd before and thought it was well written, fast moving with lots of action.
I enjoyed it!
  • Children of the Flower Power
  • The Gunfighter and The Gear-Head (The Raven Ladies, #1)
  • The Last 10 Seconds (Tina Boyd #5)
  • When Destiny Knocks (Destiny Saga, #1)
  • The Firelight of Maalda (Legend of the Raie'Chaelia, #2)
  • My Name is Dee
  • Learning To Love
  • Extraordinary
  • The Hanging Shed (Douglas Brodie, #1)
  • A Throne of Bones (Arts of Dark and Light, #1)
  • NOT A BOOK: The Auction Deal
  • The Hijack (Stratton, #2)
  • Remote Control (Nick Stone, #1)
  • Spectaccolo
  • Donor (Dr Steven Dunbar #1)
  • Dead Men's Dust (Joe Hunter, #1)
  • The Shadow Project (Ben Hope, #5)
  • Fallen Idols (DC Laura McGanity, #1)
Stephen Leather was a journalist for more than ten years on newspapers such as The Times, the Daily Mail and the South China Morning Post in Hong Kong. His bestsellers have been translated into more than ten languages. He has also written for television shows such as London's Burning, The Knock and the BBC's Murder in Mind series. For much of 2011 his self-published eBooks - including The Bestsell ...more
More about Stephen Leather...

Dan Shepherd (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Soft Target (Dan Shepherd, #2)
  • Cold Kill (Dan Shepherd, #3)
  • Hot Blood (Dan Shepherd, #4)
  • Dead Men (Dan Shepherd, #5)
  • Live Fire (Dan Shepherd, #6)
  • Rough Justice (Dan Shepherd, #7)
  • Fair Game (Dan Shepherd, #8)
  • False Friends (Dan Shepherd, #9)
  • True Colours (Dan Shepherd, #10)
  • White Lies (Dan Shepherd, #11)