Start by marking “The Vampire Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Vampire Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles, #2)

The Vampire Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #2)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  149,721 Ratings  ·  3,060 Reviews
Returning to the hypnotic world she so brilliantly created in Interview with the Vampire, Anne Rice demonstrates once again her power to enthrall.  With the same richness of drama, atmosphere and incident, she tells the fantastic story of the vampire Lestat, whom we first perceived as the seductive devil-vampire of Interview with the Vampire and whom we now follow through ...more
Hardcover, Reissue, 496 pages
Published September 12th 1985 by Knopf (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Vampire Lestat, please sign up.

Cidney S. Hi. Even though this question was posted a year ago, I decided to answer just in case there are others who have the same question. Also, this is one…moreHi. Even though this question was posted a year ago, I decided to answer just in case there are others who have the same question. Also, this is one of my absolute favorite books, and Lestat just might be my favorite character of any book I've read. That being said, I don't think it's necessary to read IWAV first.

Something to consider is that The Vampire, Lestat is written from Lestat's point of view, whereas, IWAV is written from Louis' viewpoint. Personally, while I thoroughly enjoyed IWAV and did read it first, I did not like the character, Lestat as depicted by Louis. Because of that, I almost didn't buy TVL. However, after reading a few pages, I decided to read it - so VERY glad I did. Lestat in the second book (his book LOL) is much more engaging, interesting, and ... ahem ... dare I say, fleshed out.

Lastly, it seems a good thing in a lot of cases, to read the first book in a series before moving on, but this book can stand alone. While you won't be lost, you will probably become very curious to know the first.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!(less)
Cidney S. Hi. I pretty much summed up my answer to this question in my previous post as to which one to read first, so check that out. But, the bottom line is:…moreHi. I pretty much summed up my answer to this question in my previous post as to which one to read first, so check that out. But, the bottom line is: I also did not like Lestat in IWAV, but fell in love with him in his version, TVL, and I'm pretty sure that if Lestat was reading this comment, the Brat Prince would say, "Not surprised. Of course, you fell in love with me. I am absolutely irresistible!!" Lol. Yes, he is.

So, he went from being a character that I didn't like at all in IWAV, to being my favorite character of any book. Anne Rice did such a fantastic job in The Vampire, Lestat giving him so many layers that you have to wonder if she actually met him, he seems so real. Lol

IWAV showed us through Louis, a pretty one-dimensional Lestat. This book delves into the origin and complicated, engaging character of Lestat.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

(less)

Eddie Black
Jan 01, 2009 Eddie Black rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that defined me. I don't mean that I turned goth or vampire or whatever. No... it started me thinking.

I was born and raised in the South. I didn't read anything else other than fantasy novels (like Dragonlance). I joined the Marines in 89 and while watching a movie about a teenage vampire it was mentioned that Dracula is 'good literature'. I went to the base library to check out Dracula and beside it on the shelf was this book. I took this one instead.

The book was grea
Christine (AR)
Dear Anne Rice:

NOT WORTHY.

Signed, All Fictional Vampires Who Are Not Lestat

This was a re-read for me, but in all honesty, I don't think I was ready for this book the first time I read it. Or at least, I didn't appreciate it for the sheer masterpiece of storytelling that it is, and it's not just the mood and the world and the mythology and the fast-moving plot -- more than anything, it's the characters.

Lestat, of course, Rice's 'brat prince', arrogant and compassionate and impossible, all at the
Antonio
¿Recuerdan a Lestat?

El vampiro “malo” de Entrevista con el vampiro

Pues él ha despertado de su letargo en el siglo XX, el maravilloso siglo XX con toda su modernidad, su moda, su televisión, su tecnología y su música, pero para sorpresa de Lestat se encuentra con un libro que narra parte de su existencia, contado por su compañero Louis, un libro que, según Lestat, está lleno de mezquindad y mentiras...

ahora es su turno, si Louis conto su versión ¿porque no Lestat? y Lestat lo hará mejor y más gr
Melissa
Oh, how I love Anne Rice.
I actually started reading these books after I read Twilight. Yes, surprisingly, I went back to vampire fiction after that. Meyer is a good writer, but once you've met Anne's Vampires, you're never going back. Anyhow, this book was great. It still has the good kind of vampires: the ones that sleep in coffins, drink human blood and burn in the sunlight.

description

This second book in the series wasn't disappointing, although I feared it might be, after reading the amazing 'Interview
Crystal Starr Light
The year is 1984, and Lestat is the famous lead singer of the group, The Vampire Lestat. He stumbles upon a simple little book, "Interview with the Vampire", starring Louis, his ersatz lover of sorts (because vampires don't exactly have lovers the same way humans do). So Lestat sets the record straight and tells the tale of his life as a vampire.

When people say this is better than Interview with the Vampire, they are not kidding. This book is light years better than "Interview". I almost wish th
Inés Izal
Nov 19, 2015 Inés Izal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Lestat fue el primer vampiro del que me enamoré.
Stepheny

3.5

The second installment of Anne Rice’s Vampire Chronicles switches perspective. The story is now being narrated by the one and only Lestat de Lioncourt. He is outraged by Louis’ tale and feels the need to defend himself. He decides to write a book detailing his long life as a vampire.

Lestat runs away with his lover when he is a young man. The two men run away to France where they drink wine and cry over the beauty of music and art. They’re of course madly in love and enjoy nothing more than th
Kelly
Nov 06, 2010 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is my suggestion that, if you want to sample Anne Rice, and have never read any of her other works, this may be the book you want to read instead of her most famous novel, "Interview with a Vampire." let me explain.
"The Vampire Lestat" is quite a different novel from the first in the series, because we are dealing with an entirely different vampire than the depressed and vulnerable Louis from Rice's first book. Don't get me wrong, Lestat was the antagonist in Interview but towards the end of
Peter
Jan 20, 2012 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic, read-2012
This was the Audible audio book, unabridged, read by Simon Vance. Who gives a really good performance, I love his vampire voice!

Lestat de Lion court rises from his long hibernation in 1980 and decides to become a rockstar. He puts out an album and to accompany this he writes his autobiography - revealing the story of his youth as well as the history of the race of vampires, which started 4000 years ago in Ancient Egypt.

Some gleaned facts: Anne Rice loves the words: 'preternatural' and 'savage ga
Craig "NEEDS MORE DAMN TIME TO READ !!!!"
Phew!!! Spent most of yesterday and some of today finishing this book. Very seductive read indeed, I do like how the author writes but from time to time I felt my concentration slipping because she goes on just that little bit more than is needed sometimes.
Bart
Apr 25, 2008 Bart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers in general
Recommended to Bart by: Todd
A happy surprise indeed. Perhaps it was a result of low expectations or a prior experience with the movie "Interview with the Vampire" that had me so unprepared to enjoy this novel.

The Vampire Lestat is a great read. It may not have all the literary quality of, say, Cormac McCarthy's equally gruesome accounts, but it is more enjoyable on its first reading.

What makes authors great, of course, is how their works hold up on revisits. Knowing the plotting and the conclusion of Anne Rice's novel, I'm
Stephen
4.0 to 4.5 stars. Anne Rice's re-imagining of the "vampire" mythos is excellent and Lestat is on my list of "All Time Favorite" characters. As good as this novel is, the books that follow:The Queen of the Damned, The Tale of the Body Thief and Memnoch the Devil are even better. Highly Recommended?

Nominee: World Fantasy Award for Best Novel (1986)
Nominee: Locus Award for Best Fantasy Novel (1986)
Olivier Delaye
Jun 09, 2012 Olivier Delaye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my fourth reread (in 15 or so years, mind you) of The Vampire Lestat and honestly it gets better every time. It's just incredible how well this book ages; like, it doesn't feel passé at all and is still very much up to date, even though it was written nearly 30 years ago! The prose is absolutely gorgeous, the story is downright engrossing and, history-wise, very well researched. Really, gothic literature doesn't get any better than this. That said, let me add a caveat here: if long and d ...more
Erika
Oh Lestat de Lioncourt, how can you be this rebel,
how dare you create such trouble while not giving a single thought to your actions.

This is the second book on The Vampire Chronicles, and it is time for Lestat to tell his story. It starts in the year 1984 if my mind is not playing tricks on me,

(wow, i just realized that i was reading this book at the same time with the book 1984. Isn't that weird? book set in 1984 while i was reading 1984... no?... but... are you sure?... not even a little?.
Michelle
Sep 14, 2012 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
TL;DR - it's worth reading if you enjoy the franchise, the characters, and are willing to self-edit (that is, skip the repetitive expositions).

Although I read this book when it was first published, and reread it a time or two in the intervening decades, most recently I "read" this book as an audio book, which is an interesting test for a book. The book is in the first person, so listening to it heightens the effect of Lestat telling you his story; however, I hadn't realized how much of the ponti
Miquel Reina
Anne Rice is definitely one of my favorite authors but as I said in my review for "Interview with the Vampire", in my opinion, Vampire Chronicles saga is divided into two parts; Interview with the Vampire and the rest of the books, especially by the shift in their point of view: the first point of view lies on Louis while in second lies on Lestat. That makes the "Vampire Lestat" and subsequent novels a more passionate and less melancholic mood than Interview with the vampire. Rice plunges us int ...more
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Was a 4 star but changed for personal reasons to a one.
Jess The Bookworm
This is the sequel to Interview with the Vampire, in which Lestat de Lioncourt awakens in the 1980s, reads Louis' account of the events in Interview with the Vampire, and decides to set the record straight.

Lestat takes us back to his upbringing as the son of a Marquis in France, where even as a mortal, he was in the thoes of an existential crisis, filled with the need to escape his family home. He runs away with his lover to Paris, where they join the theatre. It is here that Lestat is turned,
Chris
Sep 05, 2009 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In "Interview With a Vampire", Lestat was the villain, and could be viewed as a cold, unfeeling monster. In the sequel, Lestat gets a chance to 'set the record straight.' Reading HIS account on his life, and the years spent with Louis, he actually manages to gain sympathy, and he fully admits to being a brat prince of the undead, and you fall in love with this vampire who listens to Beethoven while riding a motorcycle down the moonlit streets. Lestat has an ego so large, it is little wonder that ...more
Cecilia
Dec 09, 2008 Cecilia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vampire lovers
Shelves: anne-rice, vampires
Jon-michael
Sep 22, 2009 Jon-michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that defined me. I do mean that I turned goth or vampire or whatever. No... it started me thinking.

The book was great.
Rebecca
You'll notice this took me well over a month to read, which should say all that needs to be said considering how much time I have to read at the moment and how fast I normally read books.

That was going to be my entire review, until I came across this little gem of a line while powering through trying to finish yesterday: (said by Marius to Lestat) "The truth is most women are weak, be they mortal or immortal. But when they are strong, they are absolutely unpredictable" (page 409 in my edition).
Krista Baetiong Tungol
I was so spellbound by this book that I had actually mulled over the idea of stealing Lestat away from Anne Rice—in any way possible :-)

It has been several years since I read The Vampire Lestat, but I still remember how I’d written Lestat several love poems and fancied myself becoming his vampire fledgling; dreamed of hunting alongside him to the very roofs of the Cathedral of Notre Dame or sleeping beside him in his extravagant sarcophagus (ha-ha, those teenage fantasies!).

I finished this book
Amber
Jan 19, 2012 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own
I really enjoyed this novel and was so drawn in by the mind of Lestat. It took me awhile to pick this up after reading "Interview W/ The Vampire" because I felt like Louis was so depressing and I needed a break after reading it. Lestat is so much more charming and his life contains far more intrigue than his American counterparts. This novel cast Lestat in a completely different light, and really shows you just how ridiculous Louis & Claudia may have been being. (Saw that coming, total drama ...more
Maria  (Mhemnoch)
Me atrevería a decir que es el mejor de las crónicas, si no... uno de los mejores sin duda.
Con su re lectura, sigo opinando lo mismo o mejor!
Brutales todos los de la saga, al igual que brutal es Rice :)
Todas las crónicas ocupan lugar de honor en mi estantería.
Al igual que decía con la primera entrega, pese a haberlo leído un par de veces, no "me atrevo" a hacer reseña, por el tiempo que ha pasado, además, no puedo ser objetiva, porque como han sido tantos años de crónicas vampíricas, tantas sen
Gary
May 18, 2015 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the best vampire story by far
A few random thoughts because I won't be reviewing this on my website:

1. Simon Vance is a fantastic narrator.
2. I forgot how sensual Rice's writing is. Not "sexy" but overloaded with sensation. Lestat is a very emotional person who is captivated by sensation and prone to love easily. Rice really infuses her book with that. It's quite astonishing.
3. I absolutely loved how she wove history and myth into it all.
4. Vampires are dark, as they should be.
5. Some parts of the novel were a bit too dra
Baudelaire
Ladies and gentlemen, we want to introduce you to a new publication based on true story, a new autobiography written by famous vampire Lestat de Lioncourt who you might know from his partner, Louis de Pointe du Lac's (one day I will learn his full name), interview released several years ago. This time the narrator is Lestat, he is ready to tell his haunting tale. Here I want to say I liked the idea, someone created, noted or whatever, saying that maybe our beloved narrator invented some facts. T ...more
Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder
Horror Aficionados : Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles coming to TV 15 53 Jun 04, 2017 08:31PM
Plot holes between IWTV and TVL 3 47 Apr 14, 2015 10:12PM
Goodreads Choice ...: The Vampire Lestat (Vampire Chronicles #2) - February 2015 7 36 Feb 18, 2015 03:43AM
Is it worth it? 63 628 Jan 29, 2015 02:35PM
What did you all think about this one? 33 208 Nov 21, 2014 08:01AM
Anne Rice's Vampires: Gabrielle in The Vampire Lestat 2 55 Aug 14, 2014 10:30AM
  • Children of the Vampire (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #2)
  • Anne Rice's The Tale of the Body Thief (A Graphic Novel)
  • Vampire World I: Blood Brothers (Necroscope, #6)
  • Drawing Blood
  • The Vampire Companion
  • Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #3)
  • Blood Pact (Vicki Nelson, #4)
  • Midnight Blue: Sonja Blue Collection
  • The Vampire Book: The Encyclopedia of the Undead
  • Traveling with the Dead (James Asher, #2)
  • A Density of Souls
  • I, Vampire: The Confessions of a Vampire - His Life, His Loves, His Strangest Desires ...
  • The Forbidden (Vampire Huntress, #5)
Anne Rice (born Howard Allen Frances O'Brien) is a best-selling American author of gothic, supernatural, historical, erotica, and later religious themed books. Best known for The Vampire Chronicles, her prevailing thematical focus is on love, death, immortality, existentialism, and the human condition. She was married to poet Stan Rice for 41 years until his death in 2002. Her books have sold near ...more
More about Anne Rice...

The Vampire Chronicles (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • The Queen of the Damned (The Vampire Chronicles, #3)
  • The Tale of the Body Thief (The Vampire Chronicles, #4)
  • Memnoch the Devil (The Vampire Chronicles, #5)
  • The Vampire Armand (The Vampire Chronicles, #6)
  • Merrick (The Vampire Chronicles #7)
  • Blood And Gold (The Vampire Chronicles, #8)
  • Blackwood Farm (The Vampire Chronicles, #9)
  • Blood Canticle (The Vampire Chronicles, #10)
  • Prince Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles, #11)

“None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.” 5411 likes
“The prince is never going to come. Everyone knows that; and maybe sleeping beauty's dead.” 867 likes