Start by marking “The Bride Thief” as Want to Read:
The Bride Thief

The Bride Thief

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  1,059 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
HAS ENGLAND’S MOST INFAMOUS BRIDE THIEF FINALLY MET HIS MATCH?

At six-and-twenty, Samantha Briggeham knew her marital prospects were fading by the season and she was pleased by the thought. She had no intention of being betrothed–especially against her will–to a man she did not love. She had a plan...and it didn’t include being swept into a pair of powerful arms and spirite
Published March 26th 2002 by Dell (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Bride Thief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bride Thief

Julianna
May 11, 2008 Julianna rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Lighhearted Regency Romance or Romantic Comedy
Reviewed for THC Reviews
The Bride Thief was a delightful read in so many ways. It was utterly romantic, as sweet as the honey Samantha used in her hand creams, and frequently made me laugh out loud. This story was a fun, fairy-tale fantasy with an eccentric, plain-Jane spinster heroine who finds her hero in the form of a man who carries off would-be brides from unwanted arranged marriages. The Bride Thief was a charming tale that had a refreshing lightness and certain aura of innocence about it,
Crista
May 19, 2010 Crista rated it it was amazing
This may sound like an oxymoron, but this Romance Novel was utterly "Romantic". The reason I say this is simply this....there were so many "ahhhhhh" moments, I stopped counting them!

D'Alessandro is quickly becoming a "new favorite" of mine. She is so witty and writes characters that you swear you've met before. Red Roses Mean Love, her debut novel, made my Top Romance Books Ever list and the Bride Thief, while maybe not as touching as her first, may also make the list. I was glued to it until I
seton
Feb 12, 2009 seton rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of cute and light historicals
That JacquieD. She really has charm up the wazoo. She writes wallpaper historicals and I usually prefer something more meaty and serious but her combination of likable H/Hs, nicely developed sexual tension, and witty dialogue is just winsome to me.

It also doesn’t hurt that I adore heroes with secret identities. That’s the reason why I primarily read this. Of course, the idea of a brigand who saves women from unwanted marriages is a little out there. You either accept it or you dont. Once I did,
Erin
A magical historical romance where the 'hero in disguise' meets his match in an eccentric bluestocking.

Words can not describe how much I loved this book. The concept is actually something you don't see a lot in historical romance.(much to my surprise and horror-THERE NEEDS TO BE MORE BOOKS LIKE THIS-Like the movie 'The Abduction Club'-This 'genre' is fucking ripe with opportunity and it pisses me off that barely anyone is taking advantage of that.)

Most of the 'hero in disguise' books I've come
Susanne
Dec 25, 2011 Susanne rated it liked it
Shelves: genre-historical
This wasn't completely my cup of tea. Too much Edward Cullen in New Moon for my taste, that is too much "I want you but cannot be with you for you're own good"-angst - way too much.

Samantha Briggeham is a spinster heroine who has long discarded any possibility for a love match, and will not marry without. When her parents set up a betrothal against her wish she has her own plan to escape him, and that plan did not involve rescue by the Bride Thief.

I liked this book, but it lacked that certain s
Maureen Feeney
Mar 01, 2010 Maureen Feeney rated it really liked it
I love this author.
Samantha Briggeham (Sammy)is 26, she is not your typical heroine she is plain and wears thick glasses, but she is highly intelligent, eccentric, kind and witty(I loved her). She has resigned herself to being a spinster but her mother has different ideas and arranges for sammi to marry. Eric, the Earl of Wesley is feeling guilty because he did not protect his sister from an abusive arranged marraige, so he dons a mask and rescues women from similar fates. Eric kidnaps Sammie,
ChloeLeeNH
Dec 08, 2008 ChloeLeeNH rated it really liked it
This was a nice light book... no major drama... even the conflict didn't take away from the lightness of the book. Seemed the days flew by and I loved how the heroine was not a typical beauty but was quirky and smart. I think I notice that from a lot of Jacquie's book and it really adds to the connection you feel.
Avid Booker
Oct 07, 2016 Avid Booker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People Who Like A Getting To Know Their Lovers with the Lovers Themselves
Not the most interesting read, but comfortable. Which I'm starting to expect from D'Alessandro. She makes me fall in love with her characters every time. I honestly always expect for her heroines and heroes to fall in love with patience and good timing. I feel like we get to know the characters and why they love each other.

Muscle Memory by Lights came to mind with this book. I'm sure you'll stumble along the reason why.

Our heroine, I liked her, just as I always like heroines by this author. She
Juliana Philippa
Nov 29, 2008 Juliana Philippa rated it it was amazing
Wonderful historical romance - eccentric "blue-stocking" meets her prince charming!!

Setting: Kent, 1820
Sensuality rating: 7 (chemistry / sexual tension between the two characters was intense; wonderfully written kissing scenes and one love scene)

The Bride Thief is a thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining historical romance. Personally, I love books with the quiet wallflower-type of girl, or basically someone who is more eccentric than the (sometimes frivolous and far-too-giggly) beautiful girls o
Kyraryker/WhiskeyintheJar
It took a while for me to get into this book. The main lead character Sammie(Samantha) seemed almost too silly, cutesy, and absent minded. She is 26 yrs, unmarried (Oh the shame!) a bluestocking, and carries a toad around with her. I'm 50 pgs in and not sure if I am feeling her yet.

The cabin scene was finally where this book grabbed me and I finally found myself getting involved with the story. Eric or The Bride Thief kidnapped Sammie thinking she was about to be married to a man she was not i
Kathy
I didn't finish this one but I'm giving it 3 stars because I liked about half of it. Then it just fell apart. I was bored. It's not that I didn't like the characters. There was just something….missing.

The book was sitting on my nightstand. I looked at it with a rather pouty kind of dismayed frown on my face. While picking it up a low moan escaped. I thought "crap, I really need to finish this". Then I thought "why?" I have a gazillion books on my TBR. Thus, this one hits the non-keeper box and t
María
Feb 11, 2015 María rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine, book, re-read, read-2015
I love this story because of Sammie. She is my perfect heroine: smart, a little nerd, funny, lovely and good sister, especially for Hubert.
He is a great character too, trying to save all those brides because he can not save his old sister, Margaret.
The fact that Eric kidnapped his own bride because he thought she didn't want him as husband while she was trying to free him was very emotional and maybe my favourite part :)
nurmawati
Sep 18, 2011 nurmawati rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, hr, buku-eng

kasih 4.5 bintang soalnya ceritanya sweet dan adegan uhuk2 nya di danau bo...sambil berendam...bisaan deh ah hihihihi....

siap2 ya...spoiler abis dan panjang banget nih :p

Ceritanya ttg Eric Landsdowne, the dashing and seductive Earl of Wesley....dia tampan, charming, kaya tapi punya rahasia....
dia adalah yng mereka juluki 'the bride thief'....pencuri yang menculik gadis2 yang mau di nikahin paksa sama orang tua nya...dia menawarkan gadis2 tersebut memulai hidup baru entah di amerika atau eropa...
20012206
Sep 03, 2014 20012206 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015-75
Me encantó, es la primera obra que leo de esta escritora pero no será la última,
Sammie es un amor, con su inocencia e ingenuidad lo va seduciendo y se va enamorando, y él es el protagonista ideal. lo amé
Deb
Jul 25, 2010 Deb rated it it was amazing
Love her books. Have never read one of her historicals, but already am thoroughly enjoying it. Funny books, witty writing, and the hero is to-die-for.
Mariné Ponce
Aug 05, 2010 Mariné Ponce rated it it was amazing
Había sido raptada por error... ¿O se trataba del hombre que el destino le había reservado?

A los veintiséis años, Samantha Briggeham sabía que sus perspectivas de casarse iban desvaneciéndose poco a poco, y se sentía complacida por ello. No tenía la intención de comprometerse con un hombre al que no amaba. Tenía un plan... El cual no incluía verse secuestrada por un jinete enmascarado.

La noticia del heroico rescate de Sammie de una boda no deseada la convirtió en el tema de conversación de todo
Janie
Rating: 5 stars.
August 8, 2015

I had started this book, as it was already in my 'to read' folder since early 2011. I never suspected that I would've already read it, although the plot and characters sounded familiar, the plots where tropes that was overly done in many historical romance books I've read.

It was only after having read 25% of the book that I was sure I've already read it before. Now skimming through the ending, I can confirm that yes, I had read it! I estimate 2012-2013.

So, here is
Karen
Jun 16, 2014 Karen rated it did not like it
No, Samantha, I took everything from you. Self-hatred battered him, and he sank to his knees, the moist earth seeping through his breeches. Squeezing his eyes shut, he rested his forehead on his clenched fists. How the hell was it possible to feel so numb, yet hurt so excruciatingly bad at the same time?

Yes, read that and WEEP from laughter. I could not stop laughing at some of these scenes. So over dramatic and ridiculous! For a romance novel, the romance between the protags were terribly unr
Mo
For a time back in the 80’s & 90’s, my reading material of choice was frequently bodice rippers, historical fiction, and regency romances with a few contemporary best sellers thrown in for good measure. Most of them were pretty steamy (blush) &/or overly romantic, but I read them during a time in my life when I found myself as a single parent, and these books fit the bill. I found them to be highly entertaining.

I recently donated a slew of them, but I wanted to catalog them all the same
Ladiibbug
Jan 05, 2009 Ladiibbug rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Historical Fiction Fans!
A very nice & amusing historical romance. Veering away from the hero as rake formula, our hero is The Bride Thief, a mysterious masked man who rescues young women trapped into an upcoming wedding against their wishes.

At age 26, Samantha Briggeham is smart, scientifically curious, and while pretty, not nearly the beautiful and ladylike equal of her sisters. Samantha is perfectly happy with the laboratory and experiements with flora and fauna that she and Hubert, her nine year old brother, con
Desiree *~*~* LiveReadCollect
Cindy
Mar 03, 2015 Cindy rated it liked it
Regency romance with sex. This is a stand alone book. Copyright 2002.
I would probably give this one 3.5 stars.

I liked Samantha & Eric. They were a good H/h. So good, that they get reincarnated in "Sleepless At Midnight" as Sarah & Matthew. I just don't get why romance authors have to make their heroines who wear glasses legally bind.

The concept of the Bride Thief is a good one. I haven't seen that plot device before in a romance novel. I have seen a variation of the "alphabet game"
Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫
Dec 26, 2010 Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫ rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫ by: Mckris10
Shelves: romance-novels, 2010
This is a wonderful historical romance. You have Samantha who is quiet happy to be spinster until her father decides to try and marry her off. Of course independant Samantha is having none of that, but it leads to her being mistakenly rescued by the elusive Bride Theif. The Bride Thief just happens to be Eric, Earl of Wesley who is determined to save ladies from unwanted marriages to make up for being unable to save his sister. From the moment that Samanthat and Eric meet they are attracted to o ...more
Ilze
Nov 15, 2011 Ilze rated it liked it
I enjoyed the first 2/3 of the book - the heroine is charming and different (I can see why she appeals to Mrs Giggles, who seems to value feistiness in heroines above all else), and the story had enough spark and humour to allow me to suspend my disbelief in the somewhat silly premise of the story. But the last 1/3 fizzled - charm and humour turned into melodrama and an almost endless cycle of misunderstandings, and the secondary romance, which could have added another layer of emotional satisfa ...more
Anuhya
That I love you. That I want you to be my wife. My love. The mother of my children. I want to see the world with you and share all those adventures you dream of. Explore the ruins of Pompeü. Trek through the Colosseum, visit the Uffizi, and view the works of Bernini and Michelangelo. Swim in the warm waters of the Adriatic… I want to tell you that I do not want one day of my life to pass without seeing your smile, hearing your laugh, and touching your skin. And that I'm dying inside knowing that ...more
Zee1
I kept thinking "what am I doing? What am I reading?" while reading this.. but it really wasn't that bad. I have now realized I have a problem when it comes to downloading every single free kindle book available... and was trying to make my way through them.. some of them are so bad it hurts my brain. This one wasn't one of them.. but you'll need to be in a trashy romance, fluffy mood for it. Which might be why I didn't enjoy it as much as I would have if I had been in that mood.
Ann
May 20, 2011 Ann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance-regency
This book was recommended to me when I was in the mood for a fluffy sweet romance novel, but everything I tried came up short. This fit the bill in every way. I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.

It had a unique premise, and good characters. Yes, the plot could have been resolved much earlier with better communication between the leads, but their reasons for NOT communicating well sprang organically from their characters and the situation.
Rishi Diams
May 02, 2009 Rishi Diams rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Thoroughly enjoyable. Only a few minor nitpicks: 1) the author appeared to like the word "cosh." While it was funny the first time - very funny - it got old as the book continued; and 2) "And then he/she muttered something that sounded like the exact opposite of what he/she had just said."

Otherwise, I liked the characters, their motivation seemed real, their dialogue was witty and the sexual tension was fantastic.
Katyana
Sep 29, 2010 Katyana rated it really liked it
I thought it was really cute. I liked both Sammie and Eric quite a lot, and I thought that their willingness to make such tremendous sacrifices for each other was incredibly endearing. Definitely a fun read.
Hortensia
Jun 29, 2014 Hortensia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sencillamente deliciosa.
Amena y de ágil lectura. Quizá se detiene un poco en un mismo asunto, pero los diálogos entre los protagonistas son divertidos y emocionales.
Hacía mucho tiempo que no disfrutaba tanto con una novela romántica.
  • All About Seduction
  • One Night Scandal (The Spinster Club, #5)
  • Compromised
  • A Midsummer Night's Sin (Blackthorn Brothers #2)
  • After the Abduction (Swanlea Spinsters, #3)
  • A Winter Scandal (Legend of St. Dwynwen, #1)
  • Merely Married
  • Dear Maggie
  • Yours 2 Keep
  • A Groom of One's Own (The Writing Girls, #1)
  • Royal Weddings
  • Miss Winthorpe's Elopement (Belston & Friends #1)
  • My Darling Caroline
  • The Wicked Games of a Gentleman (Boscastle, #4)
  • Once a Gentleman (Ladies' Fashionable Cabinet, #3)
  • The Husband Trap (The Trap Trilogy, #1)
  • Her Notorious Viscount (Stoneworth, #1)
  • After Midnight (Cabot, #1)
Growing up on Long Island, New York, I fell in love with romance at an early age. I dreamed of being swept away by a dashing rogue riding a spirited stallion. When my hero finally showed up, he was dressed in jeans and drove a Volkswagon, but I recognized him anyway. We married after both graduating from Hofstra University and are now living our happily-ever-afters in Atlanta, Georgia, along with ...more
More about Jacquie D'Alessandro...

“It was no difficult to protect a citadel that had never been stormed.” 0 likes