Start by marking “Bogeys and Bandits: The Making of a Fighter Pilot” as Want to Read:
Bogeys and Bandits: The Making of a Fighter Pilot

Bogeys and Bandits: The Making of a Fighter Pilot

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  105 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The perfect gift for Father's Day: "Simply the best explanation in print of why naval aviation is the ultimate challenge, and what it takes to get there". -- Stephen Coonts, author of Flight of the IntruderAmericans are fascinated by the undeniable mystique of the elite world of Navy fighter pilots. In Bogeys and Bandits, Robert Gandt takes readers on a thrilling ride in t ...more
Published June 1st 1998 by Penguin Books (first published June 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Bogeys and Bandits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bogeys and Bandits

Jesper Jorgensen
I have a soft spot for naval aviation and albeit the language style is a bit too much to the 'pop-side' for my taste I actually like the book. It leaves you in no doubt that the days of 'kick the tyres, light the fires' are no more. As well as the extremely extrovert, testosterone laden, hard drinking fighter jocks from the 50s, 60s and 70s. Surely fighter jocks still has to be aggressive but an element of science has been added. Pure talent doesn't count anymore.

Can't help thinking of the WWII
Janet
Nov 04, 2009 Janet rated it really liked it
Opening the pages of Bogeys and Bandits, I received a little surprise from God and have to smile, with joy really, at how all things are connected in this amazing circle of life:

“Splash One!” Mongo called on the radio.
“Splash Two!” called someone else.
Two? Mongo had forgotten for a moment: The controller called out two Bandits. Someone had just taken out the second one. Over on the opposite side of the formation, the second MiG was trailing fire and smoke, going down like a gutshot crow. Lieut
Rajesh
This is a gem of a book every aviation enthusiast and budding fighter pilot should read. If this had come out before Top Gun I would probably not have wanted to watch the movie. Reading about carrier landing and other aspects of jet training is much much more intriguing than watching it. One can relish and savour the moment that much longer, as the thrill of most aspects of the flight and training unfolds slowly, as can only be possible through words.

Through the use of real life stories Gandt ha
William B.
Oct 04, 2014 William B. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Remarkable Book

This book is a monument to naval aviation, and Gandt is a remarkable writer. Ahh, to fly the F18. Heaven!
Max
Oct 17, 2011 Max rated it it was amazing
If you are an aviation nut like me, this is a definite must read. You get to follow a group of young aspiring pilots who want to take it to the top, literally and figuratively by becoming Naval aviators qualified for carrier operations. The book is written extremely well, blending in the (rather few)technical descriptions and the action scenes with the personal battle that all of the people in the book. This is also one of the few books that I can read again and again and never get tired of.
Heather
Oct 10, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
I went on a big military kick this summer and especially read a lot of Air Force/pilot-related books. This was one of my favorites. Kind of made it feel miraculous that more pilots don't die in the line of duty. Some really interesting stuff.
Eric
Jun 15, 2009 Eric rated it it was ok
Gandt reliving the days I am enjoying right now. Maybe I'll right a book with a high-speed title someday. Probably not.
Gergely "nemo"
Oct 02, 2012 Gergely "nemo" rated it liked it
Very interesting topic and stories, not the best writing.
George Poppenwimer
George Poppenwimer marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Paul D Ellis
Paul D Ellis rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Paul Strabbing
Paul Strabbing rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
Tehila
Tehila marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Giordano
Giordano marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Theo Danciu
Theo Danciu rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Joseph Kuban
Joseph Kuban marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Michael M. Miller
Michael M. Miller rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2016
Pablo
Pablo marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Josh
Josh rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2016
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Misty Hawkins
Misty Hawkins rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Pawan Shodan
Pawan Shodan marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Evan Weeks
Evan Weeks rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Bruno Benvenuto
Bruno Benvenuto rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Darryl
Darryl rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Nick Wingham-Boyer
Nick Wingham-Boyer rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2016