Start by marking “Knight of the Demon Queen (Winterlands, #3)” as Want to Read:
Knight of the Demon Queen (Winterlands, #3)

Knight of the Demon Queen (Winterlands #3)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  437 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Once the most powerful mage in the land, Jenny Waynest is now a broken woman. After being possessed and corrupted by the demon Amayon, she lost everything she holds dear--even the trust of her husband. Yet Lord John Aversin has torments of his own: memories of the beautiful and cruel Aohila, demon queen of a rival hell, whom he'd tricked into providing the help he needed t ...more
Published October 31st 2000 by Del Rey (first published February 8th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Knight of the Demon Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knight of the Demon Queen

Wendell Adams
Dragonshadow was a book mainly about demons ruining the lives of our main characters. So how can Barbara Hambly top that you ask?

Well, yeah of little faith. I mean, all she has to do is send our favorite characters to hell both physically and mentally, torture them a bit more, make them treat each other like dirt, and basically turn up the depressive “realism” to extra high max degrees.

Our main characters, John Aversin and Jenny Waynest, are broken people here; all signs of their previous normal
Varin
I love Barbara Hambly's writing, but I cannot read this book. She sent the characters to hell in the last book and I read the first sentence of this one, burst into tears, and put the book down.

Korynn
The story begins with the characters broken from the last book and searching for ways to recover from events. But it gets worse. If you are seeking a fantasy novels of fun and games and hope, stop, this is not your book. This is a depressing tome about how Lord John Aversin seeks a cure for his wife and son, a safety for his people from demons, and a quest in which he travels into worlds unfamiliar and akin to ours. Especially jarring is his visit into a world similar but technically advanced to ...more
Samantha
I started this one but stopped reading after about a third of the book. I haven't been able to pick it back up and it's been several months. I think I'm just in a time where I don't want to read particularly dark and dismal books. Since I haven't finished this one, I don't know if it has a happy ending or not but I don't want to wade through the dark to get there right now.
sabisteb
Band 4: Der Drachentöter:
Dieser Band steht ganz unter dem großen Thema der Selbstfindung. Jenny hat ihre Magie immer noch nicht zurückgewonnen bis sie zu sich selbst findet und sich akzeptiert wie sie ist und lernt ihre Kräfte aus ihrer Vergangeheit, ihrer Gegenwart und ihrem Selbst zu schöpfen.
Die Dämonen haben eine Seuche ins Königreich Bel geschickt und begonnen die Körper der Toten zu übernehmen. Der letzte Kampf unter dem Drachenstern hat begonnen und nur Jenny, John und Morkeleb können das
sabisteb
Dieser Band ist fast als sozialkritisch zu bezeichnen. John bereist Höllen, von denen eine eigentlich ein Paradies erscheint. Alles ist wunderschön und lieblich, nur die Lebenwesen erweisen sich als gefählich und grausam.
Eine der Höllen stellt sich nach einiger Zeit als eine weitere "normale" Welt der Menschen heraus, obwohl sie eigentlich fast schlimmer als einige der Höllen erscheint. Es ist eine Welt, die der unseren sehr ähnlich ist. Eine Welt in der "augenscheinlich nur die Armen fett sind"
Terry
Not up to Hambly's standards of storytelling and character development, this volume of the Winterlands series is a weak link, however, it is still better than much fantasy writing.
Emmanuelle
Much better, for me, than the precedent. My only problem was with the last part of the journey of John Aversin.
Jim
(view spoiler) ...more
Rebecca Huston
Interesting entry in the series, and with a whallop of an ending that leaves the reader hanging, but this one still didn't quite meet my expectations. This goes in a very different direction, and has a very dark and rather hopeless feel to it. Here's hoping that the fourth book will be better. Just barely four stars and somewhat recommended.

For the longer review, please go here:
Jaipal
The book is quite dark and I was going what is going on. It was then I found out that the author was going through a bad patch in her life and it showed in her writing. All in all, it is a good read, except you just wished the characters did not have to go through such a rough spot. If you loved the first book, and do not want the idealistic picture to be shattered, do not read this book. But if you do, things improve in the next book, so it is worth going on.
Pkeets
This is an excellent book. I love the way Barbara Hambly makes here characters seem so alive and entertaining. It's part of a series that I've recently discovered, and I had to look for all of them. The characters struggle against the evils and problems within their own lives. They suffer losses, but managed to prevail in the end.
Lurple
The first book in this trilogy, Dragonsbane was one of my favorites as a teen, and it was years before I realized there were sequels. Unfortunately I was kind of turned off by the later books do to their focus on the very unhappy Jenny. Still a good book, I just didn't like the way the series turned out.
Angela Larsen
No time to write a review! I need to read the conclusion!
Judith
I love the characters but found the time in Hell for John to get somewhat boring and repetitive. THe ending was a surprise though.
Felicity
Helen
cliffhanger ending, good plot & characters
Kevin Es
Kevin Es marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Walter Underwood
Walter Underwood marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Lynn Allen
Lynn Allen marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Pat
Pat added it
Mar 30, 2015
Michael Gordon
Michael Gordon marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Ana Vicente
Ana Vicente marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
  • King Kelson's Bride
  • Fortress of Dragons (Fortress, #4)
  • The Deryni Archives
  • Luck of the Wheels (Windsingers, #4)
  • Eventide (Tales of the Dragon's Bard, #1)
  • Dragonmaster: The Omnibus Edition (Dragonmaster)
  • The Dragon Quintet
  • Dragonology: Deluxe Field Guide and Models (Ologies)
  • The Coming of Wisdom (Seventh Sword, #2)
  • The Coldfire Trilogy: Black Sun Rising/ When True Night Falls/ Crown of Shadows
  • Mistress of Dragons (The Dragonvarld Trilogy, #1)
  • Only a Shadow (Fated Blades, #0)
  • The Ouroboros Cycle, Book Two: A Cautionary Tale for Young Vampires
  • Adieux et retrouvailles (L'assassin royal, #13)
  • Dragon Moon (Dragon Delasangre, #2)
  • The Hidden Dragon: The Stargods #1
  • When the Saints (The Brothers Magnus, #2)
  • La secte maudite (L'assassin royal, #8)
aka Barbara Hamilton

Ranging from fantasy to historical fiction, Barbara Hambly has a masterful way of spinning a story. Her twisty plots involve memorable characters, lavish descriptions, scads of novel words, and interesting devices. Her work spans the Star Wars universe, antebellum New Orleans, and various fantasy worlds, sometimes linked with our own.

"I always wanted to be a writer but everyone
More about Barbara Hambly...

Winterlands (4 books)
  • Dragonsbane (Winterlands #1)
  • Dragonshadow (Winterlands, #2)
  • Dragonstar (Winterlands, #4)
Children of the Jedi (Star Wars) Dragonsbane (Winterlands #1) The Time of the Dark (Darwath, #1) Those Who Hunt the Night (James Asher, #1) The Armies of Daylight (Darwath, #3)